Do you think that an extreme metal band could ever "break"

The closest extreme bands are going to get to the mainstream is MTV2- Head Bangers Ball (though thats cable and not everyone has it). Or radio play at 2 or 3am when no one is listening. For touring the closest to playing in front of say 30,000 people or more would be Ozzfest. Dimmu would be the closest thing to "extreme" music on that tour. I would admit that Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was pretty "extreme". I don't expect anytime soon for a band to play in arena's (Dimmu, Opeth, Deicide, Slayer, Dark Funeral...etc) bands of that stature will never be accepted into the norm and I am fine with that. Sure it yields smaller venues but over all cheaper ticket prices. The most have had to pay for a ticket was like 40$ and that was for Dream Theater a couple years ago. So there is no complaining here. I would love for a lot of bands to get the recognition they deserve but it will happen over time and on a smaller scale.

Dragonforce are getting pretty huge, but they are not extreme metal.

Facecage is an underground band that tours nationally, and they are about as extreme as The Burning Red era Machine Head, who they sound an awful lot like. Cannibal Corpse, conversely, is extreme metal and they have played in front of crowds exceeding 20,000 on several occasions, in addition to selling hundreds of thousands of albums throughout their career. A band's public profile has nothing to do with how extreme their music is, as "extreme metal" is a term used to describe the style of composition.

True. There is even underground hip hop and underground alt rock. The only difference is, that an extreme metal band could probably never get into the Billboard Top 10. However, I do think that it may be possible for one to break into the Top 50, and definitely the Top 100.

Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon is acctually "mainstream", in Norway that is ;)
Gorgoroth and Darkthrone are acctually also quite close but not quite there yet.... And i acctually would describe both Dimmu and Satyricon as extreme metal.

Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon is acctually "mainstream", in Norway that is ;)
Gorgoroth and Darkthrone are acctually also quite close but not quite there yet.... And i acctually would describe both Dimmu and Satyricon as extreme metal.
I can actually see that. I guess different music is more popular in different places, but the most extreme bands are probably not mainstream anywhere. Is rap/hip hop popular in Norway? That would be cool if it isn't.

I've heard that at least in southern Sweden (possibly Norway too) there is a lot of mainstream North American culture seeping in to the lifestyle. A couple of Swedish UM posters have mentioned this as why they live in the north, where its too cold for trendies :loco:

Is the US Dimmu Borgir is probably one of the most mainstream metal bands.

Based on what you can find in CD stores for metal I would guess these bands are the most popular.

Dimmu Borgir,In Flames,Cradle of Filth Lacuna Coil,Soilwork,etc..

If you go into a music store without a metal section they pretty much just carry these bands and some others.

I would actually agree with The Greys there. They have played at Ozzfest and are probably one of the most well known black metal bands out there.

Edit:
AstrumInfinito said:
There is definitley no store around here that carries anything more kvlt than immortal, for sure.
No Newbury Comics in your area? That's where I saw Xasthur.

I can actually see that. I guess different music is more popular in different places, but the most extreme bands are probably not mainstream anywhere. Is rap/hip hop popular in Norway? That would be cool if it isn't.

Yes rap/hip hop is acctually quite popular, so is emo.... and "goth" so no Norway is not spared those plagues..... :erk:

I think it may well be able to break. A lot of shitty metalcore stuff seems to be getting pretty mainstream, so that will most probably get people used to unorthodox vocal styles such as grunting, growling, screaming etc and also get people used to blast beats. And I see more and more "emo kids" (I hate that term) getting into grindcore bands. Who's know's what'll be popular 10 years from now...