Dobermann

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
After dusting off Projector after a long time away from my cd player (Damage Done and TMI had taken it's place recently) I gave Dobermann a long overdue re-listen. This song never managed to impress me, mainly because of the beginning riff which I found annoying for a long time, and the lyrics in the beginning (like a ghost in daylight on an overcrowded street).

Actually concentrating on the song properly though, I really got into the lyrics and music of the mid-section with Stanne's soliloquy (I was barely aware of this part before :confused: ) and the kick-off to the main riff again. I always thought of this as an over-happy song, but the atmosphere is much deeper than that in retrospect. Ok, sorry about the rambling but I felt it was time to talk about their music again :p This song seems quite under-rated though, and mentioned less often than most tracks from Projector. Opinions (if rahvin is around, I'd really like to hear his take on the lyrics)?

I've always loved this song...to me it has an almost brittle 'happiness' about it...my impression is of someone haunted by his past, feeling absolue despair, and that noone around him can see what he is feeling, hence the 'like a ghost in daylight on an overcrowded street'. Despite an abundance of people, noone can really see this person for who or what he is...
Just my idea anyway

Possibly my favorite song off of Projector. The soliloquy in the middle impressed the hell out of me, and I do know what you mean about not realizing it was there... I actually missed it the first two times through, as I don't look at the lyrics to an album until after 2 listens just to get the atmosphere unless a song really strikes me. I found it quite a deep little section in a song that otherwise hadn't made very much sense to me. That one part tied it all together, and created a much more whole picture of the song. You've actually got me listening to it again just so I can write this correctly... its been at least 2 months since I've listened to Projector. Listening now, its a much deeper song then I ever thought... and I had thought it was one of the more meaningful songs on the album to begin with. I'm not really in the mood for a deep analysis, so I'll await rahvin's :p.

~Kovenant

I like that song a lot but I preffer other songs in Projector
but yeah it happened the same to me,I used to skip it at first and one day I was using shuffle on myu discman,heard it and tought: well this one is nice,sounds familiar but I am not sure
I heard it again and had to agree that it was a very good song

i'm not so impressed with dobermann either, and that's possibly why i never thought about its lyrics that much. imo there are some very passionate passages ("the anchor they threw at his life") but also a lot of uncertainty - during the whispered speech, for instance - as to which direction they wanted this song to go exactly. i'll try and come up with something articulate about it as soon as i have some time (next week before the show, most likely).

rahvin.

Originally posted by Dark_Jester
I've always loved this song...to me it has an almost brittle 'happiness' about it...my impression is of someone haunted by his past, feeling absolue despair, and that noone around him can see what he is feeling, hence the 'like a ghost in daylight on an overcrowded street'. Despite an abundance of people, noone can really see this person for who or what he is...
Just my idea anyway
The lyrics are about Mikael himself, about strange times he's going through sometimes when he feels the urge to hide from other people...some kind of 'asocial' behaviour.

and apparently in doing so madness pays a visit. ?

i'm guessing it something like the opposite of solitary sanity traded in for life. ??? :confused:

i'm not sure i know yet. solitude: sane or insane?

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
Problem is with Dobermann is that most of the time you only remember that riff...

... and miss the best, most intriguing part of the song. I think DT have actually written too good a riff.
i think you're right. if i had to say what i like the most in "Dobermann", i'd say the main riff, which is the thing i remember more clearly, but actually the whole song is great (one of the best in Projector, after ThereIn and Auctioned).

Miolo

Originally posted by Dark_Jester
seventi, out of curiousity, what is that on your avatar pic? To me, it seems like a slightly pissed off looking rabbit (ducks the expected blow).

Hahah, really man, I don't have a clue. Maybe it is a rabbit, altough I serioulsy doubt it. However it is a pic I took from the cover art of Coldplay's latest album

perhaps someone who has heard the 1999 P3 live version, who also understands Swedish, can tell us what is being said as Mikael intros the song? it comes right after someone with a guitar plays a little chord progression (E-G-C-D, i think? ;) ). i can't make out what he says. all i get out of it is "ok...um..." and "The Dobermannnnnnnnn!" heh :^)