Emperor

I really liked Emperor, Prometheus was their best record in my opinion. I'm really waiting the stuff Insahn will do next (not Peccatum), I read somewhere that Insahn would team up with Hellhammer, but don't know if it's true or not...Or maybe Insahn joins Arcturus and replace Garm, heh, ok maybe not...

Prometheus, I think, is an album that would be extremely difficult to beat. As svenske kocken said: "you should stop at the top" and Prometheus was the top. It would have been interesting to see what was after Prometheus had the band stayed together, and if the next album had beaten Prometheus...

Originally posted by Slipknot_isn't_metal
one of my top 5 bands along with Opeth and Enslaved. :cool:

What do you think of Enslaved's first two albums Vikingligr Verdi and Frost? I find the first one boring, but the second one is rather good. Actually half of the songs on Frost are no less than excellent, but the rest is somewhat similarily boring than VV.

I've been thinking of increasing my Enslaved collection with Eld and maybe Yggdrasil (the one with Jhva Elohim Methish coverimage), but I'm not sure about them yet. Recommendation/opinions?

emperor is truly great. my faves are in the nightside eclipse and anthems.. among the best pieces of music ever made in this genre.

but im sure we'll see emperor reunited sometime :)

Originally posted by Rosa Negra Imortal
Emperor's Prometheus is all that good or it's just this new black metal stuff?

It's not even black metal anymore, at least I don't think so. It's above all the others (and probably any metal band I've heard) in complexity and originality. To me it feels ahead of it's time, I can see more bands following a similar path. I how they have these long riffs, that are actually more like mini-movemments in a twisted symphony...Very cool stuff! Tryms drumming is whay gives this album the only feeling of BM at all, through his trademark blasts and double bass work, but the rest is just otherworldly. Get it!:)

Originally posted by Till Fjalls

It's not even black metal anymore, at least I don't think so.

I want you to go right now and put 'In the Worldless Chamber' on, pump it up and tell me it's not black metal!!

I agree that a lot of the other tracks have moments here and there that isn't black metal, but I still get a black metal feeling from it a lot of the time.

I would not recommend getting Prometheus first, Interesti. Prometheus is actually the last Emperor album I got, and if I had gotten it first, not only would I have ignored the other albums, but I would have been disappointed. I suggest getting them in the order they came out. Which is close to the reverse order in which I like them. If you intend to collect CDs by a band, never get the best one first, it will ruin all the rest.

I agree with Requiem. Emperor has always had an influence from classical music, but this time it doesn't just sound like classical music, it almost is classical music, yet even more complicated and with extra instruments.

Honestly, I place Prometheus on par with Opeth.

Edit: grammar

I want you to go right now and put 'In the Worldless Chamber' on, pump it up and tell me it's not black metal!!

I don't know man, some of it is kinda Bm-ish. As I said, I feel the drumming gives it the feel, but the riffs are so well composed and different from what black metal is "supposedly" about. THat song does have a lot of the feel of BM, but I still the the black elemnts of the album are the exception, and far from the rule. Anyone looking for a black metal masterpiece would not get a recommendation from me....But if they were looking for a progressive, extreme album with extremely tasteful Bm elemts, hell yeah! Get it!

Honestly, I place Prometheus on par with Opeth.

Right you are, if not beyond Opeth. BUt only as a band. As for the songwriters (Isahn vs Akerfeldt) I think Isahn easily takes the cake in terms of technicality, and strange yet amazing riffs. The only thing Emperor lack is some of the immediateness of impact that a lot of Opeth's emotional riffs had. BUt that is not a bad thing at all as far as I'm concerned...

Originally posted by Demonspell
Herald - IX is a very underrated album. Decrystallizing Reason, the title track, Elegy Of Icarus, and Of Blindness are among their best songs.
I think IX Equillibrium is their weakest (or least good) album as well, but what do you expect after the milestone of an album that is "Anthems...".

It's a great loss that they are gone, I think they could have delivered another couple of great albums, but then stopping at a high point does create some sort of "legend" status, a bit the same like At The Gates, they stopped at their highlight too.

Prometheus is definitely Emperor's most complex record, and therefore perhaps hard for a lot of people to get into, but I was definitely pleased with it after the (for me) disappointing IX Equillibrium. That intro is just fucking awesome! Prometheus is one mighty closing chapter to Emperor's carreer.

Prometheus is easily their worst, or should I say least good, record. It´s nothing compared to In The Nightside... and Anthems..., or even IX Equilibrium.
What about "Wrath of the tyrant"? I have the other four "In the...", "Anthems..", "IX.." & "Prometheus.." and I like them all, but the stuff I heard from "Wrath of the tyrant" was really, really crappy! I bought the pic-disc to trade it with a guy in Australia, so I only heard the clips on cdnow, but that was awful. It's hard to belive they could evolve and make a great album like "In the..." after that!

I still remember the first time I put Nightside Eclipse on, I was drunk as fuck (really, really hammered) and I said this sucks after the first minute. But when I listened to it sober (even now drunk) all I can say is WOW. Emperor was the fuckin' shit.

I like Emperor's albums in this order:
1: IX Equilibrium
2: In the nightside eclipse
3: Prometheus
4: Anthems to the welkin at dusk

The reason why "Anthems.." is last is because I bought it not long ago. I by records all the time, so I haven't really the time to listen so much too it. Besides that I also think the production on it is pretty messed up. "IX.." has a far better production. On "Anthems.." a lot of the stuff just sounds caotic.

Emperor is god. and somberlain is insane, not in the good way. The older material is the epitomy and quintessence of black metal, the frightful chaotic rythms and melodies cascading, with the vocals maddeningly shrieking (thankfully mixed low in the back/middleground), all to the point of insanity, but as you reach the insanity you truly see the musical beauty shine through, like moonlight through dark clouds. it is mind bending, and takes one on a journey of thought. nightside is simply great, as is anthems. i thnk the reason people like prometheus so much here (unlike other places) is that you are all opeth fans as well.

I agree that Emperor is/was the best black metal and Nightside is my favorite..

lp.jpg

-iz