Do you think we're forever?

Do you think we're forever?

• Total voters
RFT74RS.jpg

I'd like to believe in the immortality of our so-called souls. But what kind of solace would I gain from that? None.

I mean, most spiritually related ideas aim at installing a positive bigger picture to ease life's crappy moments. Let's say our souls are immortal... so what? "Ah death's not that bad, it's not like we're losing everything." Well then, our spiritual essence shall remain, but what for? This is the interesting part. To be immortal for immortality's sake? To indulge in our own greatness? To commune with other souls (something that could already be done in physical form)? With God? It leads to nothing. The only thing it would do is exalt us beyond other life forms on earth - if flora and fauna is as inferior as mankind assumes.

Probably I'm just too young and too cynical to grasp the fascination of it :)

my dying groom said:
I'd like to believe in the immortality of our so-called souls. But what kind of solace would I gain from that? None.

I mean, most spiritually related ideas aim at installing a positive bigger picture to ease life's crappy moments. Let's say our souls are immortal... so what? "Ah death's not that bad, it's not like we're losing everything." Well then, our spiritual essence shall remain, but what for? This is the interesting part. To be immortal for immortality's sake? To indulge in our own greatness? To commune with other souls (something that could already be done in physical form)? With God? It leads to nothing. The only thing it would do is exalt us beyond other life forms on earth - if flora and fauna is as inferior as mankind assumes.

Probably I'm just too young and too cynical to grasp the fascination of it :)
karma and reincarnation also imply moral standards to live up to in order to advance towards Nirvana over the course of multiple lives - it's not just a consolation for life's crappy moments, since it depends on your own behavior whether the starting circumstances in the next life will be more or less pleasant than the current one

i chose the second but i dont think souls are forever, i think spirit is immortal, and individual souls may dissolve

Alwin said:
karma and reincarnation also imply moral standards to live up to in order to advance towards Nirvana over the course of multiple lives - it's not just a consolation for life's crappy moments, since it depends on your own behavior whether the starting circumstances in the next life will be more or less pleasant than the current one
What is the difference between living up to certain moral standards to enter nirvana and living up to rules presented by some kind of god to enter heaven (or similar places for good guys)? It's a pity we need rewards to do so anyway.

What I don't like about those theories is that life becomes nothing but a trial or a stopover. I think that's a wrong approach, and it might have to do with man's megalomania. We cannot just die, we are the pride of creation.

Energy (thought patterns and such) can't be destroyed in the same way as our bodies, but at this point I don't believe that this energy is directly transferred into a newborn or drifts off towards a magnificent place, whatever it may be called.

my dying groom said:
What is the difference between living up to certain moral standards to enter nirvana and living up to rules presented by some kind of god to enter heaven (or similar places for good guys)? It's a pity we need rewards to do so anyway.
exactly this is considered morally wrong in buddism and hinduism - good work should be done, but not for the fruits of it - this attitude is to be strifed for

Alwin said:
exactly this is considered morally wrong in buddism and hinduism - good work should be done, but not for the fruits of it - this attitude is to be strifed for
Yes, a very desirable attitude.

Dont think we're forever, nothing lasts forever. Even us, we almighty human beings.

But i do think, there is something of some sort after death. I dont know if we'll be happier or we will be punish for our sins. But you know what, it really doesnt matter to me, it doesnt affect the way i behave. It just give a bit of meaning to my live.
Everybody needs a little bit of faith.

But you know, like i dont know what the hell is coming next, i will just try to use my live in the way it makes me happier. Fuck it live is to short.

Best would be if you die, and become a ghost, and can go sit on the moon sometimes, and make your mate's bird's knickers appear to have teeth and fly around the room going "ga" when he's hungover and on acid.

i was watching something on telly about this british soldier who was ambushed in malaya and shot up, then they put a carbine right up to his eye and when he thought they were gonna shoot he saw his little sister who died as a kid standing behind them. they didnt shoot o_O

but then they dragged him under his car and set it alight :tickled: