EMG ABQ / Jackson JE-1000

So I ordered Edwards Scythe Alexi Laiho signature and I'm currently unsure about the pickup. Maybe planning to put the EMG ALX set with the ABQ booster/eq, or Jackson 50bc with mm-04 booster/eq. They both seem to be copies of Jackson Je-1000, but are pretty different actually when you read their information.

ABQ manual says it can boost frequencies between 1.22–3.33kHz and Alexi settings are 1,38kHz. On the other hand we have mm-04 manual telling it can boost frequencies between 2-5 kHz and Alexi setting are: switches 2 and 4 on.

So this information brings up some questions:

1. Which frequencies does the mm-04 boost when switches 2 and 4 are on? Is it near 1,38kHz(ABQ) or something completely different? Does anyone actually owning mm-04 have any information?

2.Which one is closer to the original? Any information about Alexi's Je-1000 settings or what frequency its boosting?
I can't speak on what frequencies the JE-1000 or MM-04 boost, but I can say that the MM-04 does sound different, to me, than the ABQ. The ABQ has significantly more of that cocked wah sound, especially on the higher strings.
Also for anyone who's curious: you can totally use the ABQ with other pickups, but EMG use their Quik-Connect clips, so you will need to do some wire splicing in order to make it work with a non-EMG pickup. I've got mine wired to a J50BC and it sounds killer! Also, the ABQ has a lot more gain in the boost than the MM-04. I set both at 50% and the ABQ was much hotter of a signal(perhaps too hot lol.)

I can't speak on what frequencies the JE-1000 or MM-04 boost, but I can say that the MM-04 does sound different, to me, than the ABQ. The ABQ has significantly more of that cocked wah sound, especially on the higher strings.
Also for anyone who's curious: you can totally use the ABQ with other pickups, but EMG use their Quik-Connect clips, so you will need to do some wire splicing in order to make it work with a non-EMG pickup. I've got mine wired to a J50BC and it sounds killer! Also, the ABQ has a lot more gain in the boost than the MM-04. I set both at 50% and the ABQ was much hotter of a signal(perhaps too hot lol.)
Which pickup did you prefer with the ABQ? Any chance for some audio material of it/them?

Which pickup did you prefer with the ABQ? Any chance for some audio material of it/them?
I am planning on doing a comparison video of them very soon! I didn't unfortunately try the ABQ with the EMG, I had my local tech put it in with the J50BC right when I got it. With the J50BC, I think it really nails the early COB/Sinergy tones, but the normal 50-80% range of the boost is WAY too hot for anything Bodom related. I'm going to try dialing it down and I will report back what seems to be the ideal setting.

I am planning on doing a comparison video of them very soon! I didn't unfortunately try the ABQ with the EMG, I had my local tech put it in with the J50BC right when I got it. With the J50BC, I think it really nails the early COB/Sinergy tones, but the normal 50-80% range of the boost is WAY too hot for anything Bodom related. I'm going to try dialing it down and I will report back what seems to be the ideal setting.
Sound great. Really looking forward to hearing that comparison!

How is that comparison video coming along? :) Any material yet?

How is that comparison video coming along? :) Any material yet?
Working on it! We've had some crazy winter storms here in Texas that knocked out our power for about a week, so nobody has done much since lol. My buddy did finish up this pedal for me that's an original JE-1000 in a pedal enclosure! I will definitely be testing this one out for a comparison too. The ABQ definitely has gobs and gobs of gain in comparison to my original, for sure.IMG_0281.JPG

Thanks for the reply! The ABQ alone doesn't seem to come with the jack so maybe for me the best would be to get the Emg ALX set with the pickup and all. If it really is that I can't use the existing jack that comes with the guitar...

Why is it that the abq/ j50bc needs a new jack?

Have you found a place where you can get the ABQ as standalone?

Is there a standalone version? I thought you can only get it in combination with the EMG?
There isn't a standalone version, unfortunately. I bought a used ALX set and my local tech splice the wires coming off the ALX pickup so it could be used with a non-EMG pickup.

Bumping an old-ish thread as I have more info on the matter.

You can buy the ABQ direct from EMG now. $89.00, you're better off buying the whole set since the ABQ is that much. Also, EMG has a reverb store that sells open box items. You can get the whole EMG P/U with ABQ and all wires for $105.00.

Yesterday I received a JE-1000 clone from a guy on e-bay for $45.00. Installed it last night with my Alexi EMG pickup. This thing is awesome! Probably about the same amount of boost from both, but the Jackson JE-1000 clone has a much more pronounced wah sound to it. Much better JE-1000 clone than the one I bought many years ago from someone else. This one is dead silent...unless you have the boost pretty high, then you will hear some noise.

Wanted to share this info as I have now tried the ABQ and JE-1000 with my EMG ALX pickup. They both sound great, but for $45.00 the JE-1000 clone is a much better option. Probably going to order a 2nd one just to have as a spare or to put into another guitar one day....got a Jackson Brandon Ellis Signature Kelly on order....so it might get a pickup change and JE-1000 added to it too.

Sill on the hunt for a J-50BC, so if anyone has a lead on one or has one they want to sell, just let me know.

So, I've seen this mentioned a few times as a question but found no answers.... Does anyone know if I could use my EMG ALX pickup with a ESP MM-04 preamp instead of the ABQ? If yes, has anyone done this / can attest to the results?

So, I've seen this mentioned a few times as a question but found no answers.... Does anyone know if I could use my EMG ALX pickup with a ESP MM-04 preamp instead of the ABQ? If yes, has anyone done this / can attest to the results?

Results probably won’t be earthshatteringly different from the other combinations, especially if you already have an ABQ with the ALX. It’s just gear-madness getting to you.
But it’s easily doable, if you have a pair of wire cutters and a soldering iron.

Thank you @Whiteknuckle Deathgrip !! Might not be worth the expense/hassle then it sounds like.. I currently have the ALX with the ABQ in My RR24 and it sounds a bit harsh/thin at times with the boost on. Not terrible but it's definitely taken some EQ tweaking/noise gating to "smooth" out and beef up and now it's a bit better.

Thank you @Whiteknuckle Deathgrip !! Might not be worth the expense/hassle then it sounds like.. I currently have the ALX with the ABQ in My RR24 and it sounds a bit harsh/thin at times with the boost on. Not terrible but it's definitely taken some EQ tweaking/noise gating to "smooth" out and beef up and now it's a bit better.

Anytime, homie :)
I’m in the reverse situation as yours, as I have EMG-HZ H4 and MM-04, and I want to get the ALX/ABQ. Mine wasn’t an easy install and I still have issues with it from time to time. The ALX/ABQ is much more clean and easy to install, and it takes up less real estate in the guitar.
Try messing with the switches. If it’s too bright, try turning all of them on, to take the most treble out.
If it gets too nasty with your amp, or if you’re using a digital modeller or amp sim, try turning the boost way down to avoid digital clipping, which can be ear piercing.

Interesting! I have some clipping with the ALX / ABQ that my guitar tech couldn't solve entirely so I just ended up putting the little EQ on the ABQ on default setting (if I recall) and now the issue is minimized pretty much but I'm no expert. I use JCM900 head so shouldn't be digital? Also, Alexi's tone here is one of my all time faves. Took it as a rough reference but it's not that similar ultimately.

Also, his sound at Tuska 2003 was absolutely sick as well...

I actually have no idea if the whole clipping thing with the (my) ALX/ABQ has any merit. I just switched it to "Up, down, up", which sounded the best and most like early 2000's COB to me. I don't hear any clipping...

I actually have no idea if the whole clipping thing with the (my) ALX/ABQ has any merit. I just switched it to "Up, down, up", which sounded the best and most like early 2000's COB to me. I don't hear any clipping...

The switches on JE-1000, MM-04 and ABQ isn’t a 3-band EQ, they should be viewed as a tone control, attenuating more highs, the more switches are turned on. The first two has the most impact on tone.

The clipping thing is most likely with digital gear, and amp sim.
But I have heard bad things from boosting too much into a Blackstar HT series, and they’re built similarly to JCM900 4100.

Fun fact: Alexi said in his biography that COB has had JCM900 on their tour riders, to use as back ups in case their rigs failed.

It’s probably not your issue.

Depending on what volume levels you’re playing at, try turning the presence way down.