Devin Townsend Project Live Mixing

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

There's a nice (I hope) little surprise for Devin's fans on the player of my studio page : www.towerstudio.net

As some of you might know, I engineered the BTBAM tour for DTP and CYNIC's set. If you don't know, you can check this thread here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/614058-so-yeah-im-back.html

And as some might know too, we recorded the performances of those bands during the Baltimore show (not for official releases though). I have already posted the BTBAM and CYNIC mixes here earlier, but here's Devin's one for you guys, hope you enjoy. Comments are, of course, welcome, but bear in my that we could only record 16 tracks that night. This is my second, and probably last since I'm switching to Pro Tools, mix with Reaper.

Brett

PS: Sorry if this looks like gross advertisement here, but I don't really want to post a direct link to the audio file hence the link to my studio player.

Sounds great! Care to give us a run down of what the 16 tracks were? Did you have to sub mix synths/toms before hand?

what... Web of Trust rates your website as spam website

What is that? Is there any way I can have them change this? Or should I even care at all? ;)

Sounds great! Care to give us a run down of what the 16 tracks were? Did you have to sub mix synths/toms before hand?

Thanks. Sure the tracks were:

1. Kick (Audix D6)
2. Snare Top
3. Tom1
4. Tom 2
5. Tom 3
6. Tom 4
7. Overhead L
8. Overhead R
9. Bass (out of a sansamp)
10. Devin's Dry Guitar
11. Devin's FX Guitar L
12. Devin's FX Guitar R (all Devin's Guitar were direct out from an Axe FX)
13. David's Guitar (Mesa though SM57)
14. Vocals
15. Samples L
16. Samples R (those were premixed to a stereo stem by Devin prior to the tour).

Hum Brett, quelle chance tu as eu de pouvoir travailler avec devin.

Et cette chanson... C'est juste une tuerie, et avec un tel mixage c'est fou.

Mind blown, as well !

What is that? Is there any way I can have them change this? Or should I even care at all? ;)

Thanks. Sure the tracks were:

1. Kick (Audix D6)
2. Snare Top
3. Tom1
4. Tom 2
5. Tom 3
6. Tom 4
7. Overhead L
8. Overhead R
9. Bass (out of a sansamp)
10. Devin's Dry Guitar
11. Devin's FX Guitar L
12. Devin's FX Guitar R (all Devin's Guitar were direct out from an Axe FX)
13. David's Guitar (Mesa though SM57)
14. Vocals
15. Samples L
16. Samples R (those were premixed to a stereo stem by Devin prior to the tour).

Cool, the overheads are great, they're really clear. What mics did you use and what position?

Didn't realize those ghost notes were so loud :) I was kinda happy they were noticeable though, maybe I have overdone it, lol

About the overheads, I couldn't tell you the mic used nor the exact position because, when you have to run live sound AND do a recording, you're kinda VERY busy and in a RUSH when you have a 15 minutes changeover between bands :D
I have used a lot of automation on them though, and even used some tom microphones spills here and there, for the Ride cymbal for instance and the China too.

The entire band is so fucking tight live, and he nails almost every note... absolutely insane. I love that they play Kingdom live, too, as that's one of my favorite songs in the world that gets overlooked because it's on Physicist.