Diet and Nutrition.

Oh, I'm a huge nerd when it comes to nutrition. For the longest time I lifted weights with minimal results and just at like a normal person. I didn't really start getting any good gains until I learned all about nutrition. Nutrition is easily the most important aspect of bodybuilding.

Does anyone else do this (only people who are hardcore into working out would do this)?

On days I work out, I eat the majority of my carbs around my workout. When I work out after work in the evening, I will have a protein/fat breakfast, a low carb protein bar between breakfast and lunch, a moderate carb lunch (to provide some fuel for the workout), a protein bar around 3:30/4:00, workout around 5:00, and then a fuckton of carbs after the workout. I'll have a postworkout shake with 150+g carbs and 100+g protein. Then a 150+g carb/100+g protein meal about an hour later.

This is a variation of the animalbolic diet, in which you eat carbs only after your workout, but you have a shitload of them. I found this diet has allowed me to greatly increase strength and muscle while staying lean. I've been bulking on it for over a year. I'm between 6'1 and 6'2, 195 pounds and <10% bodyfat. Bench 405 lbs for 2, and do pullups with 3 45 lb. plates on the weight belt. Admittedly, I don't do dealifts because of lack of flexibility, and I don't max out in squats. My legs are lagging bigtime, and I reckon that if they were up to par with the rest of my body, I'd easily weigh over 200 lbs.

I think you're consuming too much protein.

If you consume large amounts of protein, your body becomes less efficient at processing it and uses much of it for energy (look up damination and oxidation). If you consume small amounts of protein, your body becomes extremely efficient at using that protein and burns less for energy, so it's a tradeoff. studies show that either keeping calories the same and increasing the percentage of calories from protein, or increasing calories overall even if the increase comes from carbs, both can contribute to gaining muscle mass and improving protein turnover.

200 grams after a workout does seem like an excessive amount of protein, but since I don't know exactly what you're eating for the rest of the day, it might only come out to be like 1.5 g per pound of body weight, which I'm sure you know is pretty common for hardcore trainers. The part about of eating most of your carbs around workout time is something I'd consider doing if not for one of my jobs being kinda physically demanding, and I'd probably faint without a steady stream of carbs throughout the day.

A little late, but;

165 pounds, 5'11". I'm a vegetarian, but not preachy. Also not extremely healthy, considering my heroic alcohol intake. I'm pretty slim, but no six pack on the horizon, since I exercise quite sporadically.

I think you're consuming too much protein.

If you consume large amounts of protein, your body becomes less efficient at processing it and uses much of it for energy (look up damination and oxidation). If you consume small amounts of protein, your body becomes extremely efficient at using that protein and burns less for energy, so it's a tradeoff. studies show that either keeping calories the same and increasing the percentage of calories from protein, or increasing calories overall even if the increase comes from carbs, both can contribute to gaining muscle mass and improving protein turnover.
That makes sense. I used to post on bodybuilding message boards and developed my nutrition regimen based on what I learned there, and everyone always emphasized 1.5-2g protein per lb bodyweight a day. I know that obviously not all of the protein is used to build muscle. But I didn't really notice any negative effects. I worked up to being able to bench more than twice my bodyweight on this diet. One thing I think I will do, is cut down the amount of protein in the postworkout shake. Maybe even cut it in half. Aside from my postworkout window, I only get 30-50g protein in each meal.

Does anyone else do this (only people who are hardcore into working out would do this)?

On days I work out, I eat the majority of my carbs around my workout. When I work out after work in the evening, I will have a protein/fat breakfast, a low carb protein bar between breakfast and lunch, a moderate carb lunch (to provide some fuel for the workout), a protein bar around 3:30/4:00, workout around 5:00, and then a fuckton of carbs after the workout. I'll have a postworkout shake with 150+g carbs and 100+g protein. Then a 150+g carb/100+g protein meal about an hour later.
I have started a very similar gaining routine on my workout days(which i lift at 11AM) and i'm still not gaining weight/mass. It's getting discouraging at this point because i'm 178lbs and i'm trying to get up to 185lbs.
-I eat 4 hard boiled egg whites in the morning with oatmeal
-For lunch its usually a ham sandwich, and a gainer shake that has 100g carbs and 80g protein and whatever else.
-My snack at 4PM is usually peanuts or peanut butter on a ricecake
-Dinner is always a high carb high protein meal
-Another gainer shake before bed

this isn't completely consistent every day, it's mainly on workout days. Any recommendations on how to get my weight up correctly and without it going to my stomach?

I have started a very similar gaining routine on my workout days(which i lift at 11AM) and i'm still not gaining weight/mass. It's getting discouraging at this point because i'm 178lbs and i'm trying to get up to 185lbs.
-I eat 4 hard boiled egg whites in the morning with oatmeal
-For lunch its usually a ham sandwich, and a gainer shake that has 100g carbs and 80g protein and whatever else.
-My snack at 4PM is usually peanuts or peanut butter on a ricecake
-Dinner is always a high carb high protein meal
-Another gainer shake before bed

this isn't completely consistent every day, it's mainly on workout days. Any recommendations on how to get my weight up correctly and without it going to my stomach?
Maybe try concentrating your carbs around your workout even more. It sounds like you have carbs in every meal. Maybe try eating a protein/fat meal for your last one or two meals of the day, and increase carbs in the postworkout window even more (high carb postworkout shake with a high carb solid food meal about an hour later). Of course, have at least 30g protein in every meal/snack. And if you want to gain as little fat as possible while gaining muscle, definitely make sure that you never have meals that are high in both carbs and fat. That really puts on fat fast. It's ok to have high fat meals (I have one or two a day), but high fat meals need to be very very low in carbs (<20g).

Thanks for the tips and i'll definitely be watching out for the high carb/fat meals. I'm 5'9 and i've been lifting for almost 9 years now.
I figured my metabolism would be slowing down by now but thats obviously not the case.

this isn't completely consistent every day, it's mainly on workout days. Any recommendations on how to get my weight up correctly and without it going to my stomach?[/QUOTE]

How many calories are you eating a day?

are you running?

how many times a week do you lift weights?

and finally are you doing high reps low weight or max weight low reps?

2000 calories approximately

i don't run in the wintertime, rather run outdoors (mainly because i don't like tredmills)

I lift 4 times a week

i start out with medium weight and end up maxing out on low reps

I would simply up your calorie intake to 2800-3000.

Since you're around 180 your body naturally needs 2350 calories a day.

On top of that you're probably burning 250-500 calories on weight lifting days so you're just maintaining your weight and/or not getting enough calories.

think of it like this:

Your weigh x 13 = what you need to maintain your current weight

add 500 calories a day to that and you WILL gain.

another protein shake here,another nutritious meal there.

anyone on the Mediterrean Diet? I highly recommend it if your looking to lose weight or be healthy in general. I'm on it for the healthwise aspect and because i need to cut my fat intake. I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver about 6 months ago which is reversible with low fat diet. If I don't lower my intake of fat (btw im skinny exterior) the fatty liver can or will turn eventually to Cirrhosis. So i have to reverse it. But just wanted to recommend the Med Diet because it's the best for losing weight or staying healthy....

Btw my Fatty liver is due to fatty foods over the years and/or my heroic alcohol intake since the age of 11. I cut down on alcohol dramatically and mainly only drink when i go to dinner with friends at a restaurant.

Book I highly recommend if you want to learn about the Med Diet:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Diet-Marissa-Cloutier/dp/0060578785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232435535&sr=1-1[/ame]

The Mediterrean Diet by Marissa Cloutier and Eve Adamson

no sugar, sweets, bread. 1 h of running/day, no alcohol, a lot of green tea.
oh..I'm sorry, is this a guy-only debate?

You don't live like that. :rolleyes: Not every day.
I just eat what I fancy and luckily it's the good stuff and the right amounts, no worries. Take supplements, kelp, Vitamin B's (Brewers yeast = good source) and Zinc. Dance and workout all the time, it's addictive!
My BMI is 18.5 just now. I also have flaxeed everyday with breakfast, it's really expensive... X)
I don't smoke or drink either, not for ages.

BUMP

Weight: 239.4 lbs
Height: 6'0

So I'm really out of shape after I graduated high school and being out of sports. Looking for any helpful tips or suggestions regarding diet, work-out plans, etc. Thanks in advance.

Walk for one hour every day and eat 500 calories less a day than you do now, it'll fall right off you at that rate - probably 3 lbs a week or so. Walking is the great forgotten exercise, you don't need to be sweating or out of breath to be burning calories. I weigh about 100 lbs less than you and for me walking briskly for one hour burns 350 calories per hour, so it'd be more for you. That's like 1 1/2 candy bars right there.

Or move to Asia, seems men who move here lose weight without trying.