EMG ABQ / Jackson JE-1000

srob7001

I shred faces off for fun
Dec 17, 2009
Florida
Ok, so I understand that both of these items let you alter the resonant frequency of the guitars pickup, but can anyone explain it to me?

I read a little from some googled shit, but I'm not sure I understand.

What I got was that the lower the resonant freq the more mids and lows you get, and the higher the freq the more highs and mids you get? Am I wrong?

Also, is the EMG ABQ somewhat of a copy of the JE-1000 as they seem very similar.....res freq switches and gain boost.

Thanks for any help with this guys...and gals.

Sean

I haven't tried the EMG but I had an MM-04 and now have Je-1000.

MM-04 and Je-1000 are pretty much the same, only thing is that the Je-1000 affects the tone a lot! whereas the MM-04 didn't.
I think that the MM-04 and the EMG are the same so this is what the EMG and the Je-1000 do:

Difference: Je-1000 affetcs the tone (gives a wah-effects in your tone), the EMG didn't

- both are gainboosts: minimum boost is +4.5db and max. is +18db
- both give you a longer sustain
- both are 3-band equalizer. that means that you have 4 mini dips (one without function). the other dips cut kHz from 5-2. (4 on -5kHz, 3 on - 4.5kHz, 3+4 on -4 kHz, 2 on -3.5kHz and so on...)

and this:

- stage 1) a passive RC low band filter with discrete cutoff frequencies:

goal: depending on the value of C, frequencies above the cutoff frequency don't pass

- stage 2) a JFET CS amplifier used as buffer amp (high input impedance, low output impedance, low voltage gain):

goal: makes the signal independant from the external load of cables etc.. and offers an amount of gain

- stage 3) a NPN CC amplifier (emitter follower) (when the load resistance drops, there's almost no loss of voltage gain which remains +/- 1):

goal: prevents overloading the output (when using higher output pickups)

So you think the EMG is more like the MM-04?

I ask as I did recently purchase the signature EMG F ALX W/ ABQ and it sounds great in my RR24M. It has the gain boost, which is pretty awesome BTW, can't turn it up too much though, but it also has the 3 little switches to change the resonant freq, now I havn't tried all the different positions yet (just left it on Alexi's setting) and it does give it that slight wah sound. It just functions with a push/pull instead of the on/off switch. Based off of diagrams I have seen of the JE-1000, the EMG ABQ seems like a copy of it, just smaller as they are using newer technology now.

Also, about the PU it comes with....I believe it is a new PU all together, not a HZ-H4 with the ABQ. IF you compare specs from the EMG site between the ALX HZ and the other HZ models it isn't the same. It seems very close in spec to the EMG HZ-H2, but not exactly the same. Only bringing this up as in some other post people were thinking it was just an EMG HZ with the ABQ and EMG stuck Alexi's name on it. Based off info I have seen it appears to be a totally new PU, designed for him.

I must say the tone is awesome. Blows the EMG-81 out of the water..IMO. Much clearer, less compressed sounding, better sounding pick attack. More low end with really nice highs.

If I had a way to record something I would post it for you guys as no one on here seems to have this set yet.

Anyways, thanks for the info Arcane.... that was alot more technical than I expected.

Yea, the sound is very similar. Thats what i love so much about it...that wah-ish sound you get. Pretty cool. I knew it was supposed to colour the tone, but i didn't realize how much until I plugged in and heard it for myself.

Do you know what frequency you are at with the JE-1000, I know with the ABQ it says his setting is like 1.38Khz, just wondering if its the same.

Also, the db boost.......how high do you turn it up with the JE-1000, as with the EMG it is pretty usless after like a 1/4 of a turn, just way too much boost.

For anyone who can't find or afford the Jackson parts, the EMG set is about as close as I think you can get and for $99.00 us dollars its actually really cheap. And for all you collectors, it came with a black EMG whrist band. Has EMG writtin in red on one side and COB written on the other side.

Yea, the sound is very similar. Thats what i love so much about it...that wah-ish sound you get. Pretty cool. I knew it was supposed to colour the tone, but i didn't realize how much until I plugged in and heard it for myself.

Do you know what frequency you are at with the JE-1000, I know with the ABQ it says his setting is like 1.38Khz, just wondering if its the same.

Also, the db boost.......how high do you turn it up with the JE-1000, as with the EMG it is pretty usless after like a 1/4 of a turn, just way too much boost.

For anyone who can't find or afford the Jackson parts, the EMG set is about as close as I think you can get and for $99.00 us dollars its actually really cheap. And for all you collectors, it came with a black EMG whrist band. Has EMG writtin in red on one side and COB written on the other side.

Is that with Every Set?

Picture of the Wrist band :D ?
and do anyone know where i can buy this set within Europe?

cause im getting my Edwards Scyth this Saterday :D .
and how will an H4 with the ABQ sound ?

Is that with Every Set?

Picture of the Wrist band :D ?
and do anyone know where i can buy this set within Europe?

cause im getting my Edwards Scyth this Saterday :D .
and how will an H4 with the ABQ sound ?

What do you mean is that with every set? Do you mean the ABQ? If so no. It only comes with the Alexi set. F-ALX W/ ABQ is what EMG calls his set. Not sure how the ABQ would sound with the HZ-H4, the PU it comes with is basically the HZ-H2. But I believe you can buy just the ABQ and pair it with any passive PU you like. But at that point the resonant freq listed in the manual would not be the same. I think the ABQ is around $25.00 us dollars on its own. Pretty cheap compared to the MM-04.

What PU is coming in your Edwards Scyth?

I'll try to get a pic up. I only have internet at work so I'll see what I can do. It's really nothing special, but it was cool that it was in there. Also, can get 2 free rockhouse lessons with the code they give you. Cool I guess, even though you can find them all on youtube.

haha :D

well i ment was do you get a Wristband with Every ALX/ABQ Set ? and

whats the Big Diffrents between the ALX and the F-ALX set?...
alexi has the ALX in his guitar but the F-ALX is the Floyd Rose Set.
i guess that if the pickup is a H2 .. ill keep the H4 in it with the ABQ booster on it (dont know yet im just gonna try both and chose what sounds the best)

i have some original JE-1000's here to but i dont want to Drill in to the Body of the Edwards. for the switch :rofl:...

haha :D

well i ment was do you get a Wristband with Every ALX/ABQ Set ? and

whats the Big Diffrents between the ALX and the F-ALX set?...
alexi has the ALX in his guitar but the F-ALX is the Floyd Rose Set.
i guess that if the pickup is a H2 .. ill keep the H4 in it with the ABQ booster on it (dont know yet im just gonna try both and chose what sounds the best)

i have some original JE-1000's here to but i dont want to Drill in to the Body of the Edwards. for the switch :rofl:...

Oh ,the wristband. I would imagine they come with every set. Mine was sealed with plastic wrap and it was inside..

Only diff is the F is for floyd spaced. I bet the one he used was the F spaced.

If you get the set I would love to hear the diff, if any between the ABQ and the JE-1000 on the same PU. And if you use it with the HZ-H4. Was very hard to find any sound clips of that set. Not too many with it.

You can't propably hear any difference between the HZ-H2 and the HZ-H4. It's nearly impossible.

Fastbodom: You can install one of your je-1000's without the mini switch. Just turn it on and then install it. The EMG ABQ is also "on" everytime. You can't turn it off.

srob: I don't know much about the frequency, sorry. But I don't use the boost, so my switch is always off because I don't need extra gain.

yes you can turn of the ABQ by pulling the Push pull Knob ... :D the switch is only for the gain.
but the Frequency is always on yes..

same as the JE-1000. but i want to get an MM-04 of that alexi abq booster so i can spare my JE-1000's for my future Alexi jackson replica's :D

when my Edwards Arrives im going to redo my Wildchild one, this time Tilt neck. non recessed Floyd Rose and back loaded :D maby a stone after that Mhwuahaha (Fanboy for life)

i can build guitars but my playing skills sucks ass T.T

I think Arcane was refering to the switches always being on. Those you can't turn off, only the gain boost......I think we are all on the same page.

I think Arcane was refering to the switches always being on. Those you can't turn off, only the gain boost......I think we are all on the same page.

thats what i said :p

you just copied me :lol:

ELLI: thanks for the link !

Another Question.

Whats the Diffrents Between The Alexi ABQ and the EMG AB afterburner booster ?

Fastbodom: I did copy you, just re-worded it.

Correct Arcane.

The PA-2 is a gain boost that is turned on and off with a mini toggle switch.

THe AB is a gain boost that is turned on and off with a push pull pot.

Both do the exact same thing, but with the PA-2 you would have to drill a new hole in the guitar.

The ABQ is basically the AB w/ the mini swtiches to alter the resonant freq, or as some might say, the tone of the PU. AB for the boost, Q for the Eq......ABQ!!

And FWIW...last night I tried all the settings with the switches on the ABQ and I must say you can get a wide variety of sounds out of that thing. I actually think one of the other settings sounds more CoBish than the one it comes preset as "Alexi's setting"

And I was thinkinig.....this basically works like a wah pedal by changing the freq. SO in theory someone with the knowledge could make a pedal with wah components, use a dial to change the freq(as if you were pressing the wah pedal), then just make an on/off button for it. Basically you could turn it on or off instead of being on all the time. Just a thought.

which edwards? Do u know where I can buy the pink one? I can`t find a store :/
I think the pink guitar is only available at ebay. Have never seen it before in other stores...

Fastbodom: I did copy you, just re-worded it.

Correct Arcane.

The PA-2 is a gain boost that is turned on and off with a mini toggle switch.

THe AB is a gain boost that is turned on and off with a push pull pot.

Both do the exact same thing, but with the PA-2 you would have to drill a new hole in the guitar.

The ABQ is basically the AB w/ the mini swtiches to alter the resonant freq, or as some might say, the tone of the PU. AB for the boost, Q for the Eq......ABQ!!

And FWIW...last night I tried all the settings with the switches on the ABQ and I must say you can get a wide variety of sounds out of that thing. I actually think one of the other settings sounds more CoBish than the one it comes preset as "Alexi's setting"

And I was thinkinig.....this basically works like a wah pedal by changing the freq. SO in theory someone with the knowledge could make a pedal with wah components, use a dial to change the freq(as if you were pressing the wah pedal), then just make an on/off button for it. Basically you could turn it on or off instead of being on all the time. Just a thought.
What are your settings for your ABQ? I only have the 5kHz switch on. Sounds best for me. It kills a littlebit of bass but if I use 3 or 2+4 i.ex. it kills too much of the mids...

What are your settings for your ABQ? I only have the 5kHz switch on. Sounds best for me. It kills a littlebit of bass but if I use 3 or 2+4 i.ex. it kills too much of the mids...

http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/ALX_0230-0154B.pdf

If you scroll down a bit until you get to the ABQ settings.....I thought the 1.22KHz sounded most like CoB than his pre-set setting. I mean the preset one does sound CoBish, but the other one(1.22KHz) seems to be more correct to the sound. At least to my ears.