Do you think that an extreme metal band could ever "break"

I personally find hardcore vocals (and as we all know hardcore is quite big right now) to be more "extreme" than extreme metal vocals (DM or BM), at least in the sense that they're harsher to my ears. I enjoy DM and BM vocals when they're done well, but hardcore vocals are almost always irritating to me, and seem devoid of value.

So I definitely think DM could break into the mainstream. Something like Gorguts' Obscura, no way, but something like a watered-down version of Nile (but still "extreme"), definitely.

Nile is already quite big, I saw them in Sam Goody the other day (either Sam Goody or some other big chain cd store)

Hardcore vocals are annoying because it's shouting, which is more angry sounding, and therefore more easily sellable to disgruntled teens. Death/black vocals are more monstrous/dark and also harder to understand so they're less sellable to the aformentioned teens.

I think he was more pointing out that Pantera and Lamb of God are really not that alike. I would also agree with that. Lamb of God are not nearly as bluesy as Pantera were, and are definitely up another notch in the heaviness department.

Hardcore vocals are annoying because it's shouting, which is more angry sounding, and therefore more easily sellable to disgruntled teens. Death/black vocals are more monstrous/dark and also harder to understand so they're less sellable to the aformentioned teens.

this is a fucking retarded post