Evergrey- Monday Morning Apocalypse (review/spoilers inside)

DragonOfBlood said:
Boohoo! You gotta be a fuckup to come to a band's messageboard and kiss their asses up and down. You're nothing more than a pathetic fanboy who'll buy anything that Evergrey stamps their name on. The new album sucks, plain and simple. It's nothing more than an attempt to break into the mainstream markets and anyone that listens to it without the ears of a fucking fanboy can hear the album for exactly that. If you think this is even remotely close to former Evergrey releases you're either retarded, deaf, drunk or a fanboy. In your case, it seems to be a combination of all four.

No I'm a fan... I like the album... I'll be enjoying it. You don't like it... it sucks to be you.

There are many bands that have stopped making music I like... guess what... I don't hang around their message boards crying like a bitch and acting personally offended by everybody who says they like the album. I move on and find stuff I do like.

The difference between me and you is that you've obviously got nothing going for you in life.

It's quite sad actually.

DragonOfBlood said:
Oh, I get it! You're one of those mentally vapid dumbasses that can't make a real argument, so you have to make things up and use pathetic juvenile insults to try to hide the fact that your arguments are moronic.

Good job!

No, I was making an assessement... and by the looks of it, I've hit close to home.

Well, after reading all of the posts on the board, I figured it was time to post my own first reply...

First of all, I consider myself to be a hardcore fan; I own all the albums, the DVD, met the band during the Iced Earth/Evergrey/Children of Bodom tour... So I am familiar with the material and I call them my favorite band.

After hearing MMA, I have to say that I am disappointed. I don't think the album sucks in its own right, but like many have said, it's just not EVERGREY. I'll say that the music is "fun" to listen to, catchy, and heavy.. but there is a lot missing.

My first problem is with the incredibly short songs. It seems that when these songs on MMA actually end around the 3-4 minute mark, what they really should be doing is breaking into a progressive change in the song or going into a blazing solo. But no, they END.

This leads me into the lack of good musicianship. Where is the talent that we have seen in previous albums? All of these riffs have been rehashed time and time again in some form or another in the mainstream metal genre. (Old) Evergrey shed new light and brought something fresh to the table. In Search of Truth is an absolute masterpiece, displaying the full range of musical styles this band is capable of. Recreation Day is my personal favorite, and as someone previously said, there is not a bad song on the album.

This album, Monday Morning Apocalypse, just isn't AMBITIOUS enough. It sounds like these guys just sat around and thought of a few riffs, which turned into short, incomplete songs. It's only half finished. With some hard work it could be something decent, but to true Evergrey fans this is almost a joke. They have certainly taken a step backward with this album, sounding very "suppressed" and cliche. Lyrically, aside from a few songs, it's very shallow.

"Inside out, I'm going outside in"....WTF!

For those of you who haven't heard the album yet, it's catchy, heavy, short, and shallow. If those don't bother you then you might enjoy the album very much. If you are like many of us who have been fans for a long time, then you might be disappointed. Don't expect anything like any of the previous albums. MMA is closest to TIC, due to the song structure, although TIC is better in my opinion.

Let's hope they go back to their roots and write another ambitious concept masterpiece.. Just my two cents, thanks guys.

NeonKnite said:
No, I was making an assessement... and by the looks of it, I've hit close to home.

No, you really haven't hit anywhere close to home, but you can keep pretending your juvenile fanboy bullshit makes you a "true fan".:tickled:

Snowmaker said:
I think anyone who doesn't like that album, but likes all the Matt Barlow stuff, has not given it a true chance. Gettysburg is such a great epic. Tim may be no Matt, but he still has a hell of a voice.

But anyway, I've gone off topic here.

Why do you assume I don't like the album because of Tim Owens? I don't like the album because the lyrics are a huge block of cheddar, the music is boring and redundant, and the album is just poorly written all around. Gettysburg is about 10 minutes too long, the riffs are boring as hell. The only good part is "High Water Mark." Gettysburg isn't even in the same league as Something Wicked, and it has nothing to do with Tim Owens.

DragonOfBlood said:
Why do you assume I don't like the album because of Tim Owens? I don't like the album because the lyrics are a huge block of cheddar, the music is boring and redundant, and the album is just poorly written all around. Gettysburg is about 10 minutes too long, the riffs are boring as hell. The only good part is "High Water Mark." Gettysburg isn't even in the same league as Something Wicked, and it has nothing to do with Tim Owens.

I happen to like The Glorius Burden a lot.... is it my favorite IE album? Nope. I am realistic though, I don't expect every release by a band to top the next. I understand that bands evolve overtime... and that each release represents a period in time. Bands try different things... take chances.. etc... TGB is certainly better than "Horror Show" which is their weakest release IMO.

I loved Barlow too... but his heart wasn't in it anymore and Ripper was the next best choice. He sang his ass off on TGB.

I can't wait for the SW double album...

Snowmaker said:
Because that's why most Iced Earth fans don't like it, so I just assumed.

I agree SWTWC is a better album, but I like Burden very much too.

Nope, I don't mind Tim Owens. Obviously I prefer Matt Barlow (he's a more unique singer) but Tim is a good replacement.

Jon Schaffer's writing is the reason I don't like "The Glorious Burden".

hmmm,all the posts here got me depressed and pesimistic...but I have now heard the album...and IM BUYING IT!!! I am so happy! its a great album! I love every song! man,I can't wait to get my hands on the CD<3

Like I said, it's not a "bad" album, just one that's not expected from a band who can put out a much better effort.

Xenoslayer33 said:
Like I said, it's not a "bad" album, just one that's not expected from a band who can put out a much better effort.

Well, we don't know that, do we? It may not be what "I expected", or thought it would sound like either. But that doesn&#8217;t necessarily mean that it would have better. On the other hand, what could you possible "expect" from a band without asking them to repeat themselves? In my humble opinion.

I enjoy it a lot though, just what I've done with all the other Evergrey albums in different ways, and that's what's important to me.

By the way, I recall people going on with Recreation being "not as a EG album should be" and The Inner Circle "disappointing" etc. If I could choose, I would not have wanted EG to not recorded any of the previous albums. The same goes for MMA.

^I'm not looking at the album in terms of the change in style.. In fact I welcome change. I'm talking about the technical aspects. They are capable of better in terms of quality and musicianship. Personally, I enjoy listening to MMA as well, but I don't feel as if they have put the effort into this album as they have in the past.

I'm glad you like it, and I'm not forcing my opinion on yours. I will be buying it when it comes out, if only to add it to the collection.

peza said:
By the way, I recall people going on with Recreation being "not as a EG album should be" and The Inner Circle "disappointing" etc. If I could choose, I would not have wanted EG to not recorded any of the previous albums. The same goes for MMA.

Yes, it was the same with "The Inner Circle".

I found it quite amusing that many of the same people were criticizing the album title as soon as it was announced.

Valentine said:
hmmm,all the posts here got me depressed and pesimistic...but I have now heard the album...and IM BUYING IT!!! I am so happy! its a great album! I love every song! man,I can't wait to get my hands on the CD<3

Me too! Rock on brotha!

Xenoslayer33 said:

agreed..
my another point is,that it's not Evergrey,but smt like "EverBlue"
despite thoose it s a good album and i ll of course buy it
i m still an Evergrey fan :headbang:

I'm not sure how some of you were expecting "heavier" with the production team they used... these guys produced "Bon Jovi, Britney Spears and Def Leppard" among others.

Frankly, given that, the album turned out quite well.

NeonKnite said:
I'm not sure how some of you were expecting "heavier" with the production team they used... these guys produced "Bon Jovi, Britney Spears and Def Leppard" among others.

Frankly, given that, the album turned out quite well.
I disagree. I preferred Tom, Henrik, and Rikard's management of the sound to what I'm hearing here. It doesn't appear this pop producer duo knows what metal fans might be looking for and the mix doesn't work.

sknight said:
I disagree. I preferred Tom, Henrik, and Rikard's management of the sound to what I'm hearing here. It doesn't appear this pop producer duo knows what metal fans might be looking for and the mix doesn't work.

No, my point was that I expected much worse. Anytime a band uses a procuer with credits along those lines it's usually a complete disaster.

Look at Def Leppard's "X" album... that's a complete trainwreck.

I imagine that Tom and the guys tempered some of the producers ideas somewhat so that it still retains a lot of the Evergrey greatness even if it's not as heavy and/or complex as past albums.

That said... I wouldn't mind seeing the band do a complete 180 and go ultra-heavy / complex on the next album.

Still, I don't mind variety as long as at it's core it's good stuff.

sknight said:
And at ISOT, we didn't get another SDT. When RD was released, we didn't get another ISOT, so what's your point?

When a band stops producing, I move on to other bands that are.

Hey Jaimek, remember the talk about bilateral moderation we had?

And I took the liberty of highlighting some thought provoking words and phrases.

That's thoughtful of you buddy, I'm glad you took the liberty of highlighting stuff. Maybe if you read the entire post you just might get my point dumbass.

I'm not including Recreation in my statement, just as I said before: the first THREE albums. They were all tied with a cohesive bond of progressive, melodic, emotional yet driving metal and Recreation is where the main differences in style began to happen. Why am I explaining this to you again? As an authority on the band you of all people should get this...

Try harder when coming up with a clever reply next time.