DT vs Opeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Reason To Sing said:
:worship: Right on. Great fucking post. Their both amazing bands, I have tons of respect for both bands. C'mon, DT is more melodic death, you guys should compare your DT to In Flames. :p

Dark Tranquillity is great. The Gallery, Minds I, Projector......their one of my very first bands, and they got me into the amazing world of metal.

Right after MorningRise, I'm going for some Projector.

Good man. Listen to your Opeth and then throw on your Dark Tranquility. Why settle for one over the other? ;)

Skullzz said:
OMG next can we do Linkin Park vs Limp Bizkit? :rolleyes:

Seriously, who fucking cares. Some people are going to enjoy Opeth more than Dark Tranquility, some are going to enjoy Dark Tranquility more than Opeth. If you like one more than the other, good for you, that doesn't mean anyone who disagrees is stupid or an asshole or a jerk. They're both fucking awesome bands, no need to argue like a bunch of 14 year olds over it.

Punish_My_Heaven said:
Opeth fuckin sucks!!!!!!....There's no fuckin doubt that DT will win!

This is the kind of immature shit that we don't need. I just got back from the concert last night, with the Devin Townsend Band, DT, and Opeth.

I will say this much: while I already knew and loved Opeth, DT fucking blasted my mind to pieces. I was completely blown away (not to mention I got a great picture of Mikael Stanne mid-scream).

The two bands don't even compare. In my opinion, they're both fucking incredible, but I can't say one is better than the other. I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Opeth, sometimes I'm in the mood for DT. Sometimes I'd rather listen to Cannibal Corpse or Dismember. Occasionally I find myself listening to Eric Clapton.

Knock off the fanboy bullshit, kids, let's just acknowledge that they're both talented bands and that some people happen to like one more than the other.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Obviously their fans, including me, find their riffs, transitions and what not pleasing and that's all there is to it. I don't think it's the mixture of elements, at least it's not for me. Mostly it's the great guitars and Åkerfeldt's voice (and pen). And the whole thing, the sound.
You're right that they haven't had much variation or change in their music, or their style of music, aside from the Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse period, it's been more like a constant fine-tune since MAYH. Maybe that changed a bit after Blackwater Park, but the sound and music has stayed pretty much the same. That's why I couldn't get into Ghost Reveries at first at all, it sounded exactly like what I had already heard on Still Life or Blackwater Park and a lot less awesome. I kept listening to the album though and started picking up great songs and lots of great moments. It's not their best album, but has great individual songs. Beneath The Mire for one is one of their best songs ever.
As a sidenote, despite being an incoherent riff-collage to most, Morningrise has atmosphere in abundance.
One thing that I'll say about Opeth is that generally their acoustic parts don't sit too well with me. The acoustic ballads themselves are different, songs like Harvest, Benighted, Credence and so on are awesome, but the acoustic parts in heavy songs are usually rather boring, especially in 'new' Opeth. Or maybe only in the new Opeth.

Yeah, they are good at creating a mood. About the acoustic parts, I guess they're simply part of the formula; and I'd agree new Opeth is much more boring. If I compare the in-between acoustics of MAYH and BWP to the new ones, the new ones do feel emptier. But maybe it's because they've been way too overused as well.

And well, I guess it's all merely a matter of taste. I mean, I can listen to MAYH once in a while and I think I can get an idea of what you mean. It actually seems like a band I should probably like, but I'm just looking for something else in music. To each its own, I suppose.

While I love me some Opeth (I love MAYH, Still Life, BWP and Damnation), DT wins this for me without having to even think twice. Opeth have way more misses in their catalogue to me than DT do and all Opeth songs essentially can have the same song structures. I often find myself becoming bored with Opeth too due to my disliking of progressive metal.

And for the record, Character>>>>>>Ghost Reveries.

UndoControl said:
Points to whoever guesses why.

i can't decide. it could be the illiterate comments, or the lack of punctuation, or the constant misspelling of tranquillity, or the inability to read previous replies, or the repetitiveness of the opinions expressed, or the attempt at defending a point that does not, by any stretch of the imagination, even exist.

UndoControl said:
rahvin: None of the above, since you seem to be implying that i was being sarcastic and i wasn't. :)

sarcasm is not necessary if you were actually learning precious lessons about humanity. :p but i see your point, and i can only imagine what you find interesting in a thread like this one, much like i can only imagine you finding something interesting in a thread like this one. i almost admire your curiosity.

almost. ;)

DT = Melodic Death, Gothenburg
Opeth = Extreme Progressive metal with death metal vocal

What the fuck do you want to compare?
Someone likes DT more, someone like Opeth more, they are different and highlights of their genres.

I love both bands and like many other solid metal fans, I never see the need to compare them. I'd compare this so-called argument with Hypocrisy vs. Unleashed or something like that. Both bands were seminal in their own right and you could say they're both Swedish death metal but apart from that they're miles apart. Although most people know this already, I will stress again that there is a good measure of friendship between the bands so there's plainly no need for this sort of thing.

Come on guys, get real. I think most of you know that Opeth is light years ahead of Dark Tranquility, or any other band, for that matter.

I love Dark Tranquility. They have a more "straight-forward" Death Metal perspective that I enjoy. They are definitely better than most. But let's not jump the gun and say they "pwn" Opeth, because that is just fucking ridiculous. We all know there isn't a band out there that sounds like Opeth; their originality is one of the vast array of talents they have. I can go on and on and on. I'd never foul mouth Dark Tranquility. I think they're sweet, and they're even touring with Opeth, but I think we should be realistic.

You can say you like DT more than Opeth, that's cool, but to say they're better, or more talented, is simply ridiculous. I think even the biggest DT fans feel the same way deep down. This is fucking Opeth we're talking about. Opeth.

If you'd have given your reasons why you prefer Opeth over DT rather than giving a 'you-know-it's-true' post then I'd have no problem. This sort of thing is exactly why although I love Opeth, I never post in the 'official' forum. For the record, I prefer then over DT because of the increased range of mood their tracks move through. Yes, their transitions (especially in the earlier albums) are clumsy, but I actually enjoy this... re: Dirge For November plus I love prog rock, so Opeth combine elements of two genres I adore. DT do have plenty of beautiful moments, but Opeth still edge it for me. Others will disagree with me, and they'd have a more than valid argument more often than not, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I love them both. Different styles within the musical construct of metal/death metal though. Opeth is more "progressive", experimental, and atmospheric, while DT is more concise in song structure but also more overtly melodic alternating with precision brutality. Equally great stuff in my opinion.

psychdoc

rahvin said:
not just one of them different, and the other identical, perchance?

eheheh :tickled:

that was very lol

anyway... getting back to the "motherfucking pineapples":

i don't really get the point when i hear people saying opeth are more progressive/atmospherical (er... i've always wondered what does atmospherical really mean in terms of music :err: ) and DT more tight/straight forward.

i tend to consider opeth more "easy listening" than DT.
and that's not a plus or a minus for them.
it's just a difference, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.