Do you think that an extreme metal band could ever "break"

Roadrunner is probably a major label. A label does not have to be as big as the biggest label to be a major. I'm guessing it just has to be above something lower. I'm sure there are a lot of major labels that differ in album sales but still sell more than an indie.

Atleast in heavy music something like RR is a major. I think century media,nuclear blast are probably the biggest labels in heavy music. Something like sony is obvious a major label.

xxbigdavexx117 said:
I hated absolutely HATED death metal vocals the first time I ever heard DM

it just sounded awful

people are too close-minded to accept something outside of the norm
I loved everything about death metal the first time that I heard it.
The Greys said:
Atleast in heavy music something like RR is a major. I think century media,nuclear blast are probably the biggest labels in heavy music.
Metal Blade is pretty big too.

MasterOLightning said:
Opeth has probably gone too far into prog territory to get any bigger than they are.

You could be right. Opeth songs lengths could be preventing the band getting bigger over the prog elements within the music.

Zhou Tai 04 said:
I loved everything about death metal the first time that I heard it.

Metal Blade is pretty big too.

Metal Blade, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Sanctuary, Roadrunner etc. are all big Indie labels that specialize (niche) in Metal or Heavy music as opposed to a "Major" label that doesn't specialize in any one genre but usually come out with music of all types of genre's like Capitol, Warner Bros., Elektra/Atlanic, Sony, etc. Alot of big indie labels are owned by the Majors and/or are distributed by the Majors throught their distribution system. Plus the albums on Majors usually sell 1,000,000 copies or more as opposed to the Metal bands on the indie labels i mentioned who are lucky if they sell even 50,000 IMO. Satyricon's Volcano I think i read only sold like 15,000 in the U.S. which is kind of low for that band.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
VOCALS. DO. NOT. DETERMINE. WHETHER. A. BAND. IS. METAL. OR. NOT.
If you read it again, I wrote EXTREME metal. Of course a lot of metal has clean vocals, but you harly find any death or black metal bands with predominantly clean vocals. Come to think of it, I don't know if I consider Opeth extrme metal to begin with, and if they had all cleans, they would definitely not be extreme.

Life Sucks said:
If you read it again, I wrote EXTREME metal. Of course a lot of metal has clean vocals, but you harly find any death or black metal bands with predominantly clean vocals. Come to think of it, I don't know if I consider Opeth extrme metal to begin with, and if they had all cleans, they would definitely not be extreme.

There is extreme progressive metal, though, that is, aggressive prog metal with all/mainly clean vocals...perhaps Opeth would still fit into that niche, you know?

Just because it is hard to find doesn't mean it's impossible.

If the, you know, INSTRUMENTS were extreme still, why would it not be extreme? A band playing heavy, angular metal is not automatically disqualified from the realm of extremity for having all clean vocals...

generally anything that is mainstream is not extreme, and if anything previously considered extreme broke into the mainstream it would no longer be such. standards would change and the definition of extreme would shift.

There is plenty of music that is relatively mainstream or has been relatively mainstream in the context of the time period, and is still extreme. Nirvana? Etc.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
There is extreme progressive metal, though, that is, aggressive prog metal with all/mainly clean vocals...perhaps Opeth would still fit into that niche, you know?

Just because it is hard to find doesn't mean it's impossible.
What kind of bands are you talking about? Symphony X? I don't consider them extreme metal. The heaviest/most extreme all clean vocal band I can think of is probably Nevermore. I guess most of Primordial's vocals are kinda clean, and they're extreme metal. Urfaust are black metal with clean vocals, but they suck. I'm basically saying that there are very few extreme metal bands with all clean vocals. And I am talking about what is generally accepted to be extreme metal, and not metal that might happen to be extreme in terms of pushing the envelope in terms of innovative song writing.

I know what you mean, but you can't say that Opeth's music would be any less extreme with all clean vocals, really. Sure the vocals may be inaccessible (and perhaps that is the definition, to some degree, of "extremity" in metal...), but I wouldn't see them as any less extreme because they lack harsh vocas. Perhaps we just differ on definition.

Harsh vocals are gaining more acceptance recently. It is easier to imagine Extreme music being more mainstream today than it hase been in the past. It may not be DM grunts or BM shreiks, but the harsher side of vocals are becoming more tolerated. I was at the video store (family video to be exact) the other day and they had some screamo/hardcore band playing over the speakers. That would not have happened a few years ago.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I know what you mean, but you can't say that Opeth's music would be any less extreme with all clean vocals, really. Sure the vocals may be inaccessible (and perhaps that is the definition, to some degree, of "extremity" in metal...), but I wouldn't see them as any less extreme because they lack harsh vocas. Perhaps we just differ on definition.
IM 100% with you not questions asked .:headbang:
.:kickass: :Smokin: Slay oN .:loco:

Evil? said:
Harsh vocals are gaining more acceptance recently. It is easier to imagine Extreme music being more mainstream today than it hase been in the past. It may not be DM grunts or BM shreaiks, but the harsher side of vocals are becoming more tolerated. I was at the video store (family video to be exact) the other day and they had some screamo/hardcore band playing over the speakers. That would not have happened a few years ago.

Agreed I know some scene kids who are into scene grind like Heavy Heavy Low Low, etc. which is better than shit like My Chemical Romance.