Dimebag R.I.P. :-(

Yes, its a horrible event, and no one deserves to go out like that... but come on guys he wasnt exactly a saint. The teary-eyed eulogies for a drunkard and misogynist make me sick. How many vastly more important and ethical people die every day, yet because you own some record this guy plays on youll go get your pillow wet. Dimebag was southern trash- period.

If you'll notice, douchebag, that no one is exalting his personality, only his music and his legacy, then you may want to change your last paragraph to read "I'm an idiot."

12/8/04. This is truly a very very sad day in Metal history.

I’m kinda still in shock.

Dime was one of my guitar hero's growing up. I've been out of them for a while, but they will always be one of the greats to me. Dime's playing was intense. He kept heavy music alive back when hair bands were taking over. I have the Vulgar Video and when he plays Domination live in Moscow, and uses that palm muting to get that “screaming sound”... he pulled it off even better than the studio version.

I was a fan of Vulgar & Cowboys when they were new. I would sit for hours learning every guitar riff off of both those albums. Even learned the beginning of Cowboys, although I never got it quite as smooth.

This is truly a very sad day in Metal history.

Some of my favorite Pantera songs:
By Demons Be Driven
This Love
New Level
Walk
Shedding Skid
Planet Caravan (Sabbath Cover)
Message in Blood
The Art of Shredding
It Makes the Disappear

Quote from Dave Mustaine (Lead Singer/Guitarist of Megadeth)
"There is nothing unique or clever to this post, and what I want to say has no doubt already been said throughout the metal community, by countless others whom were more closer to Darrell than me by now. However, knowing he was murdered tonight, I wish to thank and remember Darrell for his amazing life and the gift that he shared with me and so many other fortunates."

"I pray for Darrell's family and friends; specifically for their healing, their peace, and their understanding of this tragedy in this time of need. I send my deepest heartfelt condolences to the Abbott family, to Darrell's friends, and to the fantastic PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN fans around the world. We must never forget his life, and his gifts, his genius, his terrific personallity, and the legacy he left behind to remember him by. Darrell, I will see you in heaven and I, like so many more, love you brother."

"You will be missed."

I dont see how insulting me adds any merit to your position. And you are wrong. You cannot conveniently compartmentalize ones actions/worldview, and the result of those views. "Vulgar Display of Power"? Yes, a lovely, noble citizen he was.
All i ask is that people show some restraint, and maintain some perspective on just how important a musician is. Sad? Absolutely; the circumstances are very tragic. However, just because one dies (we all do) does not mean they are automatically entitled to reverence. He will quickly become the Cobain of metal, mark my words.

Justin S. said:
Yes, its a horrible event, and no one deserves to go out like that... but come on guys he wasnt exactly a saint. The teary-eyed eulogies for a drunkard and misogynist make me sick. How many vastly more important and ethical people die every day, yet because you own some record this guy plays on youll go get your pillow wet. Dimebag was southern trash- period.
You sir are an idiot. This is about metal, not striving for world peace.

PanzerRon said:
That's a pointless and pathetic comment. True, he was no saint but he sure as hell inspired tons of people. Dimebag was an excellent guitarist and showman and he loved his fans, and they hold him dear to their hearts. Him being a "drunkard" or "misorgynist" has no relevance.

Now go and bore some other peeps.

Yes, it is totally pointless how a person conducts their life... :rolleyes:

Using your logic: Adolf Hitler was an excellent orator and speachwriter who inspired many of his fellow countrymen who held him dear to their hearts. Him being the catalyst for a world war and genocide has no relevance. :err:

The man owned, or at least had a stake in running an operation where women dance on a stage and shake their apendages for money. Most people find these sorts of degenerates a waste of resources.

Again i reiterate- Death is universal and is not some ticket to glorification.

Justin S. said:
I dont see how insulting me adds any merit to your position. And you are wrong. You cannot conveniently compartmentalize ones actions/worldview, and the result of those views. "Vulgar Display of Power"? Yes, a lovely, noble citizen he was.
All i ask is that people show some restraint, and maintain some perspective on just how important a musician is. Sad? Absolutely; the circumstances are very tragic. However, just because one dies (we all do) does not mean they are automatically entitled to reverence. He will quickly become the Cobain of metal, mark my words.

Don't try to be so damn smart and show some fucking respect asshole. When a family member of yours dies nobody will be saying: 'hey, people die every day, even more important people than your ....". He was a great guy and a great guitar player and nobody deserves to die like this.

RIP Dimebag!

I do like Pantera a lot and Dime's guitar playing, but I do understand what Justin is saying. Just about everyone who posted I'm sure didn't know the man personally and may not have gotten along with him outside of a metal concert. He's basically saying that he should not attain a god-like status just because he died. The reverse side of that is that Justin didn't know the man either and calling him southern-trash was rather unnecessary as well.

I wish we could delete some of these posts. Mikael himself posted his respects here. People die everyday, but Dime contributed a great deal in his short life, and to be murdered while playing is very sad.

Hitler should never even have been mentioned in this thread.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Hello guys!

Yes, this is horrible! Today's a bleak day to say the least!
I was a big fan of his playing as well as of Pantera. I remember when I saw them for the first time, in 1990 supporting Judas Priest. Nobody knew who they were but I think everyone, including myself, was completely floored by them. I bought "Cowboys" the day after. I saw him and Vinne at the Metal Hammer awards earlier this year but I didn't dare to go up an' talk to them. Now I wish I had!

Take care guys
Mike
Good to hear a statement from Mike on this. I have been in tears all day and I don't think my sorrow is going to stop anytime soon. I absolutely loved Dime as a person and a guitar player. He's been one of my favorite guitar players for many years and I am still shocked that he is gone.

I was able to see Pantera 11 times and was fortunate enough to meet Dime in 1997. He was one of the coolest guys I've ever met and everyone I know who has met him says the exact same thing.

My friends (who understand the situation and are as broken up as I am) are going to go out tonight and have a few Black Tooths® in Dimes honor. I didn't want to go at first, but I think I need to remember all of the great memories I have of him instead of focusing on my sorrow.

I know that Dime is up there with Randy, Chuck, and the rest of the great ones that were taken away from us so soon.

I loved ya bro :(

R.I.P. Dime 1966-2004.

yea i saw this as i got out of the shower a couple hours ago.. i thought i would make a thread if nobody else did, but i figured you guys would be quick on it. May he rest in peace.. i never really listened to him or his music but i know many friends that liked him.

There is one thing that bothered me though.. as i was listening to the CNN lady talking to tommy lee and his other guy, she said something along the lines of "this is the kind of atmosphere that develops when the band talks about death and killing and such in their lyrics" it wasnt that harsh, but very close and she used those words. did they really write lyrics like that? cause if they didnt, WHY did she say that? is this just the typical stereotype or what? Anyways, that really pissed me off, especially the guy that did this... lots of crazy people out there.

AbsentFriend said:
Don't try to be so damn smart and show some fucking respect asshole. When a family member of yours dies nobody will be saying: 'hey, people die every day, even more important people than your ....". He was a great guy and a great guitar player and nobody deserves to die like this.

RIP Dimebag!

Alright, last post from me on this. Either you all can get a fucking grip, and actually critically think about what im saying, or continue to dismiss me with completly irrational statements and insults.

The central question is what/whom deserves respect? WHY should I "respect" Darrel Abbot. All youve given me so far is "because i like him" or ""because he died". These, and all other "i said so = truth" statements are totally flawed. Under those conditions every human being qualifies for respect; including the shooter. This is a totally absurd thought process.

Respect derives from the actions and thoughts of an individual. From what ive read and seen of Dimebag, there is simply nothing worthy of "respect". The fact that someone can play an instrument may deserve "credit" but respect is an entirely different concept.

About my family members dying: I actually have experienced quite my fair share of death in my life (including my father and younger brother, as well as the common elderly). The key is i dont inflate their service to the world or their accomplishments. Millions of pathetic outcasts weeping over their anti-hero is, in reality, more about their need for emotional masturbation; it has very little to do with the actual event oriented in a realistic context.

The statement that no one "deserves" to die is also profoundly strange. Just how does one "deserve" suffocating on their own fluids in a hospice at the age of 80, or in a war, or any other way you can think. Life is fucking harsh and exists outside of what you think you are entitled too. Get over yourself and your Hallmark emotional range.

About me "trying to be so damn smart, being an asshole": I will not apologize for utilizing language for its sole purpose; communication. You will notice that i dont "fluff" my writing. I do not fancy myself a "writer". Im simply trying to be clear and explain my thought process in a medium where text is the only way i can communicate to my peers.

Continue Cobain Part II!!!!!

^ Thanks for sharing. I think you don't hold the same grieving processes that most of the world holds, probably because of your close family members that have passed.

Dimebag deserves Respect because he was a huge influence on many musicians, and he was murdered. It's just that simple.

I don't think this thread was formed to debate the different ways people cope with death, or credit vs. respect, or people's beliefs about the afterlife. Most of us are upset and shocked and would like to turn to our METAL community for support.

Thanks Justin
and also sorry to hear about your family.

Wow. I'm was just shocked when I heard the news. R.I.P. Dime.