EMG ABQ / Jackson JE-1000

Only if you play songs with a lot of lead guitar parts. The wah-effect still excist when you play normal power chords but can be hearable best on the g,b & e string.

srob, can you record something? I'm really interested of the sound and would compare it with mine! And I would really like to hear the Je-1000 or ABQ with another pickup except the J-50BC. I think I will replace my J-50BC with my old HZ just to hear the difference. Maybe it sounds better, who knows...

I'll see if I can manage something worth a damn. I just found out my brothers guitarist has a mixer and a recorder that saves to mp3 and can burn to disc, so I will see if i can record a few things with it showing all the diff freq. settings and so everyone can get an idea of how it sounds.

You should try the JE-1000 w/ your HZ, I bet it will sound better than the J50-BC. I personally liked your tone the best in your recordings with the HZ.

Funny how expensive those boosters are. Those components would cost ~10 dollars. Atleast MM-04 is pretty simple circuit, and I could make one in like hour :) Ofcourse it would take a much more space cause I don´t have equipment at home to do good circuit board.

If somebody could draw good circuit diagram from his JE-1000, I could do couple of those and sell to you :)

Funny how expensive those boosters are. Those components would cost ~10 dollars. Atleast MM-04 is pretty simple circuit, and I could make one in like hour :) Ofcourse it would take a much more space cause I don´t have equipment at home to do good circuit board.

If somebody could draw good circuit diagram from his JE-1000, I could do couple of those and sell to you :)

If you can make one I and I'm sure others would buy one from you.

Also, the EMG one isn't that expensive. I believe you can buy it on its own for no more than $25.00 US Dollars. I mean the set with the ABQ and HZ Pickup cost 99.00 US and the PU by itself it 70.00-80.00 US dollars so......... yea, not to pricey.

Now the MM-04 I thought was a bit extreme in price, but thats just supply and demand for ya.

Have you checked my pics for the Je-1000?

Yes, thank for those!

Just installed J-50BC. At moment I only have Micro Cube and MMV-06 BO with MM-04 booster, but I can say that this sounds better than HZ-H4. The different must come much bigger when playing throuh some good amp, because Micro Cube sounds pretty bad, atleast when playing last 2 years with GP-1000 :)

Completely black J-50BC looks also much cooler than HZ-H4, witch is little grey, and gay :headbang:

idk i like how EMG HZ looks:) i own EMG HZ H4 on my LTD without any booster
and i can tell u that it sounds very well in my opinion....though when i first installed it on my Ibanez it didnt sound that well

Yes, excuse my angerburst. Carry on! The ABQ interests me too kinda...the afterburner is shit but this one could well be something useful.

*Ignores Fastbodoms post*

The Only thing that fast bodom does that I dont Understand Is randomly Giving Some of the verbs A capital letter.
I'm no member of The g-police but I don't Get it.

google.
PX4:
Features
The Korg PX4 has something close to 120 effect combinations. It serves as a multi-effects processor, amp and speaker cabinet modeler, headphone guitar amp, rhythm machine, jammer/looper, and so forth. The presets presets are quite good. I especially like the UK'80s preset and the various guitar synth presets (synth, organ, flute).

I find the PX4 to provide excellent sound quality. I have read a few user reviews that indicated the sound quality was not adequate for studio recordings due to noise and so forth. Perhaps it is not adequate for professional studios, but it is more than adequate for home studios. The only time I hear noise, hiss, or signal degradation is through the wireless headphones. However, when connected directly to my computer's sound card, the sound is pristine. The only exception is when I am using a high gain preset and I turn my strat towards the computer/monitor--but that is a single-coil guitar pickup issue, not a PX4 problem.

Here are the PX4's specs:
Effects 124 types, Maximum number of effects available simultaneously: 7
Programs User: 50, Factory Presets: 50
Inputs Guitar input (1/4" jack)
AUX for CD/MP3 player (mini stereo jack)
4.5VDC (AC to DC 4.5V power supply)
Outputs Line/headphone (stereo 1/4" phone jack) (I use this direct into the computer soundboard or mixer with excellent results.
Infared output to wireless headphones. (A bit noisy, but it works.)
Tuner Detection range: 27.5Hz-2,093Hz(A0-C7), Calibration: A=438Hz-445Hz
Rhythm section 39 rhythm and bass patterns
40 - 208 B.P.M.
Recorder: Jam / phrase looper / Phrase trainer maximum 32 seconds recording time
Two measures of click
Infrared transmitter Frequency modulation type,
Carrier frequency (right/left)2.8 MHz/2.3 MHz
Power supply Four AAA alkaline batteries
Allows 10 hours of continuous use (infrared transmitter OFF, backlight OFF)
Allows 5 hours of continuous use (infrared transmitter ON, backlight OFF)
Optional AC adapter (DC4.5V)
Dimensions and weight 2.99"(W)x4.57"(D)x1.06"(H)
76(W)x112(D)x27(H)mm
0.31lbs./138g (not including batteries)
Included items Four AAA alkaline batteries,Strap Holder

PX4D
Features:

Numerous built-in, high-quality effects using "REMS" modeling technology

A total of 158 effect types ranging from realistic amp sounds - including high-quality cabinets - to sophisticated effects

200 programs provided - 100 preset and 100 user-programmable

Offers up to seven effects simultaneously

Knob-based interface for quick and intuitive editing

The Phrase Trainer function offering a great way to learn by ear or practice soloing

One hundred rhythm and bass patterns cover a variety of styles with realistic PCM sound

AUX IN jack lets you play along with external CD, MD, or MP3 audio sources

Key Transpose lets you shift the key of an inputted audio source

Bass Canceller function removes the sound of the bass from an external audio source

Built-in Auto Chromatic Tuner with Mute function provides for silent tuning

Semi-transparent LCD illuminates the characters in inverse video when backlit

Two-way power supply lets you use either batteries or a separately sold AC adaptor
High-quality Effects Utilize "REMS" Modeling Technology
The PX4D contains 158 effects that deliver vintage amp sounds and much more. From high-end tube amps to rare vintage amps and classic favorites, the 25 amp types faithfully model the amp sounds sought after by guitarists and bassists from every genre. The 23 cabinet effects that reproduce the acoustic and structural resonances of a speaker cabinet were created especially for the PX4D. The creative possibilities are limitless - you can even combine a guitar amp with a bass cabinet.

In addition to standards such as compressor and wah, numerous realistic modeling effects are available in this Pandora guitar effects processor, that deliver a highly versatile range of tones, including:

Pickup modeling that transforms the sound of a single-coil pickup into that of a humbucking pickup (or vice versa)

A guitar (bass) synth that lets you play synth sounds

An intelligent pitch shifter that automatically harmonizes with your playing

A talk effect that produces the impression that your guitar is speaking

A slow attack effect that creates violin-type swells

A feedback effect that allows feedback playing techniques that are normally only possible at high volumes

A rotary speaker that changes speed in response to your picking or fingering dynamics

A fretless bass effect that simulates the distinctive sound of a fretless bass
Many more that are ready for your use
200 Programs to Select
The Korg PX4D provides 100 preset programs covering a broad range of styles including sounds of famous artists. You can also create and store 100 of your own user programs.

Amp-like Ease of Operation
The user interface is knob-based for intuitive and easy use. Frequently used parameters, such as the amp type, have their own independent dial, and the tone controls can also be adjusted as easily as on a guitar or bass amp simply by turning the knobs. The value dial makes it simple to adjust amp types and parameter values, and the PX4D guitar effects processor also has a TAP button that you can use to set delay times or the tempo of a rhythm pattern.

100 Rhythm and Bass Patterns
The one hundred built-in rhythm patterns cover a broad range of styles that include rock, jazz, funk, blues and dance music. The PCM sounds used in these patterns produce realistic accompaniments that are fun to play along with. There are even Bass patterns that let you specify the key chord, so you can practice any style of music while listening to a full rhythm and bass line. Since you can use the effect programs at the same time as these bass patterns, it becomes a great way to practice your picking, improve your rhythm or develop your sense of pitch. You can also make Chain Pattern settings to combine up to sixteen different rhythm patterns.

Built-in Phrase Trainer
You can record up to 30 seconds onto the PX4D guitar effects processor from an audio source such as a CD, MD or MP3, and play it back repeatedly (looped) at a slower speed without changing the pitch. This is a great way to learn complex or rapid passages by ear, since you will be able to hear the phrase slowly. You can also record a phrase that you play yourself along with the built-in rhythm and bass accompaniment, and then practice soloing over the top of it.

Combine Your Playing with an External Source
You can connect a CD player or another external audio source to the AUX IN jack, and use the multi-effects processor's Key Transpose function to change the pitch of the song upward or downward by as much as one octave. The PX4D also contains a Bass Canceller function that erases the bass sound from an external audio source so that you can play and hear your bass along with the song.

Semitransparent LCD for Superb Visibility
The LCD that displays the names of effects and programs is backlit so you can read it easily even on a dimly lit stage, with icons representing numerous functions that are immediately recognizable. The display uses a semitransparent LCD so that characters and icons are lit up when backlit, providing a very distinctive appearance. The unit also comes with a strap holder so that you can attach it directly to your instrument strap.

both are shitty digital effect shit.

I got today finally Alexi-600, after 4 years waiting :) I know that Micro Cube isn´t best amp out there, but with only EMG HZ-H4 it souded horrifying :D Sounded same as opening only little the volume on guitar, no distortion. But it is very easy to play compared to MMV-06, strings are little bit lower and somehow "faster" neck. And great guitar all the way!

And last 6 hours I been just modifying the guitar. First time playing with Floyd Rose, much of work to change the strings and stuff. I deside to but MM-04 inside the guitar, so the original bling bling volume pot is on it place, and I won´t gonna make any new holes to my guitar for MM-04 trim pot!

Ofcourse I changed HZ-H4 to J-50BC also. The change on the sound it huge (HZ vs. J-50BC+MM-04). Like puttin real pre-amp or distortionpedal front of my amp. Well, gainbooster is kind of pre-amp anyway...

I liked how Arcane's guitar sounded when he had the HZ-H4 and MM-04, sounds about identical to the ALX set I bought which has the HZ-H2.

Also, I love the way the HZ's look, with the 6 little pole pieces. Awesome, and you can buy new ones in a diff color if you want. I'm searching for some gold ones now to put in. It's gonna be sick!!!!

Did you try the MM-04 with the HZ at all?

You deff need to save up for a new amp now.

Also, I love the way the HZ's look

It was kind a joke, when I sayed that it looks boring :loco:

No, I did not. But my point is that MM-04/gainbooster REALLY makes something to the sound. Only changing passive pickup to an another... not really.

Do I :lol: Well, my guitar sounds so good now, so I can wait easily some months and try to make some money, but my goal is buy KORG PX 4(D) soon, and try to survive with that some time.

I think there must be a newer version of the Korg out now. I'm not sure if it's the 5d (could be that this is for acoustic guitar effects or only bass) but I'm sure there is a new one.

About the Korg PX 4 and the PX4D.... The PX4D is exactly the same but with more effects and settings.

Offtopic, but I bet that moust of you have Floyd Rose, and I think that many play stuff which is played in D and dropped-C. So do you change tuning very often, and does that need always tuning the Floyd also?

Arcace, can you tell what tansistors those two are in JE-1000? What I see from pictures, are K30A, and I guess that means 25K30ATM based on Googles results, but that another is harder, I had to cheat from my MM-04 to see what it says, and I wound CTSC 2240 GR. Closest transistor what looks like it is 2SC2240. It is old japanese Toshiba transistor so I´m not far away...

And are those pictures from your homemade JE-1000? There isn´t that big volume/gain pot. Only 3 white wires, I guess that those goes to some of your guitars pots?

And the last picture is from original JE-1000 (named JE1000photo)?

Also what is that white component middle on the circuit?

I got finish the JE-1000 diagram to LTSpice. Only component which I don´t know is that white in middle of the circuit, and now it really looks like thats the only component(!) which makes different between MM-04 and JE-1000. I can´t be sure, before I make closer look at MM-04 back. Have someone picture from it? It´s replased in MM-04 on little blue 47nF(?) capacitor. Well, I´m sure that that isn´t the reason why JE-1000 affects to tone more...

Arcane, could you ask from your friend who make your JE-1000, or look yourself what reads on those transistors and on that white capacitor (if that even is that)? Or someone else who have JE-1000?

I liked how Arcane's guitar sounded when he had the HZ-H4 and MM-04, sounds about identical to the ALX set I bought which has the HZ-H2.

Also, I love the way the HZ's look, with the 6 little pole pieces. Awesome, and you can buy new ones in a diff color if you want. I'm searching for some gold ones now to put in. It's gonna be sick!!!!

THE ALX IS NOT AN H-2! Although it is pretty close. I dropped the alx in my roope sig and it sounded a bit different than the H2. What it is is an H-2 with a ceramic/steel magnet instead of a ceramic, since the resistance shows that the winds are the same. The H4 will sound nothing like an H-2, except that all the HZ's sound like garbage, especially compared to something like a J-50BC.

Other garbage I've noticed written by retard noobs that needs clearing up: Alexi no longer uses blackouts, nor an MM04 most likely. All of his old guitars will keep the MM04 switch sitting there because it's better than a hole. Also you can't disengage the resonance shift on the ABQ, you can only turn on or off clean gain which doesn't affect the tone at all.

Someone wanted a 7 string J50BC, try a dimarzio PAF7. It's just a ceramic PAF.

I've had a j50bc in 3 guitars, one with a je1200, one with nothing, and one with an ABQ. I've also used 3 different j50bc's. Depending on when they were made they'll sound different.

All in all it's not that special of a pickup, but everything that Alexi has played since has sounded like garbage. To save a lot of hassle just get an eq pedal to boost mids and get a dimarzio or duncan.

THE ALX IS NOT AN H-2! Although it is pretty close. I dropped the alx in my roope sig and it sounded a bit different than the H2. What it is is an H-2 with a ceramic/steel magnet instead of a ceramic, since the resistance shows that the winds are the same. The H4 will sound nothing like an H-2, except that all the HZ's sound like garbage, especially compared to something like a J-50BC.

Other garbage I've noticed written by retard noobs that needs clearing up: Alexi no longer uses blackouts, nor an MM04 most likely. All of his old guitars will keep the MM04 switch sitting there because it's better than a hole. Also you can't disengage the resonance shift on the ABQ, you can only turn on or off clean gain which doesn't affect the tone at all.

Someone wanted a 7 string J50BC, try a dimarzio PAF7. It's just a ceramic PAF.

I've had a j50bc in 3 guitars, one with a je1200, one with nothing, and one with an ABQ. I've also used 3 different j50bc's. Depending on when they were made they'll sound different.

All in all it's not that special of a pickup, but everything that Alexi has played since has sounded like garbage. To save a lot of hassle just get an eq pedal to boost mids and get a dimarzio or duncan.

So if it's not an H2 what is it?

I know on an ESP site I recently looked at it had his new guitars with an EMG HZ-FH2 and the MM-04 installed. See below:

http://www.promusictools.com/esp.html#esp_musikmesse_2010

Also, tone is subjective...just because you think something sounds like garbage doesn't mean it does.

I personally think the J-50BC sounds thin and very under powered, but I still wouldn't call it garbage.....I would call it something I would never use.

So if it's not an H2 what is it?

I know on an ESP site I recently looked at it had his new guitars with an EMG HZ-FH2 and the MM-04 installed. See below:

http://www.promusictools.com/esp.html#esp_musikmesse_2010

Also, tone is subjective...just because you think something sounds like garbage doesn't mean it does.

I personally think the J-50BC sounds thin and very under powered, but I still wouldn't call it garbage.....I would call it something I would never use.

They haven't updated the esp's yet. When Mustaine got signature pickups it took awhile for them to be in his esp sig line. The pickup is called an emg-alx', it's on the sticker under the pickup and you can see the specs on the emg website (hence having a signature pickup). And yes without any kind of midboost the j50bc sounds terrible, which is why jackson put je1200s in their soloists back then.