Do you ever find Opeth to be tedious?

I bought all of opeths albums ina three day time period, and listend to them like a damn fiend forever. But that was nearly a year or more ago and I have burned them out. Thats not to say that they are tedious< I have just totaly burned them out from over listenning.

I find that for a few weeks at a time, I will listen to nothing but Opeth. I doubt that I will ever get tired of Morningrise or Blackwater Park. When you consider the range of musical styles along with the depth of their material, it's very difficult to get tired of them.

On the other hand, after listening to them for a few weeks, I won't touch them again for a while. Opeth is just so different from all other metal bands that I find it really hard to mix them together. When I crave Opeth, I get borderline-obsessive about listening to them. But once that passes, it's nice to put the CDs away for a while, knowing that I will come back soon enough.

Opeth can be tedious only if you give the music 100% attention - then all the repetition and formulaic arrangements can feel annoying - the ears demand development, damnit! They are a band which supports more relaxed and contemplative listening, like "mood music".

But then, most of metal doesn't support 100% attention, so if you're calling them tedious in comparison to other metal bands, you're dead wrong.

D Mullholand

I have a thing where I become obsessed with a band for a week or so. The move on to the next. It hasn't been Opeth for a while, but they're coming back 'round the conveyor belt.

Originally posted by Metalbite
I was just wondering this as I was looking over some of the posts in this forum and there are a lot of ass-kissing (no disrespect) posts about how godlike and omnipresent Opeth are.

Do any of you Opeth fans get sick of Opeth at the best of times?
Um.....

No :p

"What the fuck is the purpose of this thread!? Some people will think Opeth are god like and some just won't like them. I think that every band will get this reaction from it's fan base so trying to belittle someones opinion with yours is not only childish it will get you nowhere"

Hehe, I knew I would get a response like this. Why on earth would I try and belittle someone else's opinion? It is a public FORUM brother. Calm your ass down, I am just looking for a few opinions not personal attacks.

Damn, What's wrong with you people. It doesn't sound like anyone here really even listens to Opeth. You ( Whoever) can't sit through a whole Opeth album.....Still life bores you to tears... Opeth get more credit then they deserve......to much monotony...etc...!!!! Goddamn! Aren't you people the fans? Do you all have the attention span of a 4 year old....Jesus fucking Christ people! Go listen to some American pop music ...its music made for people just like you. :mad: :mad: :confused: :mad:

Originally posted by Urizen
Damn, What's wrong with you people. It doesn't sound like anyone here really even listens to Opeth. You ( Whoever) can't sit through a whole Opeth album.....Still life bores you to tears... Opeth get more credit then they deserve......to much monotony...etc...!!!! Goddamn! Aren't you people the fans? Do you all have the attention span of a 4 year old....Jesus fucking Christ people! Go listen to some American pop music ...its music made for people just like you. :mad: :mad: :confused: :mad:

Unbunch your panties already....
I don't know about anyone else, but I am an avid OPETH fan....I just don't really like Still Life as much as their other albums. It's just my least favorite album...the only one where I don't like every song. In my opinion, it just sounds lackluster.

P.S. American pop music can go to hell.....

I haven't been listening to Opeth very long and I only have one album so i wouldn't know yet if i get bored of them or not. I've been listening to BWP for a few months and i still like it a lot, although i have been having trouble paying attention to it lately so i might be getting bored of that album.

Actually I've had Still Life since it came out and listened to it countless times....it just doesn't have any oomph....I only really like White Cluster and Godhead's Lament...the rest of the songs are just ok.....