EDGUY coming back to the States

Yeah.. there was a false start on that a couple of months ago for them on ETV.. hopefully this one is true.

Great tour package. Sabaton, really trying hard to play more shows in the U.S.A. Will be attending the NEMHF just for IE, Sabaton package!:Smokedev: I also find it interesting that Behemoth decided not to play the festival but the rest of the bill is? Weird.

I wouldn't call Sonata Arctica, Delain, & Xandria a lackluster lineup; but to each his own. :err:
Whether or not you're interested in the lineup, I'd be concerned about the drawing power. All three bands appeal to roughly the same set of fans. I honestly don't know what Sonata Arctica's drawing power is at this point, but they've alienated a certain portion of their core fanbase and I'm not sure those fans have been replaced with people who love their new direction. As sick as everyone gets of metalcore bands being added onto prog/power metal tours, at least it increases the chances of tickets being sold by putting the tour in front of a different set of eyes.

They better have a decent package/opener if they want their tour to succeed...
Agreed, I hope they don't try to go it alone the way Primal Fear is this coming Spring. Last time I saw them (Tinnitus Sanctus tour), they drew a small looking crowd to an already small venue in the suburbs of San Diego, and they haven't exactly done anything to gain momentum since then.

Whether or not you're interested in the lineup, I'd be concerned about the drawing power. All three bands appeal to roughly the same set of fans. I honestly don't know what Sonata Arctica's drawing power is at this point, but they've alienated a certain portion of their core fanbase and I'm not sure those fans have been replaced with people who love their new direction. As sick as everyone gets of metalcore bands being added onto prog/power metal tours, at least it increases the chances of tickets being sold by putting the tour in front of a different set of eyes.

I disagree. I think tours that have bands with similar fan bases will generally draw better than tours which do not. Last time I believe Sonata toured with Arsis. I can't imagine an Arsis fan hanging around and becoming a a Sonata fan. I feel this tour and the Iced Earth, Sabaton, & Revamp tour are going to both draw quite well.

I really hope it comes to New Orleans. Each and every one of these bands coming to New Orleans would be a definite yes from me. As it stands, coming just to Houston makes me have to decide whether the 6 hour drive is worth it.

Edit: Also, when it says Sabaton is on sale soon, does that mean they're touring America again in the fall maybe? The new album comes in May, so I can see them touring Europe in the Summer then hitting us again in the fall. I'm just surprised to see a European band tour America twice in a year.

Care to elaborate on that statement? I'd be curious to hear why.

I think it would be a decent match. Enough overlap in fans to get people sitting on the fence off their butt, but a different enough to bring in potential new fans to the mix. I just used them as an example, but a band of that or similar size that would be a nice draw but not a big enough draw to tour on their own would be a nice match.

More likely we'll see yet another match up with Alestorm, Blackguard, or one of the other typical tourmates.

I think it would be a decent match. Enough overlap in fans to get people sitting on the fence off their butt, but a different enough to bring in potential new fans to the mix. I just used them as an example, but a band of that or similar size that would be a nice draw but not a big enough draw to tour on their own would be a nice match.

More likely we'll see yet another match up with Alestorm, Blackguard, or one of the other typical tourmates.

I find it unlikely that Pagan's Mind fans won't already be at the Edguy show.

How many people could Pagan's Mind "add" per show to the draw, based on their name alone? 20? That is not enough people to make a true difference.

Edguy needs a strong name as a support... A name that can add 100 people per show. I love Pagan's Mind, but that's not going to happen.

As far as Blackguard and Alestorm, there's a big reason why they get on so many of these tours. :)

"Edguy needs a strong name as a support... A name that can add 100 people per show"

Who does that leave? Are there any non-headlining power or prog (or any other kind of metal) bands that could pull 100 people? The only band I can think of is Amaranthe, and they may be past the point of opening for anyone but A-listers (Kamelot, Blind Guardian, etc.).

I find it unlikely that Pagan's Mind fans won't already be at the Edguy show.

How many people could Pagan's Mind "add" per show to the draw, based on their name alone? 20? That is not enough people to make a true difference.

I don't know. Reading comments regarding Edguy on the Sonta Arctica tread, seems like a lot of people who might otherwise go to see them (read this as power metal fans) might consider sitting this one out.

I'm curious who you think would make a good touring mate?

Who does that leave? Are there any non-headlining power or prog (or any other kind of metal) bands that could pull 100 people? The only band I can think of is Amaranthe, and they may be past the point of opening for anyone but A-listers (Kamelot, Blind Guardian, etc.).

It's tough to say, as I am not sure some "headlining" bands can even draw 100 people in all markets.

I just am not 100% sure if Pagans Mind alone can contribute to bringing a whole lot of people to the show... Then again I am not sure other bands in the genre would either.