Deliverance impressions...

OpethPat

May 29, 2001
Visit site
From C.Bruni of BW&BK :

'Oh it's good! It's damn good!

Nothing like BWP by any means, more of an underground feel, but very authentic and vintage-like almost... it's also quite brutal and disturbing, more or less an album for the purist Opeth fan, with that elusive vibe that Morningrise had. You really need to get in the mood for this trip...'

Originally posted by CladInDarkness
Well being that BWP is by far the worst opeth album, it probably slays it. It's what does BWP lack that Deliverance has. Atleast I hope so.
BWP the worst? That's a matter of opinion. But I wouldn't have wanted a second BWP anyway. Can't wait for D1...

I disagree that it is by far the worst. It's better than Still Life, discounting that The Moor is better than any song on BWP. But that's just my opinion...

BWP lacks the austere distant feeling that the others had more of. It seems a lot closer. Sounds a little more modern too. Orchid sounds like it could have been made 20 years ago. Maybe it's the same thing. Maybe BWP just seems different because it's the first album that came out after I got into the band and thus wasn't just an accepted part of the catalog. It ties MAYH for favorite, though.

Deliverance sounds like the kind of album that you have to try to get into, even if you're a fan. Which is good, that makes music last much longer.

I'm thinking a mix of BWP and Morningrise, which woud be interesting... I disagree majorly that BWP is their worst, but it's all a matter of opinion.

You're so right...so frequently a band will have an undisputed one or two best albums, and others that clearly fall behind.

The fact that each Opeth album is regarded as "best" by different people on this board does say a lot.

This is why I am confident in the quality of "Deliverance"...I have no reason to doubt that Opeth will maintain the consistent quality they have held so strongly since day one.

God/Satan bless them. :headbang:

That sounds good... I'm figuring I already know what to expect by looking at the new cover.. it's unlike any of the others, yet darker, more personal... so taht's where the 'disturbing' may come from... can't wait to hear it.... I'm just pissed that everyone else is getting to hear it before us, fuckin unfair I say!

btw, I can feel the anti-fanboy elite squad all over this one...

I'm really looking forward to Deliverance. Hopefully it will be as good as everyone has said.

As for the favorite albums comment, I will say that my favorite Opeth albums are Still Life and Orchid. BWP is my least favorite, but it is still excellent. At this point, I'd say if Mikael Akerfeldt is involved, it's usually good.

Originally posted by CladInDarkness
Well being that BWP is by far the worst opeth album, it probably slays it. It's what does BWP lack that Deliverance has. Atleast I hope so.

That is entirely an opinion. I think BWP is the best, but I do have a feeling that Deliverance will be better.