Do you ever find Opeth to be tedious?

Metalbite

Pillaging the Underground
Feb 28, 2002
Hobart, Australia
www.metalbite.com
I was just wondering this as I was looking over some of the posts in this forum and there are a lot of ass-kissing (no disrespect) posts about how godlike and omnipresent Opeth are.

Do any of you Opeth fans get sick of Opeth at the best of times?

Opeth suck, I'm just here for the discussion....

But seriously, I know what you mean. They aren't my favourite band, but their talent is all too obvious.

Originally posted by Metalbite
I was just wondering this as I was looking over some of the posts in this forum and there are a lot of ass-kissing (no disrespect) posts about how godlike and omnipresent Opeth are.

Do any of you Opeth fans get sick of Opeth at the best of times?
I listen to many different forms of music depending on how i feel. If i am in a mood that Opeth suits then i will listen to Opeth nonstop without getting sick of them or anything. But currently Opeth just dont suit how im feeling, so i dont listen to them much right at the moment, but in no way am i sick of them.

But if people are going to get sick of anything it will more likely be BWP, simply because it has more repeating riffs (ie, almost verse/chorus structures in places)... if its orchid or morningrise its hard to get sick of anything since any riff only occurs a maximum of two seperate times in an album.

Hmmmmm........

Lemme See............

Ahh................................

...........................................NO.:p

I usually alternate between my two favorite bands depending on my mood... Those bands being Dream Theater and Opeth... Occasionally, I'll throw in one of my other favs... (Death, Control Denied, Symphony X, Steve Vai, YaYoGakk, etc...) Since I've discovered Opeth, I can now say that I have a band to listen to no matter what my mood is... For example, I've been really inspired today to work on my solo playing... So, what did I do? I threw in Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare! Now, as the sun is rising and I'm preparing for bed (Yeah, I know, wierd hours) I'm sitting back and listening to Forestall by our own YaYoGakk... heh heh... (God, this song is awesome...)

L8r!

...Of course...

Everything is tedious at some point, that is why i listen to LOTS of different bands... I am usually in a different mood when i start listening to a new band... or pulling something old out of my collection.

I was obsessed with Atheist this week... played the band NON stop for about four days... Then it was an old Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura, Machine head... for a few days.... I'm not sure what's next. Not opeth.. be sure of that. I haven't listened to Opeth for a couple of months actually. I am honestly here just for the discussion.

Good band... But they are no 'gods', and i don't go for the 'asskissing' like alot of nobrainers around here :rolleyes:

i listen to em fairly frequently, and for a long time they were my favourite band, but if you hammer a cd long enough it'll lose its magic, so i always alternate with the rest of my collection..
mostly tool, dark tranquillity, immortal, metallica... variety is good, i also throw in some pearl jam and soundgarden for creative retrospect :) (nirvana suxx^_^~~)

I just don't see how one CAN get sick of Opeth.....:confused:

Seriously, I can see how some Opeth burnout could happen, especially if the listener doesn't have the best attention span, but I can't see it ever happening to me!:D

What the fuck is the purpose of this thread!? Some people will think Opeth are god like and some just won't like them. I think that every band will get this reaction from it's fan base so trying to belittle someones opinion with yours is not only childish it will get you nowhere!

I don't find them tedious because I don't listen to them when I know I am not in the mood. Sometimes my mood changes while listening, so I just put on something else or nothing at all.

I know what you mean.

i don't find opeth tedious, but i suppose some people worship them a bit to much. they are no virtuosos, they just write good songs with a good balance of melody and technicality. but to say i find opeth tedious? hardly, except on maybe two occasions in blackwater park (dirge for november ending and that acoustic interlude in blackwater park). they could only get tedious if you expect more from them from what they deliver.

I cannot listen to full albums ever, lets not say opeth. For some reason i just cannot stay away for the entire lenght of an album anymore, the only exeption its when its a brand new cd ( and not always ) i think i have a real problem sometimes, i can loose focus on music way to easily even on live situations with my bands ( lucky me im somehow used to it and dont make regretable mistakes ).

I don't find listening to Opeth at all tedious, for myself it's a pleasure to listen to Opeth not a chore. There are bands that do become a chore/tedious while listening. Obviously, an album can require a lot while listening and still pay off.