EDGUY coming back to the States

It's tough to say, as I am not sure some "headlining" bands can even draw 100 people in all markets.

I just am not 100% sure if Pagans Mind alone can contribute to bringing a whole lot of people to the show... Then again I am not sure other bands in the genre would either.

What would you think about Vanden Plas? I would view them the same way as I view Pagan's Mind.

I don't know. Reading comments regarding Edguy on the Sonta Arctica tread, seems like a lot of people who might otherwise go to see them (read this as power metal fans) might consider sitting this one out.

I'm curious who you think would make a good touring mate?

From a business perspective, these days I'd pair them up in a co-headliner scenario with another band as big as them, if not bigger.

But if I need to pick a band, I know Delain is picking up quite a bit of steam. I know Amaranthe did very well in most places on their first US tour (yes, they played on their own and could probably do another small headline run, but still). Some shows they may increase the draw by a lot, while others probably not much. I'd start there, personally.

The last time Edguy headlined here was 2007 (my bad.. did they headline in 2009? I know they opened for Kamelot in 2008) - they had Into Eternity as direct support, and Echoes of Eternity and Light This City as openers. There were maybe 200 people in the crowd.

Nobody came for EOE or LTC, and there were maybe 30 people that showed any interest in IE (this is not long after they released the video for Severe Emotional Distress, so they at least had a little name recognition).

It was also a horribly booked tour. They did the usual path across the northern states, skipping Detroit, then down the west coast and then up to Denver, and on to Detroit for the final show. They never came near the south or southeast. I had to fly from Dallas to Detroit for the weekend to get a chance to see them.

Its been 4+ years since they toured here.. they could probably pull off a headline tour with support from the aforementioned Blackguard, and maybe one of the up-and-coming Finnish MDM bands like Insomnium that have had some exposure here in the last couple of years.

I think a co-headline tour would be a great idea, even if they wind up as the opener with a longer than usual setlist. Alestorm draws well here but probably isnt solo headline material yet (except for Paganfest). Symphony X is also due for a tour, and the two bands are different enough to draw from different audiences.

If Edguy comes to Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston, I'll be there, regardless of who else is on the bill, but I'm also a huge fanboy of Tobi's.

Alestorm did a headline tour last year if I'm not wrong (with Gypsyhawk and someone else)... I am not sure how they did number-wise, but I wouldn't classify them as "an opener" any longer. :)

From a business perspective, these days I'd pair them up in a co-headliner scenario with another band as big as them, if not bigger.

But if I need to pick a band, I know Delain is picking up quite a bit of steam. I know Amaranthe did very well in most places on their first US tour (yes, they played on their own and could probably do another small headline run, but still). Some shows they may increase the draw by a lot, while others probably not much. I'd start there, personally.

I think Amaranthe would be a decent pick, but Delain is already on the SA tour, plus they just finished the Kamelot tour. I think 3 tours in a year will dilute their drawing power. A band like TYR might work well for them. Every time I've seen TYR they have a lot of people there to see them, plus they are different enough to bring in new people but similar enough not to be weird. Of course TYR is already touring this year, so once again their drawing power might be reduced. Personally, I'd love to see them with Mob Rules, but I don't see that happening.

Alestorm did a headline tour last year if I'm not wrong (with Gypsyhawk and someone else)... I am not sure how they did number-wise, but I wouldn't classify them as "an opener" any longer. :)

No, but co-headliner or direct support for a bigger band (Blind Guardian, Epica, Kamelot) would fit them well, I think. That's what I meant. :) I mean... *I* would go see them no matter who they were playing with, but we're not the norm in America, either.

I think Amaranthe would be a decent pick, but Delain is already on the SA tour, plus they just finished the Kamelot tour. I think 3 tours in a year will dilute their drawing power. A band like TYR might work well for them. Every time I've seen TYR they have a lot of people there to see them, plus they are different enough to bring in new people but similar enough not to be weird. Of course TYR is already touring this year, so once again their drawing power might be reduced. Personally, I'd love to see them with Mob Rules, but I don't see that happening.

Tyr is another good choice. I forgot that Delain opened for Kamelot last year. I remember hearing a lot of people were at the shows for Delain, however.

Mob Rules... lol yeah, man... don't see that happening either. But you never know.

Looking at the ETV email, I wonder if there might be a Sabaton/Edguy or Epica/Edguy tour possibility. Sabaton is already touring with Iced Earth, but they are still listed as if they are going to do another tour. If they do a second tour, I would think that they would want a headlining or coheadlining spot with another name band. Edguy might fit that bill well. I think their draw together would be probably be at least twice there draw individually.

I think co-headlining tours would work better than trying to make it on their own. Maybe I'm just biased because a Sabaton/Edguy show sounds amazing.

When I told my wife I was going to see Iced Earth/Sabaton/Revamp in Atlanta in April, she asked me if I had not already seen Sabaton. I replied that I can never get enough Sabaton so how many times I had seen them was irrelevant. If Sabaton hits Atlanta again later in 2014, there is an excellent chance that I will be there too. :Spin:

Edguy and Epica also have my attention. If I can swing it AND they are in Atlanta, I will try to attend. My problem is one of money and convincing my wife not to object. Already this year, I have Manowar, Sick Puppies/Lacuna Coil/Eyes Set to Kill/Cilver, Iced Earth/Sabaton/Revamp, all four days of PPUSA and associated events, and Sonata Arctica/Delain/Xandria.

I fear I may be forced to practice restraint and delayed gratification! Noooooooooooooo!!!!! :loco: