DEVILDRIVER and SOIL Confirmed for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009

From a totally selfish standpoint, however, we, your fans, would love to see you alongside other bands of a similar genre or theme. That way, when we travel halfway across the country and pay for flights, hotels, taxis, and strippers, we're getting our moneys worth. And with this economy, we'd be paying for lap dances with food stamps.

Wait... you can only pay for lap dances with food stamps if you're eat.... OHHHHH, I get it now!... :loco:

But come on, this is why we fly to Heathen Crusade. This is why we fly to ProgPower. With all due respect, I'm struggling to understand why anyone would want to fly to Chicago to see one band (unless it was a once-in-a-lifetime reunion or some cult offering.)
Not surprisingly, we're on the same page here.

Somebody once told me the other day that they couldn't understand why any Opeth fan wouldn't want to own at least one Novembers Doom CD.
While I wasn't the one who said that to you (or maybe I was), I can't understand that either. They're similar, yet different enough, that it's impossible to fathom someone liking one and not the other. Especially when you consider the two bands probably boast the two best Death-style vocalists on the planet (Stanne being the only other vocalist on that level).

Just as an example, imagine if you ended up in a US fest with a line up like this:

Opeth
My Dying Bride
Agalloch
Novembers Doom
Gwynbleidd
Fen
I'd book a ticket for that festival without blinking. Swap in Wolves in the Throne Room, Darkestrah, Daylight Dies, Naglfar, Thyrfing, Ajattara, Secrets of the Moon, etc.

By the way, anyone whose yet to check out Fen, needs to.

Zod

I'll definitely check out Fen, I keep hearing about them.

Well we've played with Daylight Dies, Thyrfing, and Ajattara from that list you mentioned, Zod. I guess we're doing alright so far haha If only we could just get all of these aforementioned bands together at once. I wonder how a band like Ajattara would do here though, I barely know anyone Stateside who've even heard of them, sadly!

I'd shit my pants if Ajattara came here (and I could help make that happen). I would be there, in the front row. I'm such a HUGE fan of that band. One of my favorites in the past 4 years. I know some of my band mates don't share my enthusiasm of them (I'm sure he'll chime in ahemBOBBYLUPOahem) but they fucking ROCK.

I can 100% see and agree with BOTH side of the fest argument. From a promoter stand point, this is a smart way to go for a larger crowd. From a fan standpoint and regular supporter of the fest, it does fall short of the "WOW" factor. It would be VERY hard for me to travel to see bands I could catch in my area at any given time.

For me, Maryland Deathfest this year... FUCK. HAIL OF BULLETS, PESTILENCE, ASPHYX, BOLT THROWER... For me, THAT'S worth a plane ticket. 4 bands you have little to no chance to see tour here.

I know or a fact, talking with Rob for months, some of the headliners they tried for, and the reasons some couldn't do the show. A LOT of this comes down, not to the bands themselves, but the booking agents who want the world, and demand you take other shitty bands if they "give" you the headliner you want... It's a nightmare, and I wouldn't want to be the guys having to deal with that. Economic times, bands with other obligations, and booker nightmares, I think Rob and Chris did a good job with what they had to deal with.

That's true, I'm sure alot of you guys 'n gals here don't even know the half of what goes on behind the scenes with trying to book a fest, or tour, just a simple one off gig, because of some of the horror-shows involved in this biz. Sometimes the true answers to questions like, "Why don't you book this band?", "Why didn't you get this venue to host it?", "Why don't you get on a tour with this band?", etc., are too frustrating and long to really relate to you all most of the time. Let's just say alot of the people in the business whose job it is to squeeze as much $$$ as possible out of everything make this shit so much more difficult than it need be.

We had a blast playing Heathen Crusade that one year, and we haven't been asked back again.

That was a phenomenal performance, and quite frankly, the enthusiastic reception probably had much to do with the fact that the other bands on the roster followed a similar theme. All things considered, Novembers Doom being enveloped in a roster by the likes of Moonsorrow and Thyrfing playing their first ever US shows is extraordinary event planning.

I don't think any small concert (as opposed to a Wacken-like event) should encourage rotational fan attendance. Meaning, one set of fans wait at the bar and then rotate over with another set of fans leaving the hall. If all bands follow a similar enough theme, I'd assume you'd want to strive toward having ALL the fans wanting to see ALL the bands, no?

we can either look at this with a positive spin, as we've been doing, and try to make something good out of it. Or we can just cancel and not play. Which would be pretty lame, in my opinion.

Absolutely. :headbang:There is no doubt you should play this event. Again, hats off to Rob & co for putting the show on in the first place, I'm sure there is an entire story of how this show came together.

The one thing I just disagree with some people about is that they think there's no chance for diehard, cool new young fans to be won or found in a Devildriver or Soil crowd.

Perhaps, and of course that would be great but I fear you might have those fans not even turning up until their bands are ready to take the stage. Or they'll wait at the bar as I mentioned earlier. Of course, I hope this is not the case.

Furthermore, even at a show like that, for as many people as might be turned onto us, how many people would just turn their noses up at us because they're "Opeth snobs" and think every band like us is just some wannabe?

Sure, it's possible but less likely. History would suggest that some of the greatest metal concerts of all time comprised rosters with bands all complimenting each other.

And the people who support us but can't justify coming out to see us at this particular fest, we still appreciate your support and hope to see you at the next show :)

Of course. :kickass:Hey, I drove from New York to Cambridge one night (with wife and kids in tow after hearing that L'Amours shut down and you had to skip the NYC show) to see you guys play with Agalloch and The Gathering in the basement of the Middle East bar. But honestly? Speaking as a long time fan, had you been playing that night with DevilDriver and Soil, I would have stayed at home. :erk:

Anyone out there care to take up the mantle of making that happen?

Is there some sort of fucking handbook in knowing how to put on a show? Seriously, half the reason why I haven't attempted to organize a show is because I simply don't know anything about event planning. Believe me when I say that we have had many discussions about trying something like this in the NY/NJ area -- we had this discussion with Paul back at the hotel after Heathen Crusade 1.

We recently had conversations with the Gwynbleidd guys (based out of Brooklyn) about hosting some event, and planning it with their release party of their new album. Haughm from Agalloch noticed our forum discussion and said he'd be interested in playing since they're keen to come play for their NY contingent. Likewise, I've spoken with Alan from Primordial about making this show. I will happily extend the invite to David Gold to bring his genius to this event.

Trust me when I say that we've talked at length about starting a "festival" in the NY region with the first event looking like:

Agalloch
Primordial
Novembers Doom
Woods of Ypres
Gwynbleidd

If the bands can help us out with pointing us in the right direction then that would help too. By day, we are company lab rats stuck in white collar jobs, we don't know shit about putting on a show, but our enthusiasm and hearts are in the right place.

Just as an example, imagine if you ended up in a US fest with a line up like this:

Opeth
My Dying Bride
Agalloch
Novembers Doom
Gwynbleidd
Fen

Opeth would be expensive but would draw well of course. I have it from a reliable source that MDB will not step their feet on the US soil. Agalloch is overall very picky and demanding (too bad they can't play well live to match the spirit) I'm sure ND are reasonable chaps. Gwynbleidd is easy ;) Fen I have not heard.

While I wasn't the one who said that to you (or maybe I was), I can't understand that either.

Yeah, it was you. :loco:

Darkestrah

I will campaign my hardest and try to source fan sponsorship for Darkestrah to play Heathen Crusade 4. The world needs more metal from Kyrgyzstan. :kickass: (even if they do live in Germany now) :loco:

By the way, anyone whose yet to check out Fen, needs to.

Hell yes, all except that one diabolical shoe-gazing song. :ill:

I'd shit my pants if Ajattara came here (and I could help make that happen). I would be there, in the front row. I'm such a HUGE fan of that band. One of my favorites in the past 4 years. I know some of my band mates don't share my enthusiasm of them (I'm sure he'll chime in ahemBOBBYLUPOahem) but they fucking ROCK.

Yeah I'm not a fan, but that's because that style isn't my thing. I don't think they suck as a band, just not my thing. I think it would be really cool if they did play a bigger show or a string of shows so people can check them out. I think they do a very good job at what they do for sure.

I'm sure you feel the same way about Rhapsody :)

Is there some sort of fucking handbook in knowing how to put on a show?

Exactly!!!!! We've been doing this thing for almost 10 years now & we're still learning!!! Also, the difference is that we're trying to grow...not stay stagnant. And to do that...you need to take risks along the way & sometimes make unpopular decisions.

Unless you're prepared to do all that & be persistent while you're losing your ASS financially the first few years AT LEAST, then put the thought out of your mind right now!!!! :lol: Think of your family, man!!! :lol:

Seriously though...even ask John from the Heathen Crusade...he'll tell you too!

And BTW...anyone who is even REMOTELY into the HC fest or the types of bands he brings in, MUST go every year!!!! Now more than ever!!! Because, without your support (CONSIDERABLE SUPPORT!!!), every one can potentially be the LAST!!!!