Do you consider Opeth a "true" death metal band?

^^^

To me, death metal is ugly and brutal. Generally speaking, the Florida bands, the NY bands, and the Swedish (of the Dismember/Grave/etc persuasion) represent death metal in my mind.

People can invent whatever subgenres they want to justify it, but I can't see how Opeth are a death metal band.

yeah u oviously see opeth on that death metal list i think u need 2 shit ur gay as mouth up lmao its not like opeth doesent use growler vocals get a grip on reality man listen to deliverence and tell me theyre not death

Obviously they have elements of death metal, but do you consider them part of the ranks with Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, and Metallica?

or are they a prog band like Marillion! your call!

good call bang!

opeth have as much to do with true death metal as marillion do with true prog!

Opeth have gone through huge changes from black metal to prog, so I personally wouldn't characterise them as a death metal band. It's just a phase that can be heard in Mikael's voice and the heavy use of double bass drumming. They don't even downtune their electrics.

Opeth isn't "true" DM. What a silly question. "True" Metal imo means Metal that has no influences and roots except other Metal of the same kind. This is so not the case with Opeth.

I laughed about the "Death to false Metal" slogan when I listened to my then-favourite Manowar and took it as a joke. When I heard that my later favourite Death's Mastermind Chuck Schuldiner also advocates "True" Metal, I was pretty disappointed. While it's absolutely ok to make such music I find it ridiculous to claim it as the (only) "true" style.

I find these "labels" debates completely sterile about trying to know what is what and so on.

All I know is to virgin ears : they wouldn't make a difference between the death metal ( fuck I used a label I am doomed) parts of Opeth and a standard Cannibal Corpse song, I know I would have the same question : Why do they do that ?

These debates with the pseudo initiated are funny.

You have to remember that they are still a lot of people in this world who think AC DC's music is harsh.

And I also love the pseudo elitist definition of death metal I find more and more that says that death metal shouldn't have slick production and should be raw and shit !

So , Nile is a polka country band ?

Give me a fucking break with your Dismember, Grave and early Deicide, Morbid Angel : what a fucking narrow minded attitude.

Death Metal ended after the first Master demo ...
For me, Death Metal ended on the second guitar lick Larry lalonde played on Seven Churches
etc blah blah bullshit etc etc ... yaddi yaddah

See : I am more metal than all of you.

Give up the Dictionnary of music attitude, it s getting lamer by the nano second.

Good music is good music.

Slipknot is Death Metal.

I also dont like labelling bands and their music, but to my non-metal friends I do describe Opeth as Melodic Death Metal and they seem to understand that.... go figure. I just dont like labelling and discussions what is truly this or that, you know? I can understand the need of people in general but it isnt always necessary

OPETH...a Death Metal band....yes and no...:loco:

I belong to the "older generation" in this forum...age 41...but the "metal" stays in my collection. :headbang: :headbang: I do not listen a lot to other hard DEATH METAL bands...In my younger days i was inspired by Led Zeppelin,KISS, AC/DC..Iron Maiden...

And i think thats why i like OPETH. To me Opeth have there "roots " in the same bands....But Opeth have there own sound. Thats is too me what makes the band unick. Like the "softness" in there songs......but hope that they will take "it a bit further" on the next album. More agressive and faster songs...but still the "opeth way"....

I only think "death metal"...because of the way Mike sings...

No, not really. I think Opeth is a band that uses the death metal style to create more intense moods in their music, just like they use prog to create certain emotions in their music. To try and toss them into a "true" genre puts limits on the range of sounds they can explore.

I find these "labels" debates completely sterile about trying to know what is what and so on.

All I know is to virgin ears : they wouldn't make a difference between the death metal ( fuck I used a label I am doomed) parts of Opeth and a standard Cannibal Corpse song, I know I would have the same question : Why do they do that ?

These debates with the pseudo initiated are funny.

You have to remember that they are still a lot of people in this world who think AC DC's music is harsh.

And I also love the pseudo elitist definition of death metal I find more and more that says that death metal shouldn't have slick production and should be raw and shit !

So , Nile is a polka country band ?

Give me a fucking break with your Dismember, Grave and early Deicide, Morbid Angel : what a fucking narrow minded attitude.

Death Metal ended after the first Master demo ...
For me, Death Metal ended on the second guitar lick Larry lalonde played on Seven Churches
etc blah blah bullshit etc etc ... yaddi yaddah

See : I am more metal than all of you.

Give up the Dictionnary of music attitude, it s getting lamer by the nano second.

Good music is good music.

Slipknot is Death Metal.

Well... I'm not sure what a lot of that was about, but I'll say it again as I have elsewhere - putting labels to genres and subgenres IS necessary, as opposed to this idealistic "oh you can't put labels on music you should just enjoy good music blah blah blah" crap. I happen to like (most of) my death metal fairly straightforward, none of this over-the-top technical triggered-to-hell nonsense. I don't give a damn what "virgin ears" can and can't differentiate between, who's going to ask some average joe in the street for a death metal recommendation anyway?