Do you feel it is alright to curse?

Trinitial

Dec 13, 2011
If atheists want to respond, they are definitely free to.

Do you feel it is alright to curse? I've heard "Christians" curse quite a bit and it makes me question them a little. Now I know they aren't perfect, (since I've done worse) but do you think that it is a sin?

How do you guys feel? Is it wrong?

I, myself, believe that cursing is sinful. There are a few verses in the Bible that mention cursing, like Colossians 3:8

"But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."

Not judging anyone or anything. I'm just curious to what people's inputs are.

Should have added a poll. (Can you do that on these boards?)

I believe it is wrong.

In my mind, the words I use are much less important than the content and intended effect of what I'm saying. Some might want to poke holes in that statement, but to me it is that simple.

I believe that the worst of them are bad, and using God's name in vain is bad.

BUT: I think that using words like 'the D-word' ;) in MUSIC just strengthens the emotion in the song. UNLESS it is just some idiot screaming swear words into a mic.

And I am not allowed to swear because my parents say I am not, so......;)

Cursing and using "bad language" are not the same thing. The intent is what's important, not the actual words. After all, Paul who wrote Colossians is the same guy that gets so angry he wishes some people would cut their own balls off (translation mine, but accurate). Galatians 5:12. Then you have the OT which has all sorts of super harsh, violent, description language that is much more "offensive" then any of our common "curse words." Its another example of modern Western Christianity where the focus is unimportant details instead of how we're keeping the two greatest commandments.

I mean, the OT has language that recommends killing women and children and we get all twisted up if we see another Christian say "damn." Uh-huh.

Here is my take on this "filthy language" thing. O.K. so let's say a man says, "That tree is so damn tall..." Is he sinning, in saying that? Seriously?

Let's say a man says "Damn you!"
Is he sinning? Well... he could be joking but he most likely is sinning ;).

I feel like kicking it up a notch.

Say a man says "That is a ****ing huge alligator!"
Is he sinning? EEHH... prolly not! Unless he is trying to offend his brother in Christ who might be sensitive to these words.

Just a little bit to think about... idunno.

I curse jokingly but don't usually curse people out. I mean... not that it makes one a horrible person cuz my thoughts are probably 1000X as bad as their "profanity".

OH... and I think filthy language is more of words with a filthy meaning meant in a filthy way...

I guess a sexually degrading slur or calling someone some king of derogatory term would fall into this category.

In the end it's about motives.

I agree that the filthy language spoken of in Colossians is making a way deeper statement than simply "don't use certain words." But many words in are, in most contexts, filthy. For me, the bottom line is, don't use words that are (reasonably) considered offensive by our culture, because you will senselessly and unnecessarily offend someone. I find many "bad words" offensive myself, though not all of them. I see nothing wrong with "d___ it!" or "What the H___!" But still I don't use those words, because they are likely to offend some people, and there are a thousand other things I could say instead. What we say needs to have a positive purpose, whether the words are "bad" or not.

Of course, if someone used offensive words and genuinely did not realize that they were offensive, there would be no sin. But almost always, when ugly words are used, the point is to insult, disrespect, or generally show off how "cool" or worldly one is. I believe that's wrong.

Swear words are words that we've corrupted ourselves.

Ass used to mean donkey, and now it means... um... butt.
B*tch used to mean female dog, and now it means whore.
Sh*t used to mean dirt, and now it means crap (uh...).
Damn means "condemn to hell."
Hell means "the place sinners go when they die."
F*ck means "to have sexual intercourse," and it... still does. >.<

There are only a couple words on that list that should even be offensive! It's how you think of the words that would make them right or wrong to use.

I, personally, don't find any offense in the words "hell" or "damn," so it's not surprising for me to use them on, say, an internet forum. I won't use them IRL, because I know that people, such as my family, will take offense to them. I know what the words mean, but I don't see much reason why they should really offend people, but I am courteous and make sure I don't use them around people who would take offense to them.

I was much more offended by swearing until I attended an event in August put on by five popular thriller authors, who happened to be Christians. Near the beginning, Ted Dekker apologized in advance. Since he grew up in Indonesia (his parents were missionaries), he had a much different upbringing, and asked for leniency if he used any language that would seem inappropriate to the average Christian. And it's not like he frequently used the f-bomb or anything; when he did "swear," it was rare and was, actually, appropriate. I was actually amazed at how smoothly he spoke. He didn't curse. He used language that to him was natural, though to others it may not be. IMO, "swearing" can be appropriate, but the way the average person swears (you know, spitting out obscenities) is just wrong, and I would consider it sinning.

I admit to using terms such as "kickass" on this forum, and that's because I've come to realize that it's not offensive unless we think it is or abuse it. People offended by language use the term "kickbutt" all the time, and it means the exact same thing. But once again, you can abuse swear words, and I can't stand that. Abusing the words is what truly offends me.

Well, the f-word and the b-word offend me anyway, but I assume you get my point.

Perhaps I should say why I don't find "hell" or "damn" offensive.

By hell, I mean, for example, the line, "What the hell?" I do, however, find the line "Go to hell!" offensive. I hope I don't have to explain why.

The same with damn. "Damn it!" isn't necessarily wrong, unless you're, say, referring to a person. Once again, a line such as "Damn you!" would offend me.

Just thought I'd clear that up in case I confused anybody.

EDIT: I really, like, abused my use of commas in this, uh, post.

I agree with what a lot of you are saying...that it's intent that matters. If someone is cursing to totally rip someone to shreds, I'm way more offended than if they are cursing to just joke around or be funny.

However, as Christians, when we do what the world deems wrong (even if it means avoiding words we think are just words) in front of people, then BLAM! there goes your witness. People notice when you obviously avoid cuss words, but they REALLY pick up on it when you use them. It sucks to have to be on your toes all the time, but the fact is, you're held to a higher standard if people know you are a believer. You're expected to be a practicer, even if the words literally mean nothing to you.

I know you can always say, if someone takes me the wrong way that I don't mean to, then it's their fault. But wouldnt you rather be safe than sorry? Wouldnt you rather do everything possible to make sure you are taken seriously? Wouldn't you rather try as hard as you can to be Jesus with skin on?

Your witness is everything. And it doesnt matter how you think you look. Perceptions become reality for people.

^ Exactly. As I mentioned, I may use a slightly extended vocabulary in a place such as an internet forum, but not around other people, especially those who would be offended. For me it's not acting; I'm truly being myself in both instances. If I thought that my language would offend someone, I would be more than happy to not use that language. If Trinitial truly wants me to not use any terms such as the ones that I have mentioned in above posts ("what the hell," etc.), then I will restrain myself from doing so.

It sucks to have to be on your toes all the time,

I went from being an avid swearer to an extremely rare one (when I converted). In my experience, it was hard to "be on my toes all the time" initially, but once I got used to it, it became no work at all. It's just not part of my vocabulary anymore, so it takes no effort. Actually, on the rare occasion when I do fit it appropriate to swear, *that* takes effort.

If I thought that my language would offend someone, I would be more than happy to not use that language. If Trinitial truly wants me to not use any terms such as the ones that I have mentioned in above posts ("what the hell," etc.), then I will restrain myself from doing so.

Also know that the moderator has no problem calling someone out on it (privately) if it goes over the line repeatedly :devil:

I basically agree with what Atreides said about intent, but labarum and Arkatox make good points too. How you conduct yourself influences how your message will be received. If we behave no differently than the rest of the world, it shouldn't be a surprise if people don't listen to us. Granted, swearing a minor thing when compared to stuff like stealing or sexual sins which have brought down ministries and entire churches, but it can still make a difference. So I think you need to be careful what you say and around whom you say it.

That said, this is definitely an area in which I have room for improvement. Like Seastorm, I've tried to cut back since my conversion. I think I'm a lot better about it now, but unfortunately things tend to slip out sometimes when I'm stressed or irritated, which is all to often these days. So that's something I have to work on.

I agree with what was said above except to a further extent. If we are to be like Christ, and cussing has become known as a bad thing, then doing it at all will be bad because non-Christians will judge you. And if you did it in the privacy of your own home I say it's still bad because, let's face it, the more you say something, the more likely it is that it will slip out in front of people as well. Not to say that everyone will judge you. If I saw another Christian cussing, I wouldn't judge him but probably feel bad for him.

"The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences." Proverbs 18:21