Do you like Opeth?

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
I am a big Opeth fan and was wondering if there are any Opeth fans among you. Not that SX and Opeth are so alike musically, but they are both great.:cool: I however rate Opeth even higher than SX, just so thats said. Although SX make more enjoyable and less dark music.

One of my favorite band. Went to see them live in December.

Don't like their last 2 albums that much but they're still one of the most dynamic and interesting bands today. Today I'd say I rate them higher than SX as well but that doesn't really matter does it since they're not anything like each other.

Uhhuh. Now I know where to put you. :Smug: Yer a thrasher! MORNINGRISE was a good album, but I don't like the other two, especially ORCHID.

You know what they say about assuming now, do you? i'm not a thrasher. Does one automatically get that tag everytime one admits to not liking them? My interests cover everything from progressive metal to death, black, jazz, electronic music and darkwave.

I mentioned the first 3 'cause they are the most original of their works (albeit the one's with more structural problems). After those they fell into a gimmick IMHO, getting too predictable with their formula and being comfortable with the craft they've mastered over the years.

To be honest, If I wanted to get touched on an emotional level by music i'd listen to other bands.

Yes!

I love all of their albums, but with special emphasis on Damnation and Ghost Reveries. If I ever make a list of 5 bands that have influenced me the most, they will most certainly be in it!

One of my favorite bands...with S-X being my fav. of course. Saw 'em live at Gigantour a few years back and loved their show as well. Favorite albums are Damnation and Deliverance I think. I liked Ghost Reveries as well quite a bit although it did lean a bit more toward the radio-friendly sound...still a great listen.

Deliverance is probably my favorite song by them and their best IMHO.

You know what they say about assuming now, do you? i'm not a thrasher. Does one automatically get that tag everytime one admits to not liking them? My interests cover everything from progressive metal to death, black, jazz, electronic music and darkwave.

I mentioned the first 3 'cause they are the most original of their works (albeit the one's with more structural problems). After those they fell into a gimmick IMHO, getting too predictable with their formula and being comfortable with the craft they've mastered over the years.

To be honest, If I wanted to get touched on an emotional level by music i'd listen to other bands.

No, its because you only like their first 3 albums. Which were most death metal-like. Morningrise was the most proggy of the three, but it too had more death metallic sound than their newer releases.

I enjoy some of their early stuff. Mostly pretty good music. I used to like them more like 4 years ago but that was the time when I found out about SyX. I then realized I had found music better suited for me.

Yes I do. I like Blackwater Park the most, then comes Damnation, and Orchid. Not really that much into their latest stuff.
And I like SymX more.

I picked up Orchid expecting a masterpiece and was extremely disappointed. All of the songs seem to follow the same formula of heavy section that consists of a repeated riff followed by abrupt, awkward shift into acoustic softness that also repeats one theme, followed by a raise in tempo again (usually through a drum or bass beat) to repeat the process ad infinatum. Boring...and the songs are long just to be long, they have no over-arching theme or anything, it's just one riff after another and nothing impressive musically. Honestly, if you rearranged some of the songs internally it would have no effect on their quality since they're such a homogenous blob anyway. And the piano piece was terrible...I dunno if that was their attempt to be progressive or whatever, but it wasn't very good.

May pick up another album in a while, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Hopefully the rest of their discography is more impressive.

Opeth are brilliant, one of the very, very, very few bands that you can actually say "there's no other band like them". Still Life is one of the greatest albums ever.

Their interesting but I tire of the gloomy doomy stuff

Same here, actually.
It's the weakest part of their music overall (in my opinion).

May pick up another album in a while, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Hopefully the rest of their discography is more impressive.

I would say check out Blackwater Park, and Damnation, and avoid Morning Rise or any of their earlier stuff (since you didn't like Orchid).