Opeth's Anthem?

ChrisEmerson said:
Demon of the fall is unfortunately it.

It should be bleak though, i think most people get hooked on that, not drapery.
Who cares what song people get hooked on?! We're asking for the anthem here.

paradoxile said:
It depends on how you understand "anthemic"...you could understand it as the song everyone is waiting for the band to play or it could be the song where everyone sings along.
If we're talking about sing along then yes I would agree with most of you...Drapery Falls is quite catchy...also could be Master's Aprentices, as catchy but not as good.
as for the songs everyone is waiting to be played are Advent and Face of Melinda at least I know in Israel most of the opeth fans think so...

Perplexingly enough it's both really; A song 95% of people are waiting for (and expect) which, they know all the lyrics to.

If it's a question of you're defintion of "anthemic" or "anthemia", what kind of anthemic is "Run to the Hills" for Maiden? Or Iron Man for Black Sabbath?

The song that I have seen the people go nuts for when Opeth plays it is Deliverance. I think even though it is mellow for the most part, it gets the crowds booty shakin and a groovin.

My favorite song for a while was "Baying of the Hounds", until I was really stoned one night on some killer Hydro Bud, and sat back and enjoyed "Beneath the Mire". I love the way that the song "builds" from very mellow, to open and airy, to heavy to psycho heavy, back to melodic and structured, to a laid back jazz and piano groove, then to a whimsical guitar part, to heavy death growl, back to structured clean driving metal, then to an open airy guitar rif, to heavy pounding death metal, to a killer staccato drum ending fading off in to the distance...... bad ass. Wish I could conceive of music like that.

Kenneth R. said:
not your favorite song but your username :lol:

Hes lying, DoTF is really his favorite song, and from this thread, it seems uncool to like it. I love DoTF, one of my favorite Opeth songs. And yes, that is the song everyone thinks of when they think of Opeth. But not everyone knows Opeth like all of the other bands listed.

Demon is not one of their worst or best IMO, but it definitely is the most anthemic...the chorus is nuts and it's a fan favorite.

paradoxile said:
as for the songs everyone is waiting to be played are Advent and Face of Melinda at least I know in Israel most of the opeth fans think so...
Face Of Melinda is one of the few Opeth songs which i never wish to see live (with others like Weakness, Hours Of Wealth and half of Damnation...), because that would be a waste of playing time considering the amount of great songs Opeth have.
Advent is another story. i'd love to see this one live, it's one of my Opeth faves and surely the best on Morningrise but i'm not sure if they are able to reproduce the atmosphere of this song on stage.

Hypnos said:
Face Of Melinda is one of the few Opeth songs which i never wish to see live (with others like Weakness, Hours Of Wealth and half of Damnation...), because that would be a waste of playing time considering the amount of great songs Opeth have.

generally I agree with you with the exception of face of melinda...there's something special about this one

blimey said:
No way in hell.

Demon of the Fall, without doubt.
No one is asking which song got you hooked.
I mean its logical. Opeth's encore = Demon of the Fall. People in the audience yell = Demon of the Fall.
You'd have to be retarded to think otherwise.

Agreed.