Opeth's Anthem?

Powers

Good Morning USA!
Nov 7, 2005
Sunderland, U.K.
www.rackaforum.com
Led Zeppelin have Black Dog, Motorhead have Ace of Spades, Emperor have I am the Black Wizards. But What is Opeth's Anthemic song? Not their best, not your favourite but their most anthemic? My vote goes to When.

paradoxile said:
Advent or Face of Melinda IMO
No way in hell.

Demon of the Fall, without doubt.
No one is asking which song got you hooked.
I mean its logical. Opeth's encore = Demon of the Fall. People in the audience yell = Demon of the Fall.
You'd have to be retarded to think otherwise.

Powers said:
Zeppelin was a bad example as i think they've got a few that are equally as anthemic.

Yes, because let's nt forget Immigrant Song and Stairway To Heavan.

I would say, for Opeth, it's hard to pick one song, as none of the songs as wholes are that 'anthemic' (except perhaps A Fair Judgement). Rather, most of the songs have 'anthemic' bits. So, these are my bits:

When - 'And I crieeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...'

Blackwater Park - The gargantuan riff that is first played acoustically before systematically assaulting all listeners in it's blistering grooviness. Early in the song.

In My Time Of Need - Chorus

Godhead's Lament - The whole section with the solo and then 'Searching my waaaaay to perplexion, ahhhhh ahhhhh ahhhhh'

Demon Of The Fall - The bit with the title in it, or 'Run away, run away etc.'

The Baying Of the Hounds - 'Everything you believed is a lie...etc'

The Moor - 'Pale touch...'

A Fair Judgement - All of it :lol:

Serenity Painted Death - 'White face, haggared grin...' etc.

I can't think of more right now, but there are plenty :)

this is quickly turning into "what is everyone's favorite song."

I agree though, that the song that probably got the most people into Opeth is Drapery Falls.

Braighs said:
In Mist She Was Standing
or
Demon of the Fall
or
The Drapery Falls

IMSWS - This sets up that Opethian atmosphere. It takes you to a place from which most other songs can be viewed.

DotF - IS Opeth's anthem - Its their most "condensed" material. No solo to "detract" from the flow of the song. epic, sing-along parts throughout.

TDF - Is just a good display of their versatility.

It depends on how you understand "anthemic"...you could understand it as the song everyone is waiting for the band to play or it could be the song where everyone sings along.
If we're talking about sing along then yes I would agree with most of you...Drapery Falls is quite catchy...also could be Master's Aprentices, as catchy but not as good.
as for the songs everyone is waiting to be played are Advent and Face of Melinda at least I know in Israel most of the opeth fans think so...

Deja vu...didn't we have this thread just a month or so ago?

The demon, When or The Drapery Falls, althought I don't like TDF that much. It's kind of boring to me.