Do you hear any TOOL on Ghost Reveries?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Because I do. The transitions, lots of the Tool-like syncopated rhythms, some of the Eastern atmospherics are also evocative of Lateralus. So what does everyone else think?

Both Tool and Opeth rule by the way.

Be prepared for a bunch of haters bogging down this thread with their hate of Tool, Tool fans, etc. Lateralus rules, but I haven't heard GR yet so I have nothing else to contribute here :erk:

I definitely hear elements of tool in their music, which isnt too big of a surprise since theyre all tool fans. But the syncopated stuff and eastern stuff has been around since blackwater park. If you're a tool fan, you've probably also noticed the impact death metal, like meshuggah and stuff, has had on them.

Don't forget the King Diamond-esque riff about 3min in on The Funeral Portrait.
:danceboy:

Demilich said:
Be prepared for a bunch of haters bogging down this thread with their hate of Tool, Tool fans, etc. Lateralus rules, but I haven't heard GR yet so I have nothing else to contribute here :erk:

Eh? There's an abundance of love for that band on this forum, there's more love given here then on TDN sometimes.

There first time I put Ghost Reveries into my stereo I had to check the cover one more time for TOOL refrences, cos' in Ghost of Perdition's interesting introduction there's so much of Tool!

Same here. When I first heard Ghost of Perdition I noticed a very direct Tool influence. Whoever said the grudge nailed it. Akerfeldt has said on a few occasions that Tool is one of his favorite bands, so it's only natural for them to influence his writing from time to time.

Some riffs in GoP are reminiscent of The Grudge. Also, the similarities could be more present since Opeth used Drop-D tuning for this record, which is the tuning that Tool uses for most of their songs. Bound to be some similar chord progressions there as well.

deltarider99 said:
Some riffs in GoP are reminiscent of The Grudge. Also, the similarities could be more present since Opeth used Drop-D tuning for this record, which is the tuning that Tool uses for most of their songs. Bound to be some similar chord progressions there as well.

They didn't use Drop-D.

I don't hear anything really. Two differnt styles, but I have heard a few tool fans say GR its riddled with Tool. However, I think that they are saying this because there is alot of rivalry between the fans of both bands.

Nichtsicher said:
I don't hear anything really. Two differnt styles, but I have heard a few tool fans say GR its riddled with Tool. However, I think that they are saying this because there is alot of rivalry between the fans of both bands.

no, they say it because there are lots of tool-isms. Maybe i should show you some side-by comparisons so you hear it?