Epica in NYC

Yeah well I got some weeks to get into it before then...I will try harder.

I will likely get there to watch all the bands to get my moneys worth and hopefully get to be a railrat for Alestorm and Epica.

despite their co-singer's blazing hotness.

As in Miri Milman? That's an affirmative on the blazing hotness...

Picture-291-535x710.png

I saw Epica in San Diego last night and they were amazing. There is something about this band live that is so great. I think it is just the positive energy on stage and them having fun. Even thought the music itself is heavy and serious, they always seem like they are having a blast Simone had a cold and was losing her voice, which meant they cut a song from the setlist. But Simone was a trooper and even at about 70% she still sounded better than many singers I see live. I debated seeing them again so soon after seeing them at PP, but even with a slightly shortened setlist and Simone avoiding some notes, it was so worth the drive and money.

Epica were damn good last night, and Simone sounded remarkably good for being sick. You could tell she was straining at times, but she definitely still gave it her all. That said, Insomnium owned the night for me. They're one of my three favorite bands and the five year gap since their last tour was far, far too long. Niilo's vocals were maybe a touch too high in the mix, but their guitar melodies cut through beautifully and they sounded absolutely brilliant. A friend and I are driving up to LA tonight to see the tour again, hoping that Insomnium swaps out a song or two as they've been doing throughout the tour, but even if it's the exact same set, I'll be stoked to see it.

If you're going to see this tour (which, I realize it's already mostly over) and can deal with growled vocals, do yourself a favor and get there early enough to see Insomnium, they're worth it.