do you think he regrets it

Night Reaper

ooo the reaper wants more
Oct 6, 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
alexi started to sign about reapers and reapers was children of bodom theme after 5 album do you think he is tired of singing about reapers ?

if he would change subject people would say they sold out ?

People say that Children of Bodom sold out with their last album. So of course there will always be a group that claims a band has sold out. It's like that with every band. To a lot of people, if a band has any mainstream success, they've sold out. As unfair as that sounds and is, it's true. The term "sell out" has long lost its meaning.

As for them singing about reapers and all; it's a part of what Children of Bodom are known for. They talk about mortality in their songs. Surely the band doesn't regret it, because through that, the band has gained success. And because of that, I doubt they'll stray too far from the 'reaper' theme.

However, if they change the subject matter up on the next album, I won't mind it too much. However, I'm sure people will tag them as sell-outs.

i dont think they write their lyrics from a selling point of view anyway , or thinking that if anyone wud like it .... they write and play what they feel good about.. so i guess :p no regrets there... kicking ass all the way...:headbang:

I don't think that singing about the reaper or not is really important.

I don't understand what Laiho saiys in his songs... but a love the music :headbang:

I wouldn't type some of them either. Some of them are so, ugh, what's a good word? Silly? Silly.

What they have in musical talent, they are somewhat lacking in the lyrical department. If you don't believe me, look up some of their lyrics.

yeah but some of the imagery laiho portrays with his lyrics is really cool, especially with the music behind it, you feel as if you're in a certain place. it's a really nice feeling. so he isn't that bad of a lyricist. besides, he can be pretty expressive with his vocals, so it all comes together in some songs.

yeah but some of the imagery laiho portrays with his lyrics is really cool, especially with the music behind it, you feel as if you're in a certain place. it's a really nice feeling. so he isn't that bad of a lyricist. besides, he can be pretty expressive with his vocals, so it all comes together in some songs.

Word!

To Bodom Alexi's voice is just an instrument in the band, and most of the time the lyrics mean virtually nothing, Bodom are all about the music. Meaningful lyrics were never really a part of this band, lets face it. They can sing about whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, as long as I still think the guitars and so forth sound good I'll still buy the records, see the shows and wear the t-shirt.

It's also nice to hear some good lyrics, I mean:

Downfall
The night of timeless fire is drawing near
I flee... Throughout the years of throe
Watching through a mirror, as I fall apart
I see a wreck, I'm burning

I see angels burning, falling down in ruins
Looking down I see me, I'm my own enemy

Watching myself decaying, falling from high spirits
I flee... Throughout the ruins of me
Longing for finding my way out
Leaving myself, there's nothing left for me
The ruins are about to crumble down.

The flame is dying by shivery winds of jet black skies
It reflects hatred in my eyes

I see angels burning, falling down in ruins
Looking down I see my ashes scattered around my grave

Angels whispering fire, no longer I'm alive
Settled down I'm done with the trip to my kingdom come

VS

Moonshield
Tried of dull ages, I walk the same ground,
collecting the tragedies still
Hollow ambitions in a hollow mind
carried my cross to the hill

And how I lust for the dance and the fire
deep of the nectarine sunset to drink
spill me the wind and its fire
to steal of the colours - I´m the moonshield

Shattered hope became my guide
and grief and pain my friends
a brother pact in blood-ink penned
declared my silent end

Naked and dying under worlds of silent stone
reaching for the moonshield that once upon us shone

Meaningful lyrics were never really a part of this band, lets face it

No! I won't face that becuase it's not fuckin true :) There's a part of Alexi's feelings and way of thinking in every song he has written so it's not meaningless. So face that by yourself.

People say that Children of Bodom sold out with their last album. So of course there will always be a group that claims a band has sold out. It's like that with every band. To a lot of people, if a band has any mainstream success, they've sold out. As unfair as that sounds and is, it's true. The term "sell out" has long lost its meaning.
My thoughts exactly. I'm so sick of this whole selling out bs. Being a musician in a band is a job just like any other job out there. So why shouldn't they get a reward for their work just like a random guy gets his paycheck at the end of the month? They have to pay their bills just like anyone else. And touring around the world isn't exactly the cheapest thing to do.

What the f*ck does "selling out" even mean? They changed their musical style a bit on AYDY and that's about it. They could play tango on the next record if they wanted to. Some fans seem to think that there's some sort of magical contract made between the fans and the band, which says that CoB has to make, say Hatebreederesque music as long as the band exists - no exceptions allowed. Well here's the news, there is no such contract. It's their music and they can do whatever they want with it. If you don't like it, fine. Find another band to listen, but don't whine about "selling out". CoB has not made promises to stay the same forever, and they don't (musically) "owe" you or any of their fans anything. The fans don't get to dictate the rules, which the band has to follow.

To Bodom Alexi's voice is just an instrument in the band, and most of the time the lyrics mean virtually nothing, Bodom are all about the music.
Alexi has said something very similar in many interviews, so this is true. Anyhow, this does not mean that the lyrics are just mindless screaming with random words. It really varies between different songs.

Woah there guys, don't misunderstand me, I didn't say that Alexi's lyrics were meaningless, I just ment that for most songs the lyrics aren't written down so most people can but speculate what they are, which means you have to make up the meaning behind the song yourself. I never said they were meaningless/random shouts or screams or whatever, but for alot of songs you can't really know what he is singing for sure.