Do you think we're forever?

thats the whole fucking point... i still do like some rap... i always love old school rap.... and way way way underground rap, where the rappers actually have skills...... like they dont talk about the ghetto... nor do they talk about getting booty or their gold chains and platinum rings.... ... they hate mainstream rappers just as much as i hate mainstream NU metal bands..... so anyway.... this is boring now

Originally posted by discouraged1
Opeth fans were once into Rap????
Hahahahahaaaaaa:lol: :lol:

Hmm.. not all rap is completely trash (though I feel most of it is).

So what if they like rap? I like 311 and that has lots of different vocal styles, one of which is rap, and I have grown to like it.

Why are other people's likes/dislikes so amusing?

curiously,

Satori

My 2 cents (or 3.08 cents Cdn) If you don't like rap, by all means, mock it until the cows come home and if you've noticed trends and wish to make a generalization about people that listen to rap, as long as you're aware that those are in fact generalizations, that's fine too. But don't attack individuals on their tastes, especially not present company on this forum, it's just not necessary.

Yet another opinion,
HoserHellspawn

i'm another hardcore opeth fan with a rap background. lol. we all come crawling out of the woodwork. (for the record, i haven't heard any good rap in the last 6 years.)

actually, i agree with two different viewpoints on here. on the one hand, i think you can absolutely judge people by what music they listen to. i've said this before: If someone listens to only radio music (which is mostly crap whatever genre it's in -- rap, pop, mallmetal), then you're not a very deep or interesting person. you don't want to listen to something that challenges you. i hate it when people start that whiny PC bullshit about "stereotyping based on something as trivial as music." um, well, to me, music is NOT trivial. it's a big part of my life. and i simply don't want to be friends with people who aren't enlightened enough to appreciate it. same way that i don't hang out with republicans, whose political opinions i don't respect, or with born-again christians, whose religious opinions i don't respect. i'd be compromising my pride if i did. i just have no interest in them.

HOWEVER, i'm a bit smug in the thought that i've been exposed to every type of person possible. if i lived only surrounded by white people and grew up listening to metal, i woudln't have any right to talk trash about other people because i'd never been exposed to them. as it is, i grew up listening to rap (and still have a soft spot in my heart for old school) because whites are the minority and blacks are the majority where i live. my public school system was 85% black. so while black pop culture might piss me off, it also pisses me off when i hear white crackers from fucking alaska or somewhere talking about why black music sucks.

ok, whew, i'm done. :D

Originally posted by Despot
Hey don't say that! We have lives...every time you put on an Opeth album you experience more than those rap and pop fuckers do in their entire worthless, ignorant, full of shit, lives...
I would rather sit at home every day, and listen to Opeth & other good bands, and go out to see a show once in a while, than go out every night wearing pants that are six times my size, therefore nicely exposing my ass to the surrounding public because you know how that's "cool", and walking around as though I have a limp even though the only part of my body that's seriously fucked up is my god damn brain from constantly listening to some drug dealer singing about the life on the streets!!!
Are we forever? Hell, fucking, yes we are forever...And you know why? because we can spell the word forever without having to stop for ten minutes and think about it, and because we are inteligent enough to figure out what pants size we actually need, and because we don't refer to our friends as "dogs" and because we are not confused about our race, and because we can talk without having to move every other part of our bodies other than lips. Yes we are forever, and if not, we fucking should be!

You do have a point , inteligence in music keeps it alive . look at classical music (you know what i'm talkin about right?) all those composers were very inteligent (I think) and that music is still played everywhere today . The "good" metal (Opeth , Katatonia) will live longer because the music is very unique and well thought out .

Smart music lives .

whats wrong with liking some old school and underground rap??????? I never said it was good music because i really don't consider it music..... back in the 80s rap used to be all fun and shit.... now its pretty much gone...except for a handful of freestylers here or there that actually can sing about something other then homeboy ghettos.......... they got good rythm and good creativity..... the singer in red hot chili peppers is good at that shit.. some of his lyrics he just makes up as he goes along in the studio...... rap doesnt always = baggy pants and posers all the time..... but anyway.... i am a metalhead and my job as a metalhead is to like metal and buy metal cds and post on metal boards and have long hair and a leather jacket and a guitar... i do my job... i am allowed to like whatever else i want

First I'm going to address this guy that's been on my case since I first posted on this thread, godisanathiest... I honestly don't know what are you trying to accomplish with your lecturing; do you think that you are going to persuade me into seeing things your way, and admiting that I'm wrong...Well I'm sorry but it's not working, I don't give a flying fuck about your opinions....If I cared what you thought I would have asked you myself, and I don't recall doing that, so leave me the fuck alone.... This might be news for you, but there are people out there who think differently from you, and I'm one of them, so deal with it....I never once critisized your opinions, nor did I call them stupid, just because they are different from mine. If you like to argue why don't you go argue with somebody who gives a shit...I'll even give you a hint; go start a thread, pick a topic and people who give a shit will come and argue with you...I, however, will not, and do you know why? Because I don't give a shit...
Lina, thank you for fully understanding my views...Certain people seem to have trouble with that.
Finally, godisanathiest I am going to respond to your next post right now.....WHATEVER.

Ok, first Lina, I agree that music is very important but it a really fucking stupid way of judging people personalities, it can show you in some ways what sort of person they are, but it shouldn't be the only thing you judge them on.
And Despot FUCK YOU. I'm not lecturing u small minded piece of ignorant shit, I honestly wanted to know why you have ur opinions. I couldn't really give a flying fuck what u think, I just like arguing when I think someone's wrong. I don't do it 2 try and change u, just cos I like people (like u) who make me think.
I know u didn't ask me, but if some1 started a board saying something that u didn't disagree with I;m sure you'd go and argue with them. I know people think differently 2 me, and I respect ur views, all I'm doing is tryin 2 understand them, surprisingly I didn't actually argue to try and change the way u think. U seem way 2 pig-headed and self centred 4 me 2 do that.
I don't even think i ever said i thought ur opinions were "stupid" even if I do think they are, and neway don't try anddo that, respecting my opinions shite, I respect them, as I said before I just like arguing. You obviously do give a shit u dumn fuck or u never would have replied in the first place. I'll try ur hint, it seems like an interesting idea. But first I'm gonna say its nice there are some mature people on this board who are perfectly willing to discuss their point of view without getting insulting, just 4 the fun of it, because they like discussing stuff. Of course I'm having trouble understanding ur views, cos I totally disagree with them, but I do respect them, even if you don't belive me. I have never once told u 2 change them, just voiced my opinions about them. And thanx 4 that great response, ur intellectual level as ever, is stunnig. And I'll end this post as i started, go back 2 ur ignorant full of shit life and ...... GROW UP.
By the way Despot arguing with u is really quite fun :) Even if it does end up as a slagging match

WOW - this subject has sparked some energy.

I have always thought that judging people by the music they listen to makes no sense, as musical preference is a microcosm of the total person. When people meet/know me, they see a 41-year-old (ech) with a family, kids, a good job, blah blah blah. When they find out the music I listen too, most are stunned at first, then they get over it and I'm me again.

Second, I am impressed with the level of intellect shown by the various responses to the various posts, and I certainly hope we don't lower ourselves by letting our emotions get in the way. People can say one thing, and can be interpreted entirely different by the listener (reader). So, we "argue" our point, but that's it. We're not here to change anyone.