Discovering Night is the New Day

Vincent J.

Dec 3, 2005
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Hey guys and girls,
I wanted to create a fun little thread where we can talk about our listening experiences of Katatonia's new album. I think it would be great to discuss specific parts of the songs, so we can call our attention to the little brilliant details that this album is filled with. Did you discover a little guitar melodie in the background that made the listening experience a lot better? Do you hear lyrical references or other cools things? You can list them here, so we can enjoy this cd and see if we can enhance each others listening experience.

I'll start:

Onward Into Battle: Anyone noticed something different in the last chorus?
Check it out from 3:03 on until the end. They added a synth-like guitarmelodie in the background that I only discovered today or yesterday. Makes it a lot better.

Also... The drumfill beginning at 1:00 is just pure class.

Idle Blood: After the drums and everything kick in there's this "orchestral" sound that flows with the music. I love how it swells at 0:44 for example. It creates this great tension that leads to the magnificant release of the chorus

Nephilim: During the drumfill before the chorus. I love the slide in the bassguitar that Mattias plays at 3:17

New Night: As someone already noticed, the piano thing that was on the site comes from this song.

Inheritance: Besides the "obvious" classical beauty here I think Jonas' voice sounds amazing here. On the entire album his vocals sound better than ever, but especially in the chorus of this song (where he sings pretty low notes) his voice almost sounds like fire

Day and then the Shade: How the dark background noise rises, foreseeing the heartbreaking chorus, and how the guitar arpeggio's take a dramatic turn just before the heartbeak occurs. Also it's really too strong for words when then the verse starts again. It's very "consoling".

Departer: Ummmm, how about everything? The intro ambience is lovely. When Jonas starts singing it's breathtaking. When the drums kick in and the "theme" starts it's so very emotional, relaxing and comforting... the guest vocals are very, very good. It sounds like Krister sings with all his heart. Very stylish too.
The drumfill at 3:12 is one of my favorites on this album by Daniel.

Some obvious parts:
In the Promise of Deceit I LOVE the part from 0:48 on.
The Day and then the Shade verse.
Departer in its fullness. I was first disappointed that it didn't have much change, but now I see it's a million times better like this.

Forsaker at about 1:38 right after the really cool drum fill. There is a little crucendoing w-a-a-a-a-a in the background which is so perfect I don't even know how to describe it. It is the perfect 1 second prelude to the "Hand..... of a Leader..."

I'd say the coolest bit is at 3:44/45-ish...just THAT little thing there makes all the difference in the world to me. By the way, the whole section here is probably going to be the best moment of the album for me unless there's actually something on there that can top it.

In any case, I want my Swedish version copy NOW! :D

The melody of the lead guitar in Day and then the Shade that begins right when Jonas starts: "I will rise... to dreams of freedom, etc etc.

In the Longest Year, exactly at 1:41 the electronic loop giving the fenomenal entrance for the chorus.

I just can't get why Katatonia writes these beautiful songs and leave them as B sides. This time is Ashen, it has one of the greatest catchy chorus of the all album... and its a freaking bonus on the sweden version only? Why they do this?
They have done it before with unfurl, sulfur, dissolving bonds. Do they know that these songs could take the place of inferior songs in the albuns? Do they know this? Or does the artist can't tell when one of his creations is better than the other?

i disagree. although the "b-side songs" you listed are all magnificent in their own right, I don't see them fitting in on any of the albums they were recorded with

With fitting you mean "having quality enough for" or "adapt to the context of"?

If its the latter i disagree. At least with sulfur and ashen.
Sulfur would fit perfectly in LFDGD and Ashen would also fit ok in NITND.
Only my opinion, of course.

And i bet that if Idlle Blood or Departer were B sides you would say the exact same thing :p

Forsaker - I love how the riff at 3.05 is played like it's in the distance (the telephone effect that Steve Wilson and Akerfeldt use quite a bit) and then kicks in to it's full potential at 3.25. Awesome!
The Longest Day - 2.25 when the synthesiser changes tone coming down from the chorus and up in to the verse, sublime moment!
Idle Blood - Has that awesome closer moment from 3.20 (the telephone vocal technique) and the little mellotron moments as the song fades out...

Will post more later...

so far i LOVE the ba ba baba ba, from about 3:11-3:19 on forsaker, its so awesome.
On Onward into battle(favorite song so far) when Jonas says "I find this so hard", i dunno i just REALLY enjoy that line/tone etc.

the agressive style of clean vocals in the beggining of Ashen are only comparable to I Break and im absolutly obsessed.