Does anyone here listen to black metal?

FuSoYa said:
Man, Ulver's first 3 full-lengths used to be my favorite albums ever. I still love them a lot, but everything after that.. I have given many a good listen to and I just kind of hate them. Actually, I like the Silence.. EP but everything else is.. eh.

And it's not like I'm one of those metal fans who scorns metal bands moving towards electronica. Quite the contrary in fact. It's just that I think Garm/Trickster G's electronic dabblings are bad electronic music. :/
I know what you mean. When I first got into Ulver, I didn't listen to the first three BM albums. Just the new stuff, which I thought was pretty good. I still think the electronic stuff is pretty good, but the first three albums are just amazing.

What about Arcturus? I actually..don't like them very much. I've only really listened to The Sham Mirrors. I liked the vocals, but everything else was sorta..eh.

ulver is kinda hit and miss with the newer electronic stuff. the blake album was a really couragious concept, but they didn't pull it off IMO. I dunno who really could. The new EP stuff is dece, but almost like what Toby said, it's just mediocre electronic stuff. There's lots better in the genre.

however, being said, i think they are still working at pushing the envelope and are trying new things to distinguish themselves. the excerpts from svidd neger I heard were pretty cool and I think the future definitely has a lot of potential. I just like to see a band that's willing and able to try new concepts, even if they don't always succeed 100%.

um, I'm no expert but you might wanna check out Kid606 or some of the stuff from his Tigerbeat6 label.

the mille plateaux "Clicks and Cuts" comps are really good

Autechre is good

I like Pan Sonic and a number of their side projects, but they might be too minimal for most people.

A lot of the other more electronic stuff on Jester is actually really, really cool. Like When - "Lobster Boys"

does that help?
maybe browse the Aquarius site for samples n reviews: http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

"A Quick Fix ofMelancholy" is probably the best thing they've done in a very long time.

xoxoxo
-k-

I love all Ulver except for Nattens Madrigal, and I think Themes is by far the best thing they've done and also the best electronics related album I've heard (and for most of my teenage years, I only listened to electronic music). I don't think Ulver are bad electronics, I think they are the BEST electronics around. The only other electronics album besides Perdition City that I've liked in recent history (well, other than Ulver's eps, but I'm talking albums) is probably Beefcake - Drei. I've heard Mum's albums and I've seen them live and I just have to say that I think they are decent but abysmal vocals hold them back from being good.

But for black metal, I listen to quite a bit of it. For Arcturus, you can't listen to The Sham Mirrors and then say you don't like them as that is easily their worst album (which means it gets a 9 / 10 from me as Arcturus are a fucking astonishingly awesome band). Arcturus and Solefald are the best bands in the scene, but others such as ...and Oceans, Lux Occulta, Weakling, Manes, Void, Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, Judas Iscariot, KorovaKill, etc. have enthralled me beyond words.

Probably the best black metal (or related) albums:

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Solefald - Neonism
Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
...and Oceans - The Symmetry of I / The Circle of O
Ulver - Themes (stretching the black metal, but it's related)
KorovaKill - Waterhells

I've had it on mp3 for about 2 months now. Maybe not quite that long, but around there. And I have to say, it is indeed quite wonderful. I like the more idmish tracks, 2 and 4, more than the more symphonic ones, 1 and 3.

The only black metal thing a listen to is Cradle Of Filth (I like just some songs), Dimmu Borgir (Puritanical is great) and Dark Funeral (just the last album...The Arrival Of Satan's Empire is one of the best songs I have ever heard). Ah, I just love as well Gloomy Grim's War...fucking great song and that's all.
About Ulver...I'm more into their eletronic stuff.