Disappointment

Valdemius

Aug 6, 2002
Espoo, Finland
After quite a wait I finally get my hands on 'The Odyssey'. In anticipation I wait for more stuff to the likes of 'the accolade II'. And after about 72 minutes I feel like I've been listening to Pantera. Sure, 'The Odyssey' is an excellent song, 'Inferno' Isn't bad either, but otherwise the album is just a tad too heavy. One of the things I've always liked about symphony x was Russell's vocals, but they just aren't as good as on the previous albums. I'm not saying this album is bad, definitely not, but also i don't think it comes anywhere near 'V' or 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy'...

Well I think this comes down to your personal tastes and opinion, the level of musicianship is on the same level, if not higher than on previous albums. Lots of people who enjoy heavier music (like myself) loved the new approach that SX took to "The Oddysey". I think that Sir Russel sounds amazing on this album, and MJR proves he is one of the best lead guitarists in the business.

I really must criticize a lot of the people who post on this forum.... I noticed in another thread that people say they hate Pantera, but when I listen to songs off of the Odyssey, I hear blatant Pantera influences, ESPECIALLY on the Wicked. Wicked's main riff is basically what a Pantera song would be if it was in 13/4. Personally, I love Pantera, but I also feel that this song is the weakest on the album, because of the huge departure it takes from their previous style.

To each their own :D I love the album and I wasn't dissapointed in any way and to me Russell sounded better on this album than on their previous ones (though I admit that King Of Terrors harsh vocals were a little over done)

Well, now I have indeed been listening to 'The Odyssey' for two days straight, and some new, great parts have revealed themselves, but I still think this album isn't quite as great as the previous ones. Perhaps I was anticipating more Star-One-like vocals from Russ.

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
I really must criticize a lot of the people who post on this forum.... I noticed in another thread that people say they hate Pantera, but when I listen to songs off of the Odyssey, I hear blatant Pantera influences, ESPECIALLY on the Wicked. Wicked's main riff is basically what a Pantera song would be if it was in 13/4. Personally, I love Pantera, but I also feel that this song is the weakest on the album, because of the huge departure it takes from their previous style.

Wicked is my favorite song on The Odyssey so far. I really don't care about the Pantera influence. I think it's a great song. I've always read about Symphony X not being able to take a departure from their style. This song proved they can.

And the album as a whole, I'm blown away by Russell. IMO, he does it all on this album.

All right.

IMO, "Accolade II", "The Odyseey", "Awakenings" and "Inferno" are fucking great! "Wicked" is nice. "King of terrors" is ok.
"Incantations..." and "The turning" suck. I don`t like the more agressive style either.

Well, being the first and only Symphony X I've heard, I can say that "The Odyssey" was nothing but amazing. This is an agreement made between my circle of friends as well. If this isn't considered the best of Symphony X then I tremble in excitement as to what is....

Originally posted by Valdemius
Well, now I have indeed been listening to 'The Odyssey' for two days straight, and some new, great parts have revealed themselves, but I still think this album isn't quite as great as the previous ones. Perhaps I was anticipating more Star-One-like vocals from Russ.

"Odyssey" took a little time to grow on me. At first I was pretty disappointed... but now I love it. And I'm glad Russell doesn't sound like he does on "Star One"... I think that's Russell's weakest vocal performance.

Originally posted by Valdemius
After quite a wait I finally get my hands on 'The Odyssey'. In anticipation I wait for more stuff to the likes of 'the accolade II'. And after about 72 minutes I feel like I've been listening to Pantera. Sure, 'The Odyssey' is an excellent song, 'Inferno' Isn't bad either, but otherwise the album is just a tad too heavy. One of the things I've always liked about symphony x was Russell's vocals, but they just aren't as good as on the previous albums. I'm not saying this album is bad, definitely not, but also i don't think it comes anywhere near 'V' or 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy'...

I agree that it pales in comparison to the masterpiece that was "V".... However I cant say I was disappointed. But, very rarely does a band come out with 2 classic recordings in a row... My approach is to listen and appreciate it for what it is and try not to compare it to their previous one.

Originally posted by Draxx
Well, being the first and only Symphony X I've heard, I can say that "The Odyssey" was nothing but amazing. This is an agreement made between my circle of friends as well. If this isn't considered the best of Symphony X then I tremble in excitement as to what is....

Hey Draxx,

Go pick up "V: The New Mythology Suite". It was the one that came out before "The Odyssey"..... IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!!!