Dream Theater - Train of Thought

and the solo for endless sacrifice even has arpeggios/ sweep picking!

Everyone is saying Endless Sacrifice is the worst song ever, i personally love it. The dynamics are great, the solos are great , and as far as the "nu-metal" chorus, i think it sounds awesome. It just shows the different elements they can fit in their music. I definitely reccomend buying the album.

I only have 1 complaint:
The packaging kinda sucks.

OK ... got the new CD today, had already hears As i am, and was like ... OK at least its not Kevin Shriley Dream Theater Copmmercial Crap....

By the time i got to the 3rd song my jaw was on the floor.... Definitly their Heavies Venture to date, Everyone went out on a limb on this album, I also like the fact that rudess decidd to play LESS and let the GUITARS carry the tunes.

As far as the guitar solos. The arpeggios in My Dying Soul were a surprise, The Vai;ish harmonies were cool, But What happened to FEELING. I doint think i heard more than 3 or 4 string bends (In SOLOS) on the whole album ... lol

Think about it, Images and Words - Under A Glass Moon The solo was AWSOME .. Feeling Speed, A melody ... everything you could ever want in a solo. That solo sigle handedly made me a trucci fan.

Now its like the guy cant play fast enough, its all alternat picking crazy chromatic steve morse regurgitated licks. Come on John ... you WERE The man ... What happened...

Feel free to e-mail me and slander me for this .... ha ha hah a
guitarguru777@guitarguru777.com

Romeo is still the man.. he never dissaponts me

A few DT fans are bitching about the heavier edge to TOT! After about 4 listens, I think it is one of the best albums they've done, along with all of their other ones:) If people are expecting Images and Words, they'll be disappointed.

As for me, good job DT!

Grey-Skies said:
Is there really rapping...that's pretty bad! If I was ever planning on buying it I...I won't now. Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, and now...Dream theater? :ill:

After listening to the album many times, there is no comparison with the bands above. The rapping is ever so brief. James Labrie sings terrific on this one, and the instrumental breaks in each song make it worth buying alone. Give it a chance, it will really grow on you.

ShredManWalking said:
Hey guys, has anyone gotten "Train of Thought" yet? Reviews on Amazon.com and many other places have said the album is great. I would like some feedback from some people who have gotten the album.

Thanks!
Some are complaining, but man, after 3 or 4 listens you will be addicted! I was listening to it this morning and I couldn't stop playing air guitar and head banging! Endless Sacrifice has a great instrumental break. I HIGHLY recommend it! If you don't jump for joy at first, give it a few more listens and you will!

Airgeetar_freak said:
A few DT fans are bitching about the heavier edge to TOT! After about 4 listens, I think it is one of the best albums they've done, along with all of their other ones:) If people are expecting Images and Words, they'll be disappointed.

As for me, good job DT!

I agree with you so much! :wave: The album is "just like you describe" it rocks. Of course, no new Images and Words release, but still a great album.
And i mean it, it's not nu-metal(!), it's a crime to blame Dream Theater being nu-metalish! :Smug: And I have to say, Mike Portnoy does an fantastic job on this album, his drumming is absolutely the best! (yes, im a drummer) :Shedevil:

Buy the cd you all, dont get scared of the "rap" :p

Hi,

my opinion about the new album:

I am a bit disappointed that it is not much different from "6 Degrees..." With their previous albums they were able to create something new with each single album. To me, this is "just" "6 Degrees... Part 2".

Of course it's still an instrumental masterpiece, and it's still better than "Falling Into Infinity", and I like their way of not concentrating on writing epical songs but when I had to decide between the two latest albums, I'd say I prefer "6 Degrees...". If Metallica made this album they would return to where they once belonged... DT could have done better
smile.gif

My favourite album was, is and ever will be "Scenes From A Memory" - this just can't be topped (except from DT of course).

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I think the chorus rocks! Sure, it may sound a little nu-metal-ish, but the rest of the song makes up for it.

Lord Of The Snow said:
If Metallica made this album they would return to where they once belonged... DT could have done better
smile.gif
Metallica could NEVER write this album. Not even when they were a decent band. ToT is also not 6 degrees pt II. Song writing is much different. Only tracks that sorta sound like ToT tracks on 6 degrees are The Glass Prison, The Great Debate and The Test that Stumped Them All.

6 Degrees SUCKED!!! I think that the new album is better... but DT needs to go both heavy and really proggy. I just think they need to keep it nice and heavy, and have a lot more Keyboards. I think Jordan is sleeping at his keyboard... But I think their best CD was When Dream and Day Unite...

Guardian of Fire

Guardian of Fire said:
6 Degrees SUCKED!!! I think that the new album is better... but DT needs to go both heavy and really proggy. I just think they need to keep it nice and heavy, and have a lot more Keyboards. I think Jordan is sleeping at his keyboard... But I think their best CD was When Dream and Day Unite...

Wow. That opinion surely is...different...

I like As I Am
I like This Dying Soul up until the last few minutes which IMO is just insanely boring
I like Endless Sacrifice
and the other songs I haven't listened to completely yet

I'm seeing some people on some boards saying Jordan is amazing on this album? From what I've heard he's barely on the album at all compared to the last few albums. Petrucci's solos at times can just become pointless but that's not always the case IMO. I love the solos in This Dying Soul and Endless Sacrifice. I thought Labrie did pretty well on this album, the Dave Mustaine voice in This Dying Soul was quite entertaining :tickled:

Back a few pages ago people were saying the intro to a song sounded like sanitarium,,,

I disagree, have you ever heard that song "dracula" by iced earth. My ear says its a much closer match,,,oh well.

The new album is way too heavy and similar to Opeth's Deliverance. The songs are overly long and probably could use some editing. I was hoping for some OSI-like heaviness on this, but without Kevin Moore that's certainly hard to achieve. This Dying Soul is probably the most telling track. James' vocals are timed the exact same way in Tool style. That's not to say that DT hasn't done this before, Home and Great Debate being the other tracks.

on earlier albums petrucci plays high level composed guitar soli, but here are only malmsteen soli (malmsteen soli was good until odyssee). it is only fast, but not really good.

one thing of this album is positive. you can here a powerful bass. it is more in front. a band must have good bass. i mean on t.o.t. only the sound. good bass playing is on when dream and day unite and awake.

I just bought it today. I didn't even have to listen to it a few times and I already really like it. I do think the packaging sucks tho. The booklet looks and feels like it was photocopied, I thought I bought a pirated CD for a sec there. And the CDkey thing doesn't work either.

Rediscovery (Part II) said:
I like As I Am
I like This Dying Soul up until the last few minutes which IMO is just insanely boring
I like Endless Sacrifice
and the other songs I haven't listened to completely yet

I'm seeing some people on some boards saying Jordan is amazing on this album? From what I've heard he's barely on the album at all compared to the last few albums. Petrucci's solos at times can just become pointless but that's not always the case IMO. I love the solos in This Dying Soul and Endless Sacrifice. I thought Labrie did pretty well on this album, the Dave Mustaine voice in This Dying Soul was quite entertaining :tickled:
I noticed that part too, James is starting to mutate! :OMG: