Devin Townsend Project Live Mixing

Haha you should come at our rehearsal or shows. The only sound on stage is basically my voice, the rest is dead silent (well not really, you hear strings and fingers on keyboard, plus the noise of beater and sticks on drum pads.

Hi Brett, you got me curious about this... Mind sharing more details ? How do you do it ? Using AxeFx/PODs/Software ampsims or impulses or real preamps/amps into the Torpedo or something, and then the mix return into in-ears or regular monitors at a decent (means not too loud) volume ? (i'm talking about the guitars/bass here only obviously, not the drums nor vocals)

And you're talking about Kalisia right ? Have you ever heard Thibaut's EBS head through the Torpedo ? If so, how does it sound ?

Now back to the OP, i'm listening to the DTP and Freak Kitchen live mixes right now and i gotta say they both sound pretty amazing. Sounds very pro/clean/powerful yet very live.
I remember not liking your old productions much (i'm talking about like 4-year-old stuff here), but those live mixes are the shit indeed !
EDIT : listening to the KHYNN and BTBAM mixes with the player right now, sounds awesome too

Merci ;)
For live stuff we run our heads (Peavey 6505 and Mesa Dual Rectifier) into the Torpedos. We use an electronic drum kit so pretty silent. And we have tried using Thibaut's EBS head but for our kind of music (we're not Eyeless), the sound was much better just DI'd (didn't try it through the Torpedo though). All our tracks go into a Crest monitor mixer and from that go into our in-ears (each member has his own adjustable mix) and each channel go to the front of house guy. That's pretty much it, hope I'm clear.

PS: Freak Kitchen mix is over 4 years old but I'm glad you like my work now ;)

Just came back to this and.. holy fuck I really really really like this. Is it available anywhere to buy or download?

Also, how much sample augmentation is going on? The kick is clearly replaced, but the snare sounds fairly natural.

Merci ;)
For live stuff we run our heads (Peavey 6505 and Mesa Dual Rectifier) into the Torpedos. We use an electronic drum kit so pretty silent. And we have tried using Thibaut's EBS head but for our kind of music (we're not Eyeless), the sound was much better just DI'd (didn't try it through the Torpedo though). All our tracks go into a Crest monitor mixer and from that go into our in-ears (each member has his own adjustable mix) and each channel go to the front of house guy. That's pretty much it, hope I'm clear.

Perfectly clear Brett, thanks for the info !
I'm so used to hear my Engl into the torpedo, i'd love to hear a 6505 or Rectifier into it someday.

PS: Freak Kitchen mix is over 4 years old but I'm glad you like my work now ;)

Busted haha :) The older stuff i was referring to was mostly the studio projects, mainly indus modern metal with female vocals kind of stuff (i remember you did several bands like that).

Sorry no it's not for sale at all (unless Devin decides otherwise at some point).
Yeah the kick is something like 50% replaced and I would say the snare about 25% maybe, just for snap. The key to a great drum sounds is a good drummer, who can beat the shit out of the drums' skins :)