Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Hey, wait a minute. I just heard This Dying Soul, and actually liked it alot. Other than the rapping part, that is. This is definatly the best out of the three ToT tracks Ive heard, the pretty bad As I Am and the horrid Endless Sacrifice.

I just heard This Dying Soul, here are my first impressions...the instrumental parts and the opening verse are great, the heaviness does benefit the song for the most part, and the chorus is good as well...but those nu-metallisms in the vocals, especially the second verse...ugh.

SSJ4SephirothX said:
I heard this thing that would play a song then something from ToT and switch back and forth between different songs/parts to show the 'rip offs' that was made on ToT. Some included a couple Metallica songs, Britney Spears and older DT stuff. Who fucking cares!! I could care less if they ripped off those songs or not

This, I'm afraid, is what gets to me the most from this album. Nu metal, fine whatever. Wanking left and right, ok, do it if you must. But I just could not tolerate the sheer amount of rip offs of other bands on this album. And the sad thing is, while bands like Adagio, for example, get slagged for sounding only slightly similar to *one* of their influences, a band like Dream Theater can get away with blatantly stealing from many bands, and no one says a word, because its Dream Theater. Why?

since this album was supposed to be a "classic metal" sounding one, I think DT didn't "rip-off" anyone with the intention of stealing riffs from anyone. I think it was more the case of DT giving credits to their favorite 80's metal artists, who inspired them to make this album.

Call me a dumbass if you will, but this is my view on it.

Hellholming said:
since this album was supposed to be a "classic metal" sounding one, I think DT didn't "rip-off" anyone with the intention of stealing riffs from anyone. I think it was more the case of DT giving credits to their favorite 80's metal artists, who inspired them to make this album.

Call me a dumbass if you will, but this is my view on it.

Oh come on man, you cant listen to that part in This Dying Soul and tell me it isnt a BLATANT rip from Blackened by Metallica, or the intro of Endless Sacrifice and tell me its not ripping off Sanitarum. Or the sections like the end of Endless Sacrifice or end of In the Name of God which is really like Maiden. Thats what I mean, when Adagio sorta sounds like Symphony X, they're ripping them off. When Dream Theater sounds A LOT like Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath, numetal, etc they're "paying tribute." :rolleyes:

yeah, that "Blackened" part was the first thing I noticed.

Besides, I have never HEARD Adagio, I never claimed they ripped SyX off, I heard it from people who had heard them, and I simply wondered if it's true.

Hellholming said:
yeah, that "Blackened" part was the first thing I noticed.

Besides, I have never HEARD Adagio, I never claimed they ripped SyX off, I heard it from people who had heard them, and I simply wondered if it's true.

oh I wasn't meaning you specifically about Adagio (actually I forgot you posted that lol) I'm just saying people have said that about Adagio.

Demonspell said:
I just heard This Dying Soul, here are my first impressions...the instrumental parts and the opening verse are great, the heaviness does benefit the song for the most part, and the chorus is good as well...but those nu-metallisms in the vocals, especially the second verse...ugh.
my exact thoughts. And the Blaintent Blackened rippoff alsois pretty low, but other that, i quite liked it.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that we are criticizing DT for blatantly ripping off bands/people on a Symphony X board? :tickled: ;)

:puts on flame deflecting vest:

At this point I'd have to say that Endless Sacrifice is the best song. It seems to have the best flow and take on a life of its own, enough to make you actually drop what you're doing and take notice. Stream of Consciousness is slightly better, but I'm still waiting to see if In The Name of God grows on me. I'd call it a decent enough album.

Let me just say that I haven't heard one note off the new album (not even As I Am), but some (not all) of you complaining about it sounding "nu metal" seem to be really close minded. Nu metal is a genre of music, just like Prog or Pop or Rap or Metal. Like any genre of music, some of its good, some of its bad. Instead of criticizing it by saying it steals too much from one genre, criticize it because you dont like the way it SOUNDS, regardless of what the influences are. I don't hate Symphony X bacause they steal orchestrations! Its all context. From what I've heard, DT have taken numetal elements and put it in a different, hopefully better context.....just like how symphony x have taken classical orchestrations from hundreds of years ago and put them in a different context.......

HomerSimpson said:
Am I the only one that finds it ironic that we are criticizing DT for blatantly ripping off bands/people on a Symphony X board? :tickled: ;)

Um, yes, if you are insinuating SyX have plagerised bands the way DT has done on this album. Still yes if you're insinuating SyX has taken parts from classical music. Because classical music is hundreds of years old at this point, and is public domain. Its a very different situation. Plus they aren't trying to pass it off as their own. I talked to Romeo about it once and it seems he thinks these things should be apparent to us (about lacrymosa in Death of Balance - "yeah well, I thought everyone's heard Mozart's Lacrymosa")

I found a link to a site that had the entire album up for download. Though i've never liked DT, i figured that i'd check it out (i enjoy LTE and Ruddess' solo album). To me, this is a pretty sub-standard collection of songs. I've never liked labrie's voice, but even the music is mediocre at best. Just a bunch of down-tuned, repetitive riffs (why are people so excited that the band is now tuned to C? Great! Now the notes are indecipherable!).

As i said, i own and really enjoy the LTE albums, so i was planning on being able to at least enjoy the music of the new DT album. However, it seems like the guys really dumbed down their sound for some reason.

Disappointing.

DT doesn't even have their own identity or sound anymore... and they can't write a song that means anything... They haven't come out with a truly great album in 10 years!

6DOIT was a mess... and had blatant ripoffs all over the place... of course, the DT apologists might prefer to call them "tributes"... I haven't heard anything from the new album besides that radio edit... and I don't really want to...

ProgMetalFan said:
6DOIT was a mess... and had blatant ripoffs all over the place... of course, the DT apologists might prefer to call them "tributes"...

I've been listening to 6DOIT a lot lately (disc 1), and I love it! However, I see what you're saying about the ripoffs (particularly the Tool ripoff in The Great Debate), but how are Blind Faith, Misunderstood and Disappear ripoffs of anyone?

Velocity said:
:guh: They're not morons you fool...... Don't say thing like that, I guess you've not heard the album! I think you're the one in this forum that is easiest influenced and trust others...... Wait until YOU hve heard the album! :Smug:

Dude, you`ve got to stop taking all my posts so seriosely, and what do you mean by easily influenced? Speak ENGLISH if you understood what i was writing, the reason i wrote "...those morons..." was because it sems that on THIS PARTICULAR album they seem to concentrate more on playing music that sound similar to other bands than to write something in their own style, and because this DOES sound like a bad album! Plus, trust others? I don`t take ANYTHING for granted, even if MJR had said the new Ayreon album was great, i wouldn`t go nuts in sheer excitement(Although i would have looked forward to it), but alot . On the contrary, i have heard some music from what`s on the new DT album, and from what i`ve heard, it`s not good at all, i`ve also heard they got rapping on this cd, does this sound promising? :Smug:

And yes, I will be buying the album
:D

Man, I downloaded this album (don't attack, buying the CD Thursday) and it is just killer. I actually LIKE the rap part in This Dying Soul, the way Labrie delivers it is so damn powerful.
The lyrics are great too, very tormented and dark at points, especially on Honor Thy Father. Overall though, listening to this CD gave me the chills, and I haven't felt like that from music in a long time.