Discussion about nu-metal

I used to like more nu-metal when I was younger, but I really grew out of the genre. I'll still listen to Spineshank and Mudvayne's first album on occassion, but that's really all I listen to of it anymore.

I never really thought of Incubus as a metal band either, just a rock band. I really like everything up to Morning View..I don't like much else after that.

Yo. This is my first post, ever, after reading for... forever, but felt like this was interesting enough to chime in on amidst the usual barrage of 'favorite album' threads.

The first remotely 'metal' album I ever listened to was Korn's Issues. I chain-played it for months. I was in 10th grade, I was angsty, and at the time that music spoke to me. When I listen to it these days, I can't enjoy it at all because I now realize that it's fucking terrible. But at the time, yeah, that shit was awesome. I've since become significantly more enlightened in the ways of metal, but Korn, Slipknot and other nu-metal bands were the gateway for me and without them I never would have been introduced to better music.

That being said, I still enjoy several nu-metal bands. I love Mushroomhead and still have soft spots for Slipknot and Disturbed, but what really tops my list is Mudvayne. They tend to churn out generic crap these days, but LD50 is a work of absolute brilliance and I'll defend that album to the death. The bass work is fucking unbelievable. It's easily my favorite album by any band or artist ever, and this is long after getting heavily into artists like Opeth and Devin Townsend.

<Insert obligatory 'opeth rules' comment here.>

i think that its trendy to hate nu-metal because its trendy. i think that its elitism to hate nu-metal because its not "real" or "tr00" metal. nu-metal is a genre on its own, much like "real" or "tr00" metal. i believe that the same is true for hating metal-core because its not "real" or "tr00" metal. that is so fucking stupid. granted, maybe metal-core and nu-metal have stemmed from "real" or "tr00" metal, but no more than "real" or "tr00" metal stemmed from the blues.

now, some may say that nu-metal is shit because those who play it aim for an easy way to be aired on the radio. i'm not pointing fingers, but who in the fuck are you to say that? is it possible that a nu-metal band's members like to play that style of music?

i still like a lot of korn stuff. the song falling away from me is pretty fucking sweet. and the deftones, yes....they rule. white pony is a brilliant album. uhhh...mudvayne, l.d. 50...whoever said that was a masterpiece...is right. it fucking owns. their basist is unreal, as is their drummer.

i have to go fill the bananas.

There are plenty of real reasons to hate nu-metal if you ask me. Sure, it's "trendy" to hate nu-metal if you're into more underground metal genres. But on the other hand nu-metal has a bunch of characteristics that makes it automatically inferior (to me anyway). For one thing a large amount of it is manufactured rather than created by people who care about music. That alone is something that makes me not take it seriously. And on top of that it's just not musically satisfying. Most nu-metal seems to be filled with the typical "jump-da-fuck-up" powerchord riffing, no guitar solos, sometimes even rap (which in itself isn't necessarily bad but should never be mixed with rock or metal). And then there's the fact that a lot of nu-metal is just downright whiney and is infact targetted and marketed towards angry teenagers, a trend which continued into the new fad, emocore. And I hate listening to whiney music (something American metal and rock bands seem to be exceptionally good at producing).

I started out listening to Korn and Limp Bizkit back in highschool like... 7 years ago. So I'm not saying that the genre has no right to exist or anything. It can serve as a stepping stone towards real metal. But after I broadened my horizons I don't really see the point in going back to bands like that. All in all, why bother listening to nu-metal when there are so many better and more rewarding bands out there? Seems like a waste of time to me.

biggsy said:
I don't hate all Nu-Metal. I think the complete dismissal of an entire genre of music is stupidity to the extreme.
Agreed, and Korn has been my favorite band since '98 until recently when Opeth replaced them. They are still my second favorite, even though I don't like the new album.

Oh, and another thing I dislike about nu-metal is that it tries to be "extreme" but not too extreme. Extreme enough to appeal to all the angry Slipknot-T-shirt-wearing teenagers, but at the same time accessible and politically correct enough to sell loads of records and appear on MTV. So it's kind of a watered down version of real extreme music. Which makes it not very challenging to listen to. When I'm in the mood for extreme music I want something that destroys my eardrums properly and not something that just prances around like a fairy wearing an angry mask.

CAIRATH said:
Oh, and another thing I dislike about nu-metal is that it tries to be "extreme" but not too extreme. Extreme enough to appeal to all the angry Slipknot-T-shirt-wearing teenagers, but at the same time accessible and politically correct enough to sell loads of records and appear on MTV. So it's kind of a watered down version of real extreme music. Which makes it not very challenging to listen to. When I'm in the mood for extreme music I want something that destroys my eardrums properly and not something that just prances around like a fairy wearing an angry mask.
You're generalizing. Not all nu-metal bands are like that, and I doubt most of them even think about this shit when they are writing.

Well name me one truly extreme nu-metal band then. All the nu-metal I've heard (which is a fair amount because I usually end up watching MTV while channel surfing when I'm bored) is just angry pop music if you ask me.

CAIRATH said:
Well name me one truly extreme nu-metal band then. All the nu-metal I've heard (which is a fair amount because I usually end up watching MTV while channel surfing when I'm bored) is just angry pop music if you ask me.
I think nu-metal can be just as extreme as death metal, but in a different way. Korn's first album is a good example.

I used to like nu-metal a lot, now I am not into it so hard - I simply grew out from it (like from almost entire metal).
KoRn is stil a band that I listen to sometimes.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
there are quite a few good electronica/ebm arists/groups...
More than few, dude.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Deftones are the only good band left in this style, and even then, their sound has evolved to be something quite different.
Deftones are indeed great, but they´re not nu-metal :)
However you have right point about LB and RATM, true.

JoeVice said:
i think that its trendy to hate nu-metal because its trendy. i think that its elitism to hate nu-metal because its not "real" or "tr00" metal. nu-metal is a genre on its own, much like "real" or "tr00" metal. i believe that the same is true for hating metal-core because its not "real" or "tr00" metal. that is so fucking stupid. granted, maybe metal-core and nu-metal have stemmed from "real" or "tr00" metal, but no more than "real" or "tr00" metal stemmed from the blues.

now, some may say that nu-metal is shit because those who play it aim for an easy way to be aired on the radio. i'm not pointing fingers, but who in the fuck are you to say that? is it possible that a nu-metal band's members like to play that style of music?

i still like a lot of korn stuff. the song falling away from me is pretty fucking sweet. and the deftones, yes....they rule. white pony is a brilliant album. uhhh...mudvayne, l.d. 50...whoever said that was a masterpiece...is right. it fucking owns. their basist is unreal, as is their drummer.

i have to go fill the bananas.
This was the best post that I read today, thank you.

CAIRATH said:
There are plenty of real reasons to hate nu-metal if you ask me. Sure, it's "trendy" to hate nu-metal if you're into more underground metal genres. But on the other hand nu-metal has a bunch of characteristics that makes it automatically inferior (to me anyway). For one thing a large amount of it is manufactured rather than created by people who care about music. That alone is something that makes me not take it seriously. And on top of that it's just not musically satisfying. Most nu-metal seems to be filled with the typical "jump-da-fuck-up" powerchord riffing, no guitar solos, sometimes even rap (which in itself isn't necessarily bad but should never be mixed with rock or metal). And then there's the fact that a lot of nu-metal is just downright whiney and is infact targetted and marketed towards angry teenagers, a trend which continued into the new fad, emocore. And I hate listening to whiney music (something American metal and rock bands seem to be exceptionally good at producing).
1.There is nothing like underground genres, just less popular.
2.Nu-metal is not suppoused to has a guitar solos, it´s not a fault of genre, just its characteristic.

Nu-metal is just energic hard rock music for young people who want to listen to something harder, that´s it.

Actually, I forgot Slipknot. Slipknot are a really good band. Not amazing, but really good. joey Jordison is just a SICK drummer. I would say Slipknot is the only band that is still nu-metal doing anything worth-while.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Actually, I forgot Slipknot. Slipknot are a really good band. Not amazing, but really good. joey Jordison is just a SICK drummer. I would say Slipknot is the only band that is still nu-metal doing anything worth-while.

*joey jordison is a SIC drummer.

are slipknot nu-metal? or do they just borderline it enought to be called nu-metal?

Fredy_Brown said:
1. There is nothing like underground genres, just less popular.

Underground means exactly that, doofus. Underground means not on the radar of the mainstream music scene. I don't see what other meaning you could possibly attach to it.

Fredy_Brown said:
2. Nu-metal is not suppoused to has a guitar solos, it´s not a fault of genre, just its characteristic.

How does the fact that nu-metal "is not supposed to have" guitar solos detract from the point I was making (which is that nu-metal sucks). Nu-metal is for the most part simplistic chugga-chug powerchord riffing with no real interesting or creative songwriting behind it and no interesting guitar leads to atleast bring some diversity to the table. Which is an inherent flaw of the genre and which is why I don't see the point in listening to it anymore now that I have discovered more musically interesting bands.

The following quote sums up nu metal in it's intireity.

When Iowa came out, it was basically the heaviest album that's ever charted that high. I was very proud of how heavy it was and how uncompromising [it was]. It wasn't watered down like a lot of metal is

Joey Jordison.