Engl amps.

Actually, when I think of Engl, the first things that come to mind are "excessive high mids that can far-too-often lead to a nasal sound" and "often dry and unsaturated sounding" :lol: Blackmore would be perfect for you I'd imagine dude!

To elaborate on my feelings on their models, as far as I know:

Fireball - Raw as all fucking hell, lots of high mids and thus potential for nasaliness if tweaked wrong (this is just the Engl sound, so just assume it for every one of their models). Check out the tones on the first two Scar Symmetry albums for a good idea of its tone; they're quite different in some ways, but I feel that owes more to different cab/guitar/mic/something choice, as those dry upper mids are still there from the amp. I dunno, I think it's kinda cool.

Powerball - Like the Fireball, just more unpleasantly grainy; more channels/options, but not more tone IMO!

Blackmore - Can't really say, don't have much experience with it (and haven't heard many clips), but I'd say a slightly tamed Savage

Savage 120 - THE definitive Engl amp IMO; listen to Dimmu's In Sorte Diaboli or Ola/Goddamn Guitar's clips; I still lust for a Savage honestly, it's the perfect refinement of that Engl sound IMO!

Invader - Super middy, djent machine - no thanks (maybe it can do more, but I have yet to hear a clip that didn't sound djenty tone-wise, even if the music wasn't!)

SE - Everything and the kitchen sink!

I'm heavily tempted to get me a Fireball again... maybe the new 100 watts model. I don't really want more power but it has some features that I missed on my old FB. Like independent gain control for both channels...

I always had the mids fairly high on the FB... but then again, it did move considerably more air in the low mids than my Krank does. Which is the only tiny issue I have with the Rev Jr Pro.

I pretty much played every Engl amp so far and the only one I really didn't like was the - surprise, surprise - Poopball.

Blackmore is much smoother than the Fireball, Savage kinda too. Invader somewhat in between... Screamer and Thunder very nice too.

Invader - Super middy, djent machine - no thanks (maybe it can do more, but I have yet to hear a clip that didn't sound djenty tone-wise, even if the music wasn't!)

I think the Invader has been misunderstood because of the fact, that it seems to be the amp of choice with the "djent" scene and they have their way of EQ'ing the amp and using the amp with cabs like the Orange PPC.

I love my Invader and I don't like that thin, honky djent tone at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that tone, it just doesen't do anything for me. Channel 3 on the Invader is somewhat scooped, and it has that cool growl to it.

My ideal rhythm tone is a mixture of Jeff Loomis' tone of DHIADW and Dino Cazarez's tone on Demanufacture. I think I have gotten very close on the 3rd channel. Combine the Invader with a Mesa Recto 4X12" and it sounds wicked. Aggressive, mean and chunky.

If needed, I can track some clips tomorrow.

Yeah the Djent-people don't really do the amp justice... or at least showcase just a tiny bit of the capabilities.

Same thing with the Axe-FX!

Engl thunder with a tubescreamer is GREAT!!!!
IMO best Engl amp, followed by the Fireball.

A friend of mine has an very old thunder, he changed the tubes and pimped the Bios and his amp sounds like a fucking mixed record:)

engl = bye bye mids, hello gain. That's all I've felt with these amps. I've recorded a bunch of 'em... fireball(just too fizzy), blackmore(owned this for a month, sucked balls compared to a 6505 or JCM800), invader(didn't get one GREAT sound from it. trying to be too versatile imo...), savage(quite scooped, but the best engl so far what I've tried and recorded)