cuztom guitar - which wood? RR or SV body shape?

Elysian893 said:
its your guitar, you do it how you want. i just personally would stick with the Rhoads, as the esp v has some very poor features, like the neck joint for 1...

yeah thats what i meant... tell me more about advantages/disadvantages please!
edit: my favourite would be still RR ... slight bit bigger (like esp), with a cutout

AlexiLiimatainen said:
Elysian, how many ESP Alexi sigs or even SV's have you played? I'm just curious what basis you're using to judge them. I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I doubt you've played one as they're pretty rare in the U.S.
i haven't played one, but i do have eyes enough to see that the neck joint is a poor design compared to the Rhoads V's joint, and i am not too blind to see that the cutaway is no better than not having it on a 24 fret Rhoads V. i also know of esp's neck builds, and that jackson makes a much nicer neck. based on my knowledge of esp and jackson, i would readily recommend a Rhoads V over an SV or omgalexi sig. it isn't rocket science, its just my observations and educated opinion. also, emg hz suck balls no matter who's guitar they are in.

@Elysian893
I am n00b in guitar knowledge, so I am asking you as some who seams to know what he talk about.
if you take your guitar with the x2n in it and plug in directly to your amp and turn the volume full, do you have noise, harsh sound ?
I am asking in because I really don’t trust passive pickups, they sound awesome and have the flavor of wood unlike active though they pick to much noise and when you shape your sound with distortion (first gain boost in the chain) you get all that noise straight in the face, its one of the reasons why I prefer active pickups they have hell less of that problem

FallingDownInRuins said:
@Elysian893
I am n00b in guitar knowledge, so I am asking you as some who seams to know what he talk about.
if you take your guitar with the x2n in it and plug in directly to your amp and turn the volume full, do you have noise, harsh sound ?
I am asking in because I really don’t trust passive pickups, they sound awesome and have the flavor of wood unlike active though they pick to much noise and when you shape your sound with distortion (first gain boost in the chain) you get all that noise straight in the face, its one of the reasons why I prefer active pickups they have hell less of that problem
get a noise gate. any pickup will pick up interference if its there, actives don't magically fix that.

Elysian893 said:
get a noise gate. any pickup will pick up interference if its there, actives don't magically fix that.
Actually, that was the reason humbuckers were first invented.
But the coils can't be perfectly matched so some hum will always get through.
But if a humbucker has a weak magnet, it picks up less interference, enough that it doesn't show up when preamplified

its true but still i prefer the one that has less. all this equipment change and add flavor to the sound, and some times even make it sterile...
less equipment you have in your chain it better it sounds,
or you've got lot of money and able to buy all the true high end stuff
which most of us not

in bass pickups it slightly different the passive one are fine as well just that they aren't that "hot" comparing to active, and if you want to get some tone out of it you got to use active preamp

hmm nobody can explain me the differences between sv and rr body? (except the cutaway)

ones made by esp the other by jackson? if its alder body with maple neck through construction theres not going to be a ton of differences tone wise... the esp is just a little bigger, with a cutaway, and the top part opposite of the cutaway is squared for some godawful reason. and an inferior neck joint.

thanks.. ok if thats all.. i think i'll choose a little bigger (smaller than sv) RR with a slight cutaway :hotjump:

maybe you should try to get a Jackson RR body and give it a cutaway, if thats even possible, im not sure! But that would definately help with the high-fret access as well as give you the 'look' that you like

K-z-H said:
maybe you should try to get a Jackson RR body and give it a cutaway, if thats even possible, im not sure! But that would definately help with the high-fret access as well as give you the 'look' that you like
i don't have an issue accessing the high frets on my Rhoads V, though its a 22 fret, if you've seen some of the 24 fret Rhoads V's out there, its not an issue on them either...

Elysian893 said:
i don't have an issue accessing the high frets on my Rhoads V, though its a 22 fret, if you've seen some of the 24 fret Rhoads V's out there, its not an issue on them either...

well i have SEEN them, but unfortunately never PLAYED one, so i dont know how the access is up there cuz to me atleast it seems like there is a lot of wood between the fretboard and the end, but i could be wrong and i guess since you have used it you would know.

its been a long time since i've played a bolt on version, well besides the JS30's, those didn't seem to have as easy of access as the neck through's, the neck joint on the neck through's is really comfortable, and hitting those upper frets is real easy as its not obtrusive.

on another note, i just pretended i had 24 frets on my rhoads V, and it still felt easy :lol:

to anyone with some knowledge of guitar: these are the specs of a guitar i could buy. What do you think?

Alder body
Reversed Headstock
Maple neck
Bolt-on
22 frets
Shark Fin inlay's
Rosewood fretboard
DiMarzio ToneZone bridge
DiMarzio Breed neck
Kahler Spyder Tremelo brug

:lol: thanks for the extra effort!

also, while on the topic of neck-thru and bolt on, do all neck-thrus have a painted neck? i see that you got rid of the paint on ure rr's neck on ure site and alexi doesnt have a painted neck on his ESP v's, but both my friends ESP's are neck-thru's and have painted necks...

also, do painted necks significantly affect the playability or is it just me?

thats a good tremelo, but hard to come by anymore... i'd personally recommend an ibanez lo pro edge, its the most comfortable tremelo i've ever used(finally got one when i bought my universe, i'm a convert), and it has some pretty advanced features compared to say an OFR... i'm not exactly sure the specs of the spyder, i know they came on the HM Strat back in the day, i only did a quick google search to see if it was what i was thinking of... a tonezone isn't a bad pickup, depends on what you are going for though, if you were going for more of a metal sound i'd recommend an evolution, or if you want an almost active sound out of a passive then an x2n... really though, depends on the tone you want to get, but alder with a maple neck is going to have a pretty bright yet still middy tone