Dream Theater- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS Coming June 23rd

Just listened to A Rite of Passage. Not bad but the solo, as usual, doesn't fit the song and IMO should have been left out. It's only one song, I know, but I'm expecting a mediocre album, at best.

Now listening to it. The beginning sounded like they were once again trying to be a straight up metal band; however, once the intro was done it sounded decent....ugh, just got to the solo and it does just totally not fit the rest of the song. The choruses sound decent but the intro, main riff, and solo all sound like they are trying to be straight up metal. They should stick to what they do best and stop trying to appeal to wider audience by trying to be "hardcore" or something. I am into all kinds of metal but I think DT should stop doing what they are mediocre at.

The cover reminds me more of Images & Words and Awake.

When I first saw it, I thought, "this looks a lot like 'Awake'", too.

I have Awake, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos. I favor them all in the reverse order. I don't see what's so bad about SC, except for the talking part in Repentance. I can't wait for the new CD, but I've already been disappointed twice this year, so I won't have high hopes.

I haven't heard the new song yet, but if I do soon, I will post my piece of mind.

Now listening to it. The beginning sounded like they were once again trying to be a straight up metal band; however, once the intro was done it sounded decent....ugh, just got to the solo and it does just totally not fit the rest of the song. The choruses sound decent but the intro, main riff, and solo all sound like they are trying to be straight up metal. They should stick to what they do best and stop trying to appeal to wider audience by trying to be "hardcore" or something. I am into all kinds of metal but I think DT should stop doing what they are mediocre at.

ToT is in no way shape or form mediocre. But yea go PROG!

All the songs have been leaked...Not a Proper leak but still...

I'll review each song by a number

A Nightmare To Remember - 8/10
The Right Of Passage - 7/10
Wither - 9/10
The Shattered Fortress - 8.5/10
The Count of Tuscany - 10/10 - Also one of my favorite Dream Theater songs ever...Just Amazing song.

Best of Times - Haven't heard yet.

TOT is good but not great

A Nightmare to Remember - ??
Haven't heard.

Wither - 7/10
Nice verses, boring chorus. This is the kind of gay singing LaBrie does well. One of the better songs.

The Shattered Fortress - 6/10
ZzzzZzzz, sounds like something boring from ToT.

The Best of Times - 6.5/10
Nice acoustic intro with piano and some orchestrations. The violin or what the fuck sounds like a fucking grass cutter though.
The rest of the song seems to be a homage to Rush or something. Not bad.

The Count of Tuscany - 3/10
First instrumental 4 minutes seem to be a cut and paste of a lot of shit they thought sounded cool. Lyrics are a little silly. Mike Portnoy does the "talk sing" shit, -3 points solely because of that. Horrible chorus.
The Count of Tuscany (last 10 minutes) - 7/10
Song shapes up, Portnoy shuts the hell up, everything is well.

A Rite of Passage - 6.5/10
Nice chorus, for once. There's a little vocals from Portnoy so -1.5.

The Intro is amazing to TCOT what are you smoking...And yeah the ending is fucking Epic. Wtf kind of review just cuz Portnoy sings you give negatives? I swear people are so critical. He doesn't ruin anything.

Finally heard The Best of Times - Really cool song...I didn't like it as much at first but It's a sweet kind of song.

the Portnoy vocals are pretty damn minimal honestly. I dont care for them but they certainly dont ruin any of the songs.

The Count of Tuscany is so fucking amazing! I dont get how a song can be so cheesy yet so moving at the same time. It seriously is a beautiful piece of music! The whole album is pretty damn solid honestly. I thought Systematic Chaos was one of their worst albums so this is very refreshing!

"The Shattered Fortress" is amazing piece of crap! I know the concept behind the song (part of the "AA saga" to keep Portnoy sober blah blah blah) but it doesn`t justify its musical horribleness. It`s terrible!!!

Otherwise the album is OK but brings nothing new to the table.

I think the Shattered Fortress is pretty sweet. I like the way they worked with all the old parts and re arranged them to make them sound familiar yet different enough to keep it interesting. My only problem with TSF is that some of the transitions seem a bit forced but maybe it will seem less that way the more used to the song I get.

I like the album. Track 5 slows down the pace a bit too much, but overall I think I'll end up liking it better than Systematic Chaos.

The 6 cover tracks on disc 2 of the 3-disk Special Edition:

1. Stargazer - Rainbow
2. Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley - Queen
3. Odyssey - Dixie Dregs
4. Take Your Fingers From My Hair - Zebra
5. Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part 2 - King Crimson
6. To Tame A Land - Iron Maiden