dissection - melodic death??

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
What genre would you put Dissection in, because I thought they were black metal, but I've recently read people calling them melodic death metal

:S

Did they start out like that, and get more black or something?

Dissection's demo "The Grief Prophecy" was more or less pure death metal. The later stuff often gets the "melodic death metal" tag because 1) they came from Gothenburg and knew bands like At the Gates and the rest of the Gothenburg scene, 2) often used the same kinds of heavy metal-derived melodic leads and riffs, and 3) Jon himself liked to call the music "metal of Death" which some people have equated with "death metal." I see the music as essentially black metal; black metal that came out of the Gothenburg scene with all its heavy metal influences.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I definitely think that they play melodic death metal. Their music is very melodic with lots of death metal riffage, and has very little in common with bands such as Darkthrone and Mayhem. The only black metal influence I hear in their sound is in the vocals and the occasional black metal riff.

I've always seen them as a cross between melodic death and black metal, kinda in the same realm as Dawn.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Necrophobic were always classed as Death Metal but Dissection get labeled 'melodic black', I never did get that.
IMO Necrophobic are a regular old school death metal band. They do not have those guitar harmonies and general Gothenburg-like sound that Dissection does. So I would say that Necrophobic are regular death metal and Dissection are melodic death (not melodic black).

I agree with you. Dissection are more melodic than Necrophobic, but they do have quite a few similarities. So Dissection should be melodic death, rather than black.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I personally love both bands, but perhaps Necrophobic a little more so.
I really like both bands too, but I think I like Dissection a little bit better. But I only have one CD from each band: Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane and Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence.

I've heard comparisons between them, especially Sacramentum's first album 'Far Away From The Sun.' I only have 'The Coming of Chaos' which I like a lot.