Do you all buy Opeth cd's?

Everyone: thanks for the thoughtful responses. I would've liked to joined in yesterday but for some reason, I could't get back on the site. I'm really surprised my post above even made it. I thought it had just disappeared. So, a day later, I don't quite have the same energy towards this topic.
A couple notes though, if we want to keep it going:

Demoke - my comments on the high prices in Europe were from several previous posts by Europeans. I can't rememeber who it was but they were going on and on about how expensive it is to purchase a CD and that causes them to just download it for free. Personally, I couldn't tell you how much a CD in Europe costs. I couldn't think of any reason why they would be more expensive than here; I was just quoting.

Regarding bands that offer up free music: I, too, know of this. I know several bands personally who do this. Generally speaking, bands post music on their websites because they are unsigned. I doubt many contracted bands post free music on their website. I'm sure there are some, but a signed band generally would not have the rights to do so.

Regarding quality: I agree with you here. I've spent just as much money on CDs that I've tossed in the trash than I have that I played over and over. It's always pissed me off but I've always just felt that was the nature of the business. There *are* opportunities here in the US to listen to albums before you buy. Several bookstores allow this. It's helpful.

Regarding me as old school: you're all probably right. I'm not much older than you at 28 but I sometimes think I just missed some kind of "internet revolution". While many of you guys were at the height of computer knowledge, tinkering away on high priced machines your parents bought you, I was toiling away in college, or struggling with a high-stress nursing job. I still use dial-up for $7 a month. I couldn't care less if my computer exploded. Shit, look at my first post in this thread - I had to ask "what do you mean? downloading music? huh?"

My understanding is that downloading music is illegal. I understand the arguments that perhaps downloading and sharing music had lead to more exposure and profits for bands who wouldn't have gained either otherwise. I can appreciate that. However, I don't believe that downloading it is a necessary link in the chain to enjoying it. I can safely say that the bands I've come to enjoy from this website, have benefited from my patronage without the prior illegal downloading of their music. I asked Nick and Joey for recommendations and they gave them to me. I went out (or ordered) and bought the CDs. I paid shipping and handling. I paid taxes. I think it safe to say that the economy benefits more from my $18 CD purchase that it does when someone illegally downloads the same music. Further, it's offensive that, while I'm "re-distributing the wealth", you guys are just stealing it. Say what you want about me, but I don't think moral apathy is a basis for a quality life. Like I said before, stealing music doesn't sound like a big deal but it's very difficult to quarantine inappropriate behaviors. I know from experience.

Moonlapse: excellent post. I almost miss the days of vinyl. Aside from their short life span, they had the coolest inserts and their sheer size made you feel like you've made a good purchase. It was a tangible experience.

For a good while now, I've wished that recorded music would go away and leave live music alone. During the Music City Marathon here, there are bands on every corner of the course - all kinds of different styles. I've always thought that should be happening on a daily basis - not just for big events. And of course, the bands should be supported with tickets sales.

i am a little guilty of pirating music, in fact i have all the opeth albums on mp3 but ive only bought damnation! i feel really bad about it because supporting underground metal is such a good thing, but i look at it like this, theyve got their fair share of cash from me (3 concerts, 2 shirts, 1 DVD) i will definitly buy the next album

Actually I like that 'tinkering away on high priced machines your parents bought you, I was toiling away in college, or struggling with a high-stress nursing job.'. I'm just now beginning to understand what that feels like. It seems like all these little kiddies around me have their folks buying them new, high-end machines, while I'm here desperately trying to fund the college and trying to make home recordings on a 4-year old low-end machine... which is pretty ridiculous and fruitless. That's the way of life though.

david411 said:
i am a little guilty of pirating music, in fact i have all the opeth albums on mp3 but ive only bought damnation! i feel really bad about it because supporting underground metal is such a good thing, but i look at it like this, theyve got their fair share of cash from me (3 concerts, 2 shirts, 1 DVD) i will definitly buy the next album

are you 6? nobody put a gun to your head and made you buy 2 shirts, a dvd and go to 3 concerts. im glad youve at least contributed in some way...but there isnt a minimum quota of memorbilia before youre off the hook from actually paying for the music youre listening to. Its still stealing regardless how many concerts youve attended or t-shirts you wear.

im all for downloading music in regards to listening to a few songs, or if you are still going to purchase the album...i often do this to preview music first hand. but id never settle for MP3s alone...its wrong and immoral.

Glad to see I'm getting support here. I was honestly looking foward to what NFU had to say on this subject.
But while there doesn't seem to be much else going on in the thread today, I'll say this: NFU, I know you're a Rush fan. I just went out and bought the "remaster" of Signals. I hadn't listened to it for years. It's fucking awesome. Geddy's fat tone makes me wonder why I ever quit playing bass. Anyone else who hasn't ever heard this great album is missing out.

Damn, I should get it as soon as I have the money.

dorian gray said:
Glad to see I'm getting support here. I was honestly looking foward to what NFU had to say on this subject.
But while there doesn't seem to be much else going on in the thread today, I'll say this: NFU, I know you're a Rush fan. I just went out and bought the "remaster" of Signals. I hadn't listened to it for years. It's fucking awesome. Geddy's fat tone makes me wonder why I ever quit playing bass. Anyone else who hasn't ever heard this great album is missing out.

Hey, Luz. The two of us on at the same time. That never happens. Anyway, you can't go wrong with Rush.
I also picked up Katatonia, Dark Tranquillity, and Porcupine Tree. I've never heard any of these bands but I just went through the store and picked out some stuff I've seen here. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet though.

Yes, rush is amazing....

but back to the topic at hand....im very bitter and confused about one thing...

Everyone assumes they have the RIGHT to listen to music. Nobody has the right to listen to music if its not their own creation, or if its not free.

Just because you like Opeth doesnt mean you should necessarily be able to steal their music without paying and justify it.

Obviously downloading music is alright in some respects (previewing, paying for them, promoting unsigned bands that aprove, etc etc)...but people who feel that just because they want to listen to something means its free and they shouldnt have to pay for it.

I understand not everyone can afford every album. I cant...if i could, i would own every album ever worth listening to. Its just like anything else...if i enjoy running...then i have to wait until i can buy new shoes...or i have to run barefoot. Its as simple as that. Dont download music to keep unless youre going to buy it ...at least eventually...thats how i see it.

NFU: I completely agree with everything you said. Where were you the past couple days?

WTF??? We're always practically at the same time online (oh wait, I get it, you were being ironic...)
I hope you enjoy those records. I haven't heard Porcupine Tree yet for the reasons NineFeetUnderground said below this message. I hate download music, I have a couple though, but as soon as I have the money I buy the originals, you know?
It's so difficult to find them here that If I have to travel to another country or province to have those records, it's more expensive even if it's more than worth it.
It sucks.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

P.S: Now tell me something funny.

dorian gray said:
Hey, Luz. The two of us on at the same time. That never happens. Anyway, you can't go wrong with Rush.
I also picked up Katatonia, Dark Tranquillity, and Porcupine Tree. I've never heard any of these bands but I just went through the store and picked out some stuff I've seen here. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet though.

Luz said:
WTF??? We're always practically at the same time online (oh wait, I get it, you were being ironic...)
I hope you enjoy those records. I haven't heard Porcupine Tree yet for the reasons NineFeetUnderground said below this message. I hate download music, I have a couple though, but as soon as I have the money I buy the originals, you know?
It's so difficult to find them here that If I have to travel to another country or province to have those records, it's more expensive even if it's more than worth it.
It sucks.

Luz.-

P.S: Now tell me something funny.

no looz, let me clarify. im against downloading if the people never intend to buy the albums or pay for the music or support the bands. I know you buy all the albums you can...and download stuff you plan on buying. so i dont have a problem with that...

dorian...ive been around. just not much to post lately...silly threads.

actually i'm being *sarcastic* but you're very close.

so, something funny....hmmm.....it's the end of the a long day so it's kinda hard...
something just saying, "fuck" is funny.
or "vagina". it makes some men uncomfortable, whereas, without batting an eye, they will refer to their "rod", or their "dick", or their...."johnson".

Damn! sarcastic...ironic. Ok.
'Fuck' is a funny word, I love the word 'awesome', the word 'awe' too.
Naming your penis Johnson is sooooooooo stupid, I remember Don Johnson from that stupid Miami Vice era... it sucked.

Luz.-

dorian gray said:
actually i'm being *sarcastic* but you're very close.

so, something funny....hmmm.....it's the end of the a long day so it's kinda hard...
something just saying, "fuck" is funny.
or "vagina". it makes some men uncomfortable, whereas, without batting an eye, they will refer to their "rod", or their "dick", or their...."johnson".

Luz said:
Damn! sarcastic...ironic. Ok.
'Fuck' is a funny word, I love the word 'awesome', the word 'awe' too.
Naming your penis Johnson is sooooooooo stupid, I remember Don Johnson from that stupid Miami Vice era... it sucked.

Luz.-

my Johnson is swedish. im going to name him Johannson :p

What about books, then? Photocopying is illegal, isn't it? So, if I want to do some research on a topic, do I have to buy 100 books? Augh, wait: people don't read!