Educate me if you will.

Shroud46_2

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2001
I was recently in an odd situation. For one thing I was in a mall of all existance forsaken places, and I found myself taking advice from someone I didn't realy know. I was asked If I like metal, I replied yes. I was asked what my favorite band was or what kind of music I like, I can not remember, I replied TOOL. I was then pointed toward an Opeth CD, and it was sugested. It was the knew album and I considered buying it because of the cover alone. Due to the design and my unsatisfiable hunger for things Grey. Insted I bought a cheep ass CD whith one of there songs on it, "When". I love it, and WILL have more Opeth. Thanks to some one who was trying to sell somthing and pointed me in the direction, or she is a real fan of Opeth.

What one Opeth CD would you advise me to buy first, or if it may be the only one I buy? I would tell anyone asking the same of me on the subject of TOOL to get Ænema. It is what I consider to be the best example of TOOL from my point of view. Thats what I wanted to know what you think would be the best example of Opeth as a whole, not which if any album is lesser or greater. Any help would be great.

I would say "Still Life" or "Morningrise", which was my first Opeth album. While "Still Life" is a bit more accessible and has a really great story, "Morningrise" is the ultimate Opeth epic. So, if you're feeling adventurous, grab "Morningrise".

I say, pick "Orchid". It's their first album, and simply fantastic. Then take the second CD, then the third ... in this way you can experience the band like many other people have done: in chronological order!

And welcome....:headbang:

welcome!
and well i would advice u to bye them ALL!
haha :lol:
but seriusly, do that!
but yeah i think maybe u should eather start with Black Water Park(BWP) or Still Life....
or u can start in the other end with Orchid and Morningrise... and ofcourse u got the get your hands on My Arms Your Hearse(MAYH)...

It really does not matter which cd you get first. Once you buy one of them you WILL have all of the others very shortly, and Opeth have never made a bad album so no matter what you won't be disappointed. Plus there is the fact that there is no universally accepted "best" Opeth album. Since they are all so fucking good it's just a matter of opinion.

Buy them all.:)

Originally posted by Shroud46_2
I wanted to know what you think would be the best example of Opeth as a whole, not which if any album is lesser or greater. Any help would be great.

For me it was BWP(blackwater park) that i bought first because i heard Bleak on the radio. It was really amazing to me. Then of course i started buying the others.I dont really know what album to start with. There all fantastic in there own way. I recommend experencing all of them.

Originally posted by Shroud46_2
Insted I bought a cheep ass CD whith one of there songs on it, "When". I love it, and WILL have more Opeth.

If you love the song "When" than you will most definitly love all of MAYH(my arms your hearse)so mabye you should start with that one and go from there.

I hope this helps you because i think everyone should experience the greatness of Opeth.:D

Welcome :) And I'd say get SL or BWP first if you want toput less effort into getting to know them - to my mind they are the most accesible

Ænema is more self indulgent than lateralus I think, somany people prefer the latter.I agree with you tho Ænema is their best :D

I am suprized that I recieved a reply, let alone so many so quickly. Thank you all, and anyone who posts latter. If anything the respons as it is shows me the Opeth fans are quite impressive them selves. So far Still Water came up the most. Unless I am urged otherwise I will likely buy it first. However if I am as self aware as I seem to be the fact that I become obbsesed quickly will lead me to buy them all as I am able. When is playing now for the 20th time and I have it in my head. thank you all and any other sugestions are welcome

If you like Opeth, YOU WILL END UP BUYING ALL THEIR CD'S! That's a given, but which to get first? No Opeth CD shows "Opeth at its best", they all do :lol: . It seems everyone has their own favorite, there's really not a dominant favorite. You can listen to one Opeth CD for a year straight and not get bored (MetalmanCP) And I think Lina listened to one for two years lol. I've been listened to Still Life for a few months, now i've been listening to Morningrise a few months. The music can be so emotional, I like when Morningrise brings a tear to my eye :cry: Opeth is a great band, it will take you years to fully appreciate all their CD's (no i'm not there yet)

EDIT: Stillwater isn't an Opeth CD, you have a combination of Still Life and Blackwater Park, hehe.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
1? one? ONE? You can't have just one.

It's all or nothing!!!!! Splurg, go into debt, buy them ALL!:)

Indubitably old chum :lol:. I remember the week I bought BWP I was unable to pay my electric bill.

ah yes you will be buying them all soon or later my friend :) but Opeth is just the beginning stick around here and you will pick up on so many more bands that will most likely interest you. Even though Opeth are kings there will still be room for other music. :devil:

To fully experience Opeth buy the albums chronologically in 6 week increments.

Start with Orchid.

My Arms, Your Hearse was the first Opeth album I got my hands into.. I really loved it..
The first one I bought was Blackwater Park.. just because it was their newest album.. then I got Still Life cause it had that "nice price" sticker on it :)
..and then I got all the other 3 at once..
I had never listened to a single song before I bought them (except MAYH).. I just had the feeling I would be impressed.. and I was..
Go on.. follow your instinct.. or just pick one randomly.. it doesn't make any difference.. you WILL get ALL of them:)

Originally posted by Oyo
And I think Lina listened to one for two years lol.
:lol: not quite. this is like that telephone game when people put cups to their ears and see what the message is by the end. :tickled: i said i went five months or so listening to ONLY Opeth -- not any one album, but all of them. LOL. But hey, it's an exaggeration i would be proud of!