Drums or guitar?

try both of them out, also try bass and keyboard and see what you feel most comfortable doing!

Are you a banger, a plucker, a picker, or what?

give it all the times it needs.

Spend a few hours in a music shop and test the waters man!

keyboards are, the majority of the time: homo-phagist...and for the bass, we don't hear them in death metal songs..

I don't pay attention of bass haha

and yes, keyboards are homo... I listen to good death metal :p

peace

i love you :lol:

if you were a man, you would be:
nathan.jpg

your big so you can be gene holgan.

you're*

so big*

you could*

Gene Hoglan*

Although if you want to compose actual songs, it'd be quite hard just knowing how to play rythms.

That's why learn both. Id want to master Bass,Guitar,Keyboard,Drums properly :lol: For now ill just train and suck on guitar! Bass is the most physical instrument after drums id say.

I don't pay attention of bass haha

and yes, keyboards are homo... I listen to good death metal :p

peace

1) Deathcore isnt good death metal.
2) In good death metal, we can hear the bass and it pwns.
3) Keyboard is far from being homo. And piano is teh best.

(BTW this is some Vital Remains)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say learn the drums ! but yeah obviously if you wanna compose some stuff eventually you'll have to learn some musical theory....and with a piano or keyboard it gets easy to visualise all the scales and chords. I've been playing drums for 10 years now and that's why I say drums is THE instrument but ....don't rely on what I say :p and I dont see why keyboard would be homo wtf ?!?

That is what practice is for :lol: Speaking of which, my buddy bought a drum set a few weeks ago and is already VERY good (he is also a guitarist). I honestly think learning how to play two or more instruments benefits a lot; you ability to play/coordination and your understanding of music.

Maybe:p But untill like half a year ago (I had to quit lessons because of college and financial problems:(), I had an awesome drumteacher, and he kept telling me he had some really crappy pupils who just COULDN'T learn anything:p The difference between guitars and drums though, is that you don't usually need your legs to play guitar. Neither do your arms have to move to all kind of directions (yes I know, you have to move to different frets blabla, but that's kind of less... movement:p). In the years I have been playing drums I've tried to teach many friends some rythms, but most of them couldn't even play things as simple as *bass* *snare* *bass* *snare*.... something I played straight away the first time I ever had drumsticks in my hands.

You're right about learning 2 or more instruments though, I've learned how to play many (drums,guitar,piano,flute etc etc) instruments, and it definitely has its benefits.

Yeah true ! some people have it easier on an instrument. to the thread starter : that's what you should focus on. try to concentrate on the instrument you like the most sure but also the one you feel comfortable on and the one that's easier for you to play.

yeah agreed ! I find it's a very important part of death metal nowadays. I mean, I just hate those bands like cannibal corpse where they just growl and play unintersting riffs, melodically speaking. Fast for the sake of playing fast is anti-musical IMO. And keyboards add a clear melody

Agreed mede-laaglander!:kickass:

Pff, ik woon nog altijd boven zee-niveau:p

yeah agreed ! I find it's a very important part of death metal nowadays. I mean, I just hate those bands like cannibal corpse where they just growl and play unintersting riffs, melodically speaking. Fast for the sake of playing fast is anti-musical IMO. And keyboards add a clear melody

Hmm.... I might just be too open-minded musically, but I sometimes LOVE fast-for-the-sake-of-playing-fast:p Cannibal Corpse isn't like that though, if you ask me. You should give Last Days Of Humanity a listen:loco:

I'd say drums, because I'm a drummer myself. I started playing guitar first, but quit ever two weeks 'cause it simply wasn't for me and it still isn't.

Before choosing, I'd suggest you first find out what you like most and don't buy a new guitar/drum kit. Buy a cheep one to see whether you like both instruments or not and if you choose one of the two, buy a better 'version' of that instrument.
I don't know, but that seems best to me :)

haha yeah I know them....do you know the band Origin ? they play fucking fast but the guitar and bass lines are really clean. I know Cannibal Corpse and Origin aren't in the same league lol but CC is all muddy and sloppy, at least for me and that's what I really dislike. It's like if they tried to play fast but only shit came out cuz they were not good enough to play at those tempos haha anyways. So yeah I really like fast-for-the-sake-of-playing-fast, as long as it's well played :p

Death Metal is all about bass, so seriously. I have no idea what Rocksane is smoking :lol:

Just listen to some real Death Metal to understand what i mean. Not some Deathcore shit.

Last edited by a moderator: