Does Iced Earth still exist?

AsModEe

also known as ass-mode
Feb 13, 2004
Québec City
You don't hear much from this once successful band nowadays, and to add to the mystery, I visited their official website and the last time the "news" section was updated was on may 13th 2005... almost one year ago. So, should we conclude Iced Earth stopped existing? Schaeffer had his "Set Abominae" project but I'm starting to guess it'll never see the light of day. Jon should have not pushed all his musicians to leave the band... sigh, what an idiot.

I believe it's still together. Bobby and Tim are touring with Beyond Fear just now (supporting Anthrax) but they maintain they are still full-time IE band members.

Jon had back surgery to recieve and was taking a substantial time off. They also signed a 3/4 album deal with SPV so, my bets say: They're still around.

Although, I don't much mind if they just disappear into oblivion. :)

Tim Owens is doing Beyond Fear right now, and theoretically will be helping out with the next IE when he's done with it. But I'm pretty sure Schaffer had some kind of nervous breakdown from too many people coming into his stupid American collectables store asking if he's ever gonna play stuff from Burnt Offerings in tour.

derek said:
I like Horrorshow alot. Alive In Athens is still one of my FAVOURITE records though.
AGREED... a great number of people actually don't like horror show...I can't seem to understand why, it's probably their most musically challenging and interesting records IMO...

edit: and yes, Alive in Athens is great...although the cover is a bit deceptive, making you think it's a huge outdoor event, so that's the vibe you get when you listen to it, and come to find out it was just in a medium-sized club in Athens...not a big deal really, I guess I just always had the mental picture of a big outdoor show a la "rock in rio".

Babykabob said:
AGREED... a great number of people actually don't like horror show...I can't seem to understand why, it's probably their most musically challenging and interesting records IMO...

edit: and yes, Alive in Athens is great...although the cover is a bit deceptive, making you think it's a huge outdoor event, so that's the vibe you get when you listen to it, and come to find out it was just in a medium-sized club in Athens...not a big deal really, I guess I just always had the mental picture of a big outdoor show a la "rock in rio".
:confused: you just busted my bubble

See, I think Glorious Burden is some of their best, but it's because of the vocals. I have always had a problem with the vocals in that band until he came into the picture. Barlow has always sounded like fuckin Paul Stanley to me, anyone that questions that go listen to Melancholy and tell me that does not sound like Stanley in the chorus. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Babykabob said:
do you mean about Alive in Athens not being at a big outdoor event? it was in a club, the pics on the case of the album are of Wacken, I believe...
yup that's right, I was sure it was an outdoor event. Ah, Schaffer has his ways of making us think he's "big"

Papa Josh said:
See, I think Glorious Burden is some of their best, but it's because of the vocals. I have always had a problem with the vocals in that band until he came into the picture. Barlow has always sounded like fuckin Paul Stanley to me, anyone that questions that go listen to Melancholy and tell me that does not sound like Stanley in the chorus. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that's funny, melancholy is one of the few songs I skip on SW because they all sound the same on that album (melancholy, watching over me, blessed are you)

I like some of Horror Show, but it's not all that amazing in my opinion. Dracula is awesome but most of the other songs are only so-so. I actually prefer Something Wicked, especially the trilogy, and Alive in Athens is possibly one of the best live albums around. The Glorious Burden is really below average though, I'm sooo not a fan of Tim's vocals, Barlow was much better.

unknown said:
Supposedly, Schaffer is writing the next album entirely based off the Something Wicked trilogy.

Yeah, a Set Abominae sorta thing. I remember him saying it was going to be "epic". He also had plans for a book and a movie :erk: