Do you or do you not? modern question...die by the sword

As I said in another thread; I refuse to feed the digital monster. People (especially in America) are so obsessed with instant gratification that they are freely sacrificing the once rewarding experience of being able to go into a store and find the album you are looking for, buying it and taking it home to absorb. It's frustrating. On the flipside, I also despise it when record labels give mp3 customers extra songs as a reward for them embracing the digital monster, and then punishing us true collectors/fans who are willing to pay more for the cd by shorting us songs. Record labels are practically begging people to commit piracy when they pull that despicable stunt.

I also still buy CD's. If they are one of my favourite bands, I will always preorder the CD. Once I receive the album, I listen to it once and then import it to iTunes. So, I am almost a CD collector since I only listen to them once now that I can listen to my iPod in the car. When I am walking around campus, I have some pretty decent earbuds that I use. Before my desktop at home crashed, I would usually listen to music on there with nice speakers. I do the same with those speakers at home with my laptop.

I will buy digital music if it happens to be a digital only release, if there are new tracks on a Single or a band that I cannot find an album under $20.

As I said in another thread; I refuse to feed the digital monster. People (especially in America) are so obsessed with instant gratification that they are freely sacrificing the once rewarding experience of being able to go into a store and find the album you are looking for, buying it and taking it home to absorb. It's frustrating. On the flipside, I also despise it when record labels give mp3 customers extra songs as a reward for them embracing the digital monster, and then punishing us true collectors/fans who are willing to pay more for the cd by shorting us songs. Record labels are practically begging people to commit piracy when they pull that despicable stunt.

I guess it's in a downward spiral. The whole piracy thing, like in other industries (video games, movies, etc.), forced the record companies to make the price of physical releases much higher to help them keep their head above water. That then probably triggered people to think they're being screwed over and attract them to piracy too. Which forces the companies to make the prices even higher, etc. In my opinion it's the people downloading everything who are doing the real damage. But at the same time I don't think you can blame them. Record companies are losing power and I guess it's best to just roll with it. You can complain all you want, and rightly so, but this downloading thing just has got too much momentum going to really do anything about it. Things like iTunes are working very well, because you keep the impulsiveness of downloading something the moment you think about it, but at the same time make money out of it. This probably keeps companies from making physical releases much more expensive, because it's not their primary source of income. I'm just glad that there's plenty of music lovers out there that buy cd's and download payed music to show their appreciation. I guess people don't realize as much as they should that there's a whole team of people involved and a lot of emotion, creativity, hard work and love to put a product like a cd or probably even more-so a movie or video game out there, and that this should be compensated by the person enjoying it.

Btw, I write to think, that's my disclaimer to the length of this post ;)

There are a lot of good bands out there, the definition of a "good band" is subjective based on your personal taste, it's kind of an invalid arguement. If your in a band these days especially a metal band making music, it's gotta be for the love of doing it and not the money, because to make it on selling cd's alone is suicide. If you want to check out the music first it's usually on youtube anyway haha but it really seperates the free loaders from the die hard fans. I'm not against hearing the music before you buy it, just those people who don't give a fuck about the musicians.

I'm pretty anti record labels making a fat ton of money while the artist makes less than 5%, regardless of weather its a physical or digital release. The future of the music business is in live performance.

I have a small collection of CDs. I left them at my parents house when I moved out. Even if someone was giving away CDs of bands I like I would not take them now. I have no interest in Plastic disks.

CDs, although I prefer vinyls... If only they weren't so expensive. :S I listen to most of my stuff on my iPod as I'm always on the go. But I dream of having a "listening room" with some kickass stereo and surround system. :D