Dream Theater - Octavarium

I honestly can't stop listening to Octavarium. I think I like The Root Of All Evil, These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Panic Attack, and Octavarium the most. The only song that has yet to grow on me is Never Enough. The intro riff is cool, but then it just goes downhill.

^I'm listening to this song at the moment. To me it seems like a fictional story about a musician who becomes a prisoner of his music:"trapped inside this octavarium" The spoken word passage near the end seems to have a lot of rage directed towards some farewhether fans, 'train all you like while they're begging for more' i think was one of the lines.

MorphineChild205 said:
I honestly can't stop listening to Octavarium. I think I like The Root Of All Evil, These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Panic Attack, and Octavarium the most. The only song that has yet to grow on me is Never Enough. The intro riff is cool, but then it just goes downhill.

exactly the way i feel. It's the only song that hasn't clicked....i just think they took the influences too far on it. The instrumental part is fairly cool though.

funny i love nerver enough i think its great. and i know its accused of being a muse ripoff. tho i never heard them. to me it sounds like james is kinda singing like a male gwen stefani . and to me the music still sounds like something from ToT mixed with 6 degrees.
i really dont care about this sounds like that sorta thing. every band copies someone elses style to a point. so its all about the way its used i guess. and im not sure what octavarium is about. maybe its a sequal to six degrees? lol

Yes, the song is good.....but it's a complete ripoff. Dream Theater always have an element of "being influenced by" some band or another. But just listen to "Stockholm Syndrone" by Muse. That vocal style.....it's there, they're so similar it has to be a ripoff.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Yes, the song is good.....but it's a complete ripoff. Dream Theater always have an element of "being influenced by" some band or another. But just listen to "Stockholm Syndrone" by Muse. That vocal style.....it's there, they're so similar it has to be a ripoff.

Oh god... besides the vocal effect (wich has been used a zillion times by bands other than Muse) they sound nothing alike. I think you are just really trying to look for something to say you hate it. Dude... we get it, no need to go on BS to prove it to yourself.

I think Rudess may have let me down even more than Petrucci on this album. I don't know what I expected from Petrucci, but I certainly expected better from Rudess.

And I think shutting down the forums was the right thing to do. I thought it was rather obnoxious that they disallowed discussion.....because people are going to discuss it regardless. So the simple thing is, if you don't want people to discuss, then shut down the forum, don't start some stupid ban policy.

Jordan Rudess is an amazing musician by any account.

And honestly I feel that playing with DT holds him back, only because I just remember like how care-free and awesome he sounded on the LTE records, and more importantly just how awesome an uninhibited his performances are on his solo albums, and the Rudess/Morgenstein Project. He's a hell of a creative force, and I think his music speaks for itself in saying that he does best on his own. Now if only he'd change that damn chainsaw lead patch lol

In all seriousness, Rudess is fine musician/pirate.

I'll have to pick up his latest solo album. I feel exactly the same way about Petrucci. His playing in Liquid Tension Experiment was awesome. Some of my favorite guitar tone, playing that's perfect in terms of not being too shreddy and not being too boring. They were perfect together as a group, and then ever since then it seems like they've been getting more an more confined as musicians in Dream Theater.....holding more and more back, painting themselves into a corner. I really love Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, but you can see it starting to happen there.

It seems like everyone here just forgot what the word "progressive" means. You cant claim prog as being a certain type of sound or whatever because then all you have is one giant oxymoron. Prog has always been about going in new directions and moving forward by trying new things musically. You guys throw arond the word"progressive" like its a defined style or something. Dream theater has obviously progressed, taking new directions each time they make a new album. It's also bullshit to say they've regressed. If if progress was something that could be measured and there was actually some sort of grading rubric for the quality of music..........then such statements could possibly be made. Music however can only be judged by pure opinion...........there is no way to prove that a certain type of music is good or bad. You guys are neglecting the fact that music is an art, not a science.

You guys just really need to grow up.

As I said somewhere else, I think real progressive is progressing music. If any band that altered their sound was called a progressive band, then there would be many more. And making radio rock sounding songs isn't really something new for Dream Theater anyway.

As I said, the progressive song here is the title track.

I know what progressive is......if you want real progressive, go get the new Ulver album, go get the new Solefald album, go get the new Arcturus album, etc. Those are bands doing new things for music.

I just heard Panic Attack and I have to say.................................................................. :OMG:

im buying 8vm at the strike of midnight........

wayne the goblin/robot said:
I just heard Panic Attack and I have to say.................................................................. :OMG:

im buying 8vm at the strike of midnight........

Hah, nice. But where could I get it at the strike of midnight???