Devildriver and Opeth

Moonspell put on a fucking great show when I saw them. I was more entertained by them then Opeth *hides*... probably cause I didn't like the way Opeth preformed the new songs they added to the show... but Deliverence fucking killed me so hard, they played they sooooooo well.

you never want an opening band to be better than the headliner, because most of the money is intended to come from the headlining band...thats why there was that issue when bodom toured with iced earth and alot of people came for bodom and then left :D

Any momentum Moonspell had gained during the night (Which was none) was lost when they got out the voodoo stick dealie. A good half of the crowd burst out laughing. Devil Driver was every bit as horrible too, and they didnt even have amusing props. :yuk:

Well, I for one like Devildriver up to a point. Houston liked Devildriver... moshpit and crowd surfing by the first song.

Moonspell kicked ass, although some technical problems with the mic put them back 20 minutes...

Opeth was undescribeable

I went to the Houston show and the crowd response didn't seem as well as it could have been. But what do you expect. I know myself and the person I was with went to see Opeth and I know tons of other people that were there went to see Opeth and thought DevilDriver sucked balls.

Themoor666 said:
yes... and Cincinatti Loved moonspell, because they are A GOOD BAND! and they put on a good show. Dorian gray I know was there now, and he can back me up on this I hope.. They were good (I think at least)
moonspell were good and they DID put on a good show. i felt they put forth alot of effort and that goes along way with me. however, i didnt understand the voodoo stick and thought it was kinda silly. thats me though and im sure there were lots of people who thought it was cool.

devildriver, however, was thouroughly embarassing....

Yea DD should of been touring with Slipknot or some hardcore band. I felt bad for them they wer really cool guys, they just shouldent of been touring with Opeth. I dont like there music but there better than some bands I have heard. moonspell was a little cheesy but they wer pretty good I like his vocals very smooth death growl.

So many people like to talk about things they know nothing about...

The record label is a small part of setting up the tour. The FINAL word on who is on the tour is the booking agent, who Opeth has hired to set them up on tours. The booker for North America is even listed in the Lamentations DVD, so find his email, and ask him why he put it together like that. I'll bet his answer is money. A band get's on a tour like this one of two ways. They either pay the highest buy on price, or the booking agent feels he can make the most money from the bands draw. In a money standpoint, Devil Driver made sense, guessing they would draw their own crowd, which they did. Moonspell, not only fitting in with Opeth very well, had CM to back them on the tour, which has a bit more money then some of the smaller labels.

Opeth has no say in who they tour with, because they choose to not have say. This is the way they set it up, and this is one less thing they need to think about. People want to bitch about it, contact the booker.

I guess I get to be the only person here who's favorite band is Opeth but still think that Devil Driver kicked some ass. DD are fucking great, I picture people dying violently while listening to them. Any music that conveys aggression that well wins some points with me.

Novembers Paul said:

The record label is a small part of setting up the tour. The FINAL word on who is on the tour is the booking agent, who Opeth has hired to set them up on tours. The booker for North America is even listed in the Lamentations DVD, so find his email, and ask him why he put it together like that. I'll bet his answer is money. A band get's on a tour like this one of two ways. They either pay the highest buy on price, or the booking agent feels he can make the most money from the bands draw. In a money standpoint, Devil Driver made sense, guessing they would draw their own crowd, which they did. Moonspell, not only fitting in with Opeth very well, had CM to back them on the tour, which has a bit more money then some of the smaller labels.

Opeth has no say in who they tour with, because they choose to not have say. This is the way they set it up, and this is one less thing they need to think about. People want to bitch about it, contact the booker.
i found that very interesting. if you have anything else to say regarding the business/legal side of music, id like to hear it.

Yeah DevilDriver should of toured with someone where the crowd was angry because that seemed to be the way Devil Driver presented them selves.

Novembers Paul said:

very good call , paul.

Themoor666 said:
yea and moonspell thanked Mikael and sent out a song to Him, I think it was Mephisto?
i believe youre right about that one. i clearly remember that song for some reason. moonspell was quite (and rightly so) respectful of opeth. DD was too but was kinda immature about it with all the "fuck"s and what not. "opeth are fucking here and they fucking rule fuck fuck fuck!" kinda silly. oh well. DD was touring with opeth and i wasnt, so they deserve a little credit.

I don't like Devildriver.
I like Moonspell.

But that doesn't matter.

I felt the lineup should have been

DevilDriver
Moonspell
Opeth

I think putting DD after MS ruined the mood of the concert.

DD would have prepared everyone for the night, MS would have set the tone, and of course (like always) Opeth would have/did own the night.

BTW, I was at the Orlando show and although the MS guitarist was having problems with his guitar, they kicked ass.

Devildriver- God damnit, who are these guys?? The lead vocalist looked like the biggest poser in the world. So did the bassist. The only guy who didn’t look like a complete fucktard was this guy with really long hair who was shaking it all over the place and not really doing anything with his guitar---so I guess he did look like a complete fucktard…oh well.

Anyway, the guy went off on this spiel about how his parents were working “in a blue collar job their entire lives” and how he’d been working in a blue collar job his entire life. I mean, just because you can mop a fucking floor doesn’t mean you can start up a decent metal band and be all fucking angry because you mopped floors all your life. What a cunt.

And next up, there was Moonspell. The instrumentals were decent, and surprisingly the crowd wasn’t really as enthusiastic during their show as they were during Devildriver. There was no question about it though, Moonspell was definetly better quality music. They were from Portugal, so the guy’s accent was a little awkward, but hey, I found it pretty cool. And besides, he was so goddamn enthusiastic about his music that I just had to jump around and yell out “fuckyeah!” while everyone else was nodding their heads to the beat. The atmosphere was awesome, the noise was fucking deafening, and I sure would’ve paid to kill my ears on Moonspell only, instead of Cockdriver (that’s right, Cockdriver).

By the time Moonspell’s show came to the end, the crowd was going absolutely insane. people were screaming out “OPETH!” Mikael, Lindgren, Lopez and Mendez came onstage at long last, and everyone went wild and screaming. Including us. Unlike the first two bands, these guys were totally casual about their performance. They KNEW they were damn good. Here are the songs they played for us hardcore fans, in order:

Masters Apprentices
The Drapery Falls
In My Time Of Need
The Moor
Windowpane
April Ethereal
Deliverance
Blackwater Park

Between songs, Mikael chatted to the audience, showing his casual humor and witty trolling capabilities. While the lead vocalist from Devildriver ranted on about how the audience should go drink and mess themselves up, and end up in a bed with a stranger, obviously to look “badass” during their performance, Opeth didn’t have to act like posers to get the audience roaring. Mikael’s advice was more to the effect of:“Don’t drink and drive!” *laughing with his bandmember Peter Lindgren afterwards*

Once the legendary masters of metal had to leave, the audience chanted for them to come back. The sound of “Opeth! Opeth! Opeth!” reverberated around the room. It was so goddamn amazing. After about a minute or so of that chanting, they did come back. It was so awesome! All of the audience, including us, screamed our lungs out in gratitude for those guys. We all wanted to hear Demon Of The Fall included in their performance, and that’s precisely what they played for us.

Mikael: “Here is a song that we recorded… while we were worshipping our lord…”
Audience: *silence*
Mikael: “…Satan.”
Audience: *goes completely wild cheering*
Carlos, Alex, Me: *lol*

And with that, they played Demon Of The Fall. It was the greatest performance ever, convincing me once and for all of the sheer talent of Mikael, Lindgren, Mendez and ESPECIALLY that crazy drummer mofo Lopez. He is truly Jesus at drumming.

that's my experience of that tour in a nutshell