DT vs Opeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
UndoControl said:
Why the flying fuck does every single Opeth fan come to this board to state their opinions instead of staying in happy Opethland and doing it over there?

I feel like a Zerg-infested colony on the outskirts of Chau Sara.

umm because we like Dt too.. i didn't know we could only limit ourselves to one board.. jackass

opethXisXlove916 said:
umm because we like Dt too.. i didn't know we could only limit ourselves to one board.. jackass
No. You can post on every board you want to post on. Nobody's holding you back. It's just that DT's board seems to be the second-favorite place of Opeth fans (and in some cases even the favorite).

UndoControl said:
No. You can post on every board you want to post on. Nobody's holding you back. It's just that DT's board seems to be the second-favorite place of Opeth fans (and in some cases even the favorite).

then why did you say
"Why the flying fuck does every single Opeth fan come to this board to state their opinions instead of staying in happy Opethland and doing it over there?"

uhhh i was being sarcastic about the whole "i didn't know we were only allowed to post on one board"
but yea
okay
bye

Um... yea. I know you were being sarcastic. I never assumed you thought you could only post on one board. I'm not that stupid.

I'm not going to explain to you why i said that. If you can't figure it out by yourself, i'm sorry.

well, when you post in the opeth forums that dt rules then they start saying opeth pwns them, and that if i like dt so much i should just post over here.same with any band you even insinuate you might like better than opeth.
so when you talk like that, it kind of resembles that behavior to me. i understand your frustration though.

pd sorry for double post

opethXisXlove916 said:
uhhh i was being sarcastic about the whole "i didn't know we were only allowed to post on one board"

of course. because if you had actually known that you were only allowed to post on one board you wouldn't have posted here in the first place. unfortunately, it's like this, on ultimatemetal. try as you might, you end up banned or worse if you post on more than one single forum. bribing doesn't work either. we apologize for the inconvenience, though.

They're my favorite death metal bands, and probably the two bands that I listen to most frequently.

I think Opeth has more near-perfect albums (6 against Dark Tranquillity's 4), but I think at this time both bands are working on comparable levels of excellence and consistency.

I'd like to hope that most of the Opeth fans go to DT forums (and vice versa) do so because they like both bands, and not because they want to launch petty flame wars.

rammpeth said:
well, when you post in the opeth forums that dt rules then they start saying opeth pwns them, and that if i like dt so much i should just post over here.same with any band you even insinuate you might like better than opeth.
so when you talk like that, it kind of resembles that behavior to me. i understand your frustration though.
The only difference is that i've never posted on Opeth's board (unless i've posted in some non-Opeth-related thread which was there, in which case i never even mentioned DT).

Mad Poet said:
I'd like to hope that most of the Opeth fans go to DT forums (and vice versa) do so because they like both bands, and not because they want to launch petty flame wars.
Want to know why they come? I won't lie. I don't know about all Opeth fans, but those who have stated their reasons for coming have all independently said that they came here because Opeth's board was devolving into a stupid poll-infested board full of OMGOPETHRULZ!!11ONE posts.

thise whole thread is pointless, it's like fighting over who is stronger Batman or Plasticman and i'm really surprised that threads like this get so many posts:err:

It seems whether or not I like Opeth is irrelevant to this thread now.

As for UndoControl behaving sort of territorial... come on, it's a free place, Opeth fans are entitled to defend the band they like if they see a subject of this kind.

It seems every forum follows exactly the same type of pattern... new people join, they start getting comfortable with each other (the "golden age" of the forum for them) and with the previous inhabitants. Then other new posters arrive and these new posters don't satisfy the people from the golden age. People from the golden age complain about how things used to be better back in the old days with good intelligent discussions. Half of the people from the olden age stop posting. The other half gets used to the new posters.

Repeat cycle.

i like both, i try not comparing the two, to me it's like they have completely different approaches to metal. i mean, to me dt sounds like if you like black metal alot, you might like dt. if you like more classic style metal and death metl, you tend to like opeth. i like both and neither of my statements make a bit of sense now that i say i'm not a black metal fan.

Anyway, back to Opeth. I always wanted somebody to explain me what's the bloody point of their music.

I mean, take bands that write long songs. Neurosis creates a thick dense continous wall of sound; My Dying Bride establishes a mood and explores it all through; Lacrimosa uses a crescendo structure, creates tension; Green Carnation goes for different moments and has a conceptual cohesion.

But Opeth? I mean, yeah, it's got the mood, the distinctive sound, even a few interesting lyrical concepts to work with... but I just don't feel they ever achieve much musicwise. It totally lacks variety, it's all unremarkable and messy. One song ends, another begins, and it's more of the same. Riff after riff after riff with no cohesion whatsoever. Sure, also the more tranquil acoustic moments are quite pretty and cool, but they feel like mere ornamentation. They're pretty and that's it. It's difficult to connect with something like that, at least for me.

I don't know what makes this band so appealing for that much people. I suppose it must be the mixture of elements, or the tasteful nature it's all put together. I can't deny they have originality. I can respect that, but there must be something that draws you in, something that forces you to sit and pay attention to the music. For me there is none of that in Opeth.

QRV said:
But Opeth? I mean, yeah, it's got the mood, the distinctive sound, even a few interesting lyrical concepts to work with... but I just don't feel they ever achieve much musicwise. It totally lacks variety, it's all unremarkable and messy. One song ends, another begins, and it's more of the same. Riff after riff after riff with no cohesion whatsoever.
Obviously their fans, including me, find their riffs, transitions and what not pleasing and that's all there is to it. I don't think it's the mixture of elements, at least it's not for me. Mostly it's the great guitars and Åkerfeldt's voice (and pen). And the whole thing, the sound.
You're right that they haven't had much variation or change in their music, or their style of music, aside from the Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse period, it's been more like a constant fine-tune since MAYH. Maybe that changed a bit after Blackwater Park, but the sound and music has stayed pretty much the same. That's why I couldn't get into Ghost Reveries at first at all, it sounded exactly like what I had already heard on Still Life or Blackwater Park and a lot less awesome. I kept listening to the album though and started picking up great songs and lots of great moments. It's not their best album, but has great individual songs. Beneath The Mire for one is one of their best songs ever.
As a sidenote, despite being an incoherent riff-collage to most, Morningrise has atmosphere in abundance.
One thing that I'll say about Opeth is that generally their acoustic parts don't sit too well with me. The acoustic ballads themselves are different, songs like Harvest, Benighted, Credence and so on are awesome, but the acoustic parts in heavy songs are usually rather boring, especially in 'new' Opeth. Or maybe only in the new Opeth.

QRV said:
Anyway, back to Opeth. I always wanted somebody to explain me what's the bloody point of their music.

I mean, take bands that write long songs. Neurosis creates a thick dense continous wall of sound; My Dying Bride establishes a mood and explores it all through; Lacrimosa uses a crescendo structure, creates tension; Green Carnation goes for different moments and has a conceptual cohesion.

But Opeth? I mean, yeah, it's got the mood, the distinctive sound, even a few interesting lyrical concepts to work with... but I just don't feel they ever achieve much musicwise. It totally lacks variety, it's all unremarkable and messy. One song ends, another begins, and it's more of the same. Riff after riff after riff with no cohesion whatsoever. Sure, also the more tranquil acoustic moments are quite pretty and cool, but they feel like mere ornamentation. They're pretty and that's it. It's difficult to connect with something like that, at least for me.

I don't know what makes this band so appealing for that much people. I suppose it must be the mixture of elements, or the tasteful nature it's all put together. I can't deny they have originality. I can respect that, but there must be something that draws you in, something that forces you to sit and pay attention to the music. For me there is none of that in Opeth.

comparing lacrimosa and green carnation to opeth is laughable

being too lazy to read long posts properly and yet commenting on them anyway is laughable

but here's a summary for you: he's not comparing the bands per se, just using those bands as an excuse to say he finds long Opeth songs lack cohesion and variety

whether or not he's right is debatable, but a debate should have arguments and i suggest you work on those

Status
Not open for further replies.