Do you hear any TOOL on Ghost Reveries?

Bierce85 said:
I'd say its the repeating D power chord riff. It's almost identical to a part in the Grudge.

10,000 days sucks BTW. Just wanted to say that.
10,000 days isn't really as good as Lateralus afaik imo, but it has some decent songs. (wings for marie 1 and 2, vicarious, the pot)

BurningSky said:
Those are pretty close to my exact thoughts about it. Tool didn't come up with the down-stroking, syncopated rhythm hard rock thing.
But as I said, Akerfeldt is a Tool fan, and the part is pretty much exactly the same pattern. So it's almost certainly where the riff came from. I'd bet if Mike see's this thread, he'll confirm it. Know why? Cause it doesn't matter. To me, even if it's a direct ripoff, it doesnt matter. All bands rip other bands off, but there's no doubt that Opeth's music is uniquely Opeth, and a part that sounds like the Grudge doesn't change, or cheapen that fact.

The song "Vicarious" rules though, I might add. It's up there with my fav. tool songs of all time.

biggsy said:
I don't listen thinking "OK let's play 'Spot the Influences'!" I listen to music, enjoying it just for what it is, not for who it sounds like.

neither do I. but thats why ignorance is bliss for most Opeth fans. Opeth drenches the listener in some obvious influences quite frequently.

NineFeetUnderground said:
neither do I. but thats why ignorance is bliss for most Opeth fans. Opeth drenches the listener in some obvious influences quite frequently.

True, Opeth ripped off quite a few bands. Mainly obscure 70's progressive bands. Most Opeth fan(boy)s keep their eyes (ears) shut, they don't want to admit they are actually listening to a rip-off band. Sad really.

I definitely hear many influences in Opeth. I'm sure Akerfeldt would be the first to admit to a wide array of different musical influences. Most musicians are influenced by other musicians. Of course I don't see Mikael sitting around thinking "Now how can I make this riff sound like Tool?" Hardly the point.

Bierbommetje said:
True, Opeth ripped off quite a few bands. Mainly obscure 70's progressive bands. Most Opeth fan(boy)s keep their eyes (ears) shut, they don't want to admit they are actually listening to a rip-off band. Sad really.

sir, get back on the other side of that tape. youre just as bad as they are.

i was going to bitch at NFU for being so pessimistic, but then you had to say something so fucking retarded i not only forgave NFU for being so pessimistic but now am being a bitch to you to. you're a fucking idiot lol

philza said:
i was going to bitch at NFU for being so pessimistic, but then you had to say something so fucking retarded i not only forgave NFU for being so pessimistic but now am being a bitch to you to. you're a fucking idiot lol

I don't blame you for that attitude, man. Fuck what Im saying, cause you don't wanna know what I know. Just ignore me... for your own good.

Ignorance is bliss.

Im off, goodnight.

I haven't really listened to Tool but I'm thinking about getting 10,000 days though. So I wouldn't really know if there's any Tool on GR

WTF555666 said:
I haven't really listened to Tool but I'm thinking about getting 10,000 days though. So I wouldn't really know if there's any Tool on GR

Id start with Aenima. You won't hear any 10,000 Days on GR anyway for obvious reasons.

Don't get 10,000 days... it's not a real Tool album. Get Aenima and Lateralus and experience why Tool is one of the coolest bands ever.