Do you translate titles when you upload music?

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
When uploading music to whatever music player application/portable music device/thingamabob that you use, do you translate song or album titles that are in other languages?

For my part, I typically keep the original and insert a translation in parenthesis, if there isn't one already, especially in the case of artists like Burzum whose titles are frequently very evocative.

No I don't do that. Burzum does have very evocative song titles. Good lyrics as well. Burzum just rules all the way around.

Actually, I'm usually a little apprehensive to find out the actual meanings of non-English song titles. Languages such as Swedish and Norwegian look very exotic to me but then sometimes I go to find out the meaning of some song title that's in said languages and I think it's going to be epic but it turns out to be something retarded like 'Jerking Off Satan in the Northern Frost' thus shattering all my illusions.

No, I always keep songs in the original languages the artist intended them to be in (including Norwegian titles on Burzum's Filosofem ;))

Never. In fact, I never consider translating the titles or lyrics, either. I like to preserve the mystique and cultural authenticity.

Though if it were written in Latin I would probably take a crack at it, since it's not a native language to anyone anymore.

I don't listen to much stuff that's in another language, but even if it was, it would probably be in Swedish / Danish / Norwegian, and all of those languages bear rough similarities to my language and English, both of which I recognize so I would probably already understand it a bit, so no point.

I'm disappointed that more bands don't write lyrics in their native languages. It's a shame that they have to default to English so as not to alienate the American market.

It would be nice to understand the lyrics to everything I listen to. But literal translations can't get across the same effects and impacts as the original tongue, just like when you translate books. I don't necessarily see more of a mystique in music done in another language. I just accept that I'm at a disadvantage because I can't necessarily appreciate it at the same level as someone who's fluent in whatever language is being used.

Actually Burzum is the only band I have intentionally done that with. I have the Norwegian titles followed by the English translations in parenthesis. Sometimes I will download music that will always have the titles set up like that though.

No I don't do that. Burzum does have very evocative song titles. Good lyrics as well. Burzum just rules all the way around.

Actually, I'm usually a little apprehensive to find out the actual meanings of non-English song titles. Languages such as Swedish and Norwegian look very exotic to me but then sometimes I go to find out the meaning of some song title that's in said languages and I think it's going to be epic but it turns out to be something retarded like 'Jerking Off Satan in the Northern Frost' thus shattering all my illusions.
I remember looking up the lyrics of "Det Nye Riket". Bad idea, the song went from evocative to comical.

Yeah Filosofem was the only time I had to translate the song titles. From German to Norwegian and English, and Orkish...